Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering special meal reduction

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Catering special meal reduction

Haven't seen this on the forum yet, apologies if it has been posted already.
Received the below in an email from BA

Catering Special Meal Reduction
British Airways will be removing the following special meals from its catering offering from 1 October 2014:
• Fruit Platter (FPML)
• Bland Meal (BLML)
• Jain Meal (VJML)
• Seafood Meal (SFML)
Why are these meals being removed?
The meals are being removed due to low demand as many of our customers are now choosing other options.
None of the other special meals are being removed but will continue to be available.

I have already booked a meal for my flight next year.
We will honour any of the special meals that have already been booked.

What cabins does this apply to?
This will affect all cabins and British Airways services.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Yet another argument against paying the extra for Club Europe. Perhaps time for a rebranding. We could learn from AA and call it Main Cabin Extra or borrow Main Cabin Select from Virgin America. Groucho Marx got it right about Clubs.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I am glad to see Bland Meals being removed. Can't wait to see what they will serve in Band 1 and 2 CE instead!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Seafood meals were the way to get something decent to eat for afternoon tea.

I've seen pictures of the muslim meal on CE and it seems to match the SFML. I might have to order that in the future.

Might look a bit odd if I then request a London Pride to go along with it
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
BA are removing seafood meals because of "low demand as many of our customers are now choosing other options."

If this board is even a tiny sample, then that can't be right.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jordan D
BA are removing seafood meals because of "low demand as many of our customers are now choosing other options."

If this board is even a tiny sample, then that can't be right.
Although we probably represent a higher than average percentage of those that do.

I mean the average person is not going to know that you can select seafood to get a better afternoon tea.

The seafood option is also somewhat hidden. It's not on the main dropdown in MMB you have to select to see additional options. It's almost like they wanted to discourage it.

So, all that's left now in CE is a couple of cans of London Pride and the middle seat block. It'll be nice if they at least bring back the champagne.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The four king prawns on the CE menu was likely the most expensive ingredient used in any CE dish! This is a real pity as the extended breakfast and afternoon tea on 1-3 are pure stodgy tosh.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
In the morning, I prefer breakfast in the Flounge and the Fruit Platter onboard. Later in the day, I take the Seafood Meal. Henceforth, I will choose ET or the competition. Already the legroom has gone. Priority Baggage is generally meaningless. I just don't feel that it is worth paying a premium; simply to ensure some extra elbow room.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might try requesting an extra seat in economy in future particularly during afternoon tea times. The band 3 economy flatbread is nicer and more substantial than the dry nano-sandwiches.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
Good enhancement will speed up the service especially in Y, crew will no longer need to spend so much time faffing around with "special meals " for the DYKWIA types .
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by tooblue
In the morning, I prefer breakfast in the Flounge and the Fruit Platter onboard.
Same here.
The fruit platter was the special meal that I pre-ordered most frequently to/from Kiev. Sad to see it go...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Last week end I booked two RT tickets in WT+. I could not select the seafood meal. Thanks for the heads-up regarding Muslim meals. I will get wine or beer with it

In the Muslim world I currently live in non-Muslims can buy and drink alcohol - but discretely.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lgwfan
Good enhancement will speed up the service especially in Y, crew will no longer need to spend so much time faffing around with "special meals " for the DYKWIA types .
I don't know how they do it in Y but in CE it does not slow down the service.

Perhaps they could have made these more exotic special meals business class only.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Grrrrrrr!
I have been ordering the Seafood meal regularly on the return sector in CE and it has been pretty good, particularly the smoked salmon.
Guess I will have to alternate now between the Kosher and the Muslim offering......
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:28 pm

The HIndu Meal has salmon in it quite often, which incidentally causes lots of issues due to the fact that a lot of Hindus are vegetarian. Might be worth a try for those who like the seafood meal.

Also, I've never even batted an eyelid if someone who has requested a MOML asks for alcohol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.