Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth taking a gluten-free meal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Just wanted to come back and let you know that I ordered the gluten free meal on the way out. Starter was a fig salad, main was poached fish and mashed potato and desert was fruit. To be honest, I'm a bit of a finickity eater so the salad and desert were no good for me at all and I didn't fancy the main meal at all. Fortunately, I was able to get my first choice from the 'normal' menu (sea bass and rice) and I'd brought some snack so I didn't go hungry. Gotta say though that the gluten free meal they give you is the work of Satan - most revolting thing I've ever eaten and I don't understand why they insist on serving it with margarine instead of butter.

Thankfully it turned out that I was not wheat intolerant so I can go for the normal meal going forward but I thought I'd share my limited experience in case anyone else is afflicted.

1F
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
Just wanted to come back and let you know that I ordered the gluten free meal on the way out. Starter was a fig salad, main was poached fish and mashed potato and desert was fruit. To be honest, I'm a bit of a finickity eater so the salad and desert were no good for me at all and I didn't fancy the main meal at all. Fortunately, I was able to get my first choice from the 'normal' menu (sea bass and rice) and I'd brought some snack so I didn't go hungry. Gotta say though that the gluten free meal they give you is the work of Satan - most revolting thing I've ever eaten and I don't understand why they insist on serving it with margarine instead of butter.

1F
I'm gluten sensitive and occasionally order the GF meal. The meal is designed to be adapted for other special meal options, too. One of my GF Club Europe meals still had a sticker on, saying its gluten free, low calorie and bland choice. No wonder they taste so naff.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:26 am

Slightly OT, but recently flew LHR-HND in F with a companion who ordered a vegetarian meal well in advance. This request seemed not to have registered as companion was simply directed to the one vegetarian option on the F menu (which was luckily available).

Not worth complaining, etc. but seemed a bit odd. In theory, do BA provide all of the special meal options to a "standard" which corresponds to each of the four LH travel classes?

Edit: I know they have removed / are removing it, but would like to see what comes up for Fruit Meal in F!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Not sure if I understand your question, the vegetarian meal should have been loaded if it was in the reservation, as it was not loaded that's why they were directed to the menu.
Was the special meal in Manage my Booking and did they book this or did an agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.