Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hbo 'earning reduced tp's' DUB - LHR means what exactly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I'm curious about this 'earning reduced tier points' option.
You can select it for club fares yet all club fares earn the same tier points regardless of fare bucket right? So what's the ' lowest fare earning reduced tp's' option do there? Nothing? I've always selected that and got full tp's and expected them,I presume it's a glitch?

It's also there for Economy however and here's where it does do something different in that not choosing it brings you a much higher fare (200+ more in my dummy booking vs a HBO) which increases ticket flexibility alright but does it affect tp's? A DUB - LHR HBO or any cheap BA metal fare on that route will earn 20 tp's return right?

So should that 'earning reduced tp's' option actually say 'reduced flexibility fare' ?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Earthman
I'm curious about this 'earning reduced tier points' option.
You can select it for club fares yet all club fares earn the same tier points regardless of fare bucket right? So what's the ' lowest fare earning reduced tp's' option do there?
It used to disappear when you selected an option other than economy. But like many things that are supposed to disappear (eg half of the list of cabins if you selected a short-haul destination), you could outpace the speed of the script on the page so that the "reduced tier points" option would remain even if you selected Club. I suspect that something more has now gone wrong with the code for the page, so that the option never disappears.
It's also there for Economy however and here's where it does do something different in that not choosing it brings you a much higher fare (€200+ more in my dummy booking vs a HBO) which increases ticket flexibility alright but does it affect tp's? A DUB - LHR HBO or any cheap BA metal fare on that route will earn 20 tp's return right?
If you choose "reduced tier points" on an economy fare, you may well get a less flexible fare, because a "full tier points" fare will be in Y, B or H booking classes which may well be more flexible than the lowest available economy class, which is what you'll get if you choose "reduced tier points".

Y, B and H fares earn double the TPs that discount economy fares earn - that's why there's a reference to "full tier points" as opposed to "reduced tier points".
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser

Y, B and H fares earn double the TPs that discount economy fares earn - that's why there's a reference to "full tier points" as opposed to "reduced tier points".
Aye,I'd forgotten about UK domestic and Spanish domestics earning in Economy just 10 tp's each way.Is that the case also for the lowest fare discount economy fares on Euro traveler DUB-LHR?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aye,I'd forgotten about UK domestic and Spanish domestics earning in Economy just 10 tp's each way.Is that the case also for the lowest fare discount economy fares on Euro traveler DUB-LHR?
Spanish domestics earn 5 TPs each way and 10 TPs in full fare Y (I think) and 20 TPs in domestic J.

In the UK there's 10 TP for discount Y and 20 TPs for full fare Y (sometimes called "Business UK").

DUB-LHR is a European non-domestic route, much like AMS or PAR: 10 TPs in discount Y, 20 TPs in flex Y, and 40 TPs in J.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It used to disappear when you selected an option other than economy. But like many things that are supposed to disappear (eg half of the list of cabins if you selected a short-haul destination), you could outpace the speed of the script on the page so that the "reduced tier points" option would remain even if you selected Club. I suspect that something more has now gone wrong with the code for the page, so that the option never disappears.If you choose "reduced tier points" on an economy fare, you may well get a less flexible fare, because a "full tier points" fare will be in Y, B or H booking classes which may well be more flexible than the lowest available economy class, which is what you'll get if you choose "reduced tier points".
It's gone wrong in another way as well recently. I've done some economy searches recently where I was only offered 2 of the 3 possible options - lowest fare with full TP and flexible conditions with full TP. The lowest fare/reduce TP option wasn't present, although the search itself did end up showing those fares on the flights were they were available on one occasion.

The bug does seem to be intermittent, though. Not sure if it's a cookie issue or script timing or what (and TBH I'm not inclined to investigate at the moment.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.