Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking [while connecting through LHR]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And there is a very discrete spot in CCR were I've spotted the odd illegal smoker of tobacco and other products.
How intriguing....almost worth paying to fly in F for.

The addiction can make even the respectable Japanese flout the rules. I once spotted a small group of JAL passengers at CDG huddled together at the gate having one last fly puff before boarding their flight. In typical Japanese fashion they at least had come prepared as they all shared one pocket ash tray.

There used to be a well known 'secret' area for smokers at no smoking GRU next to the lounge complex. The number of fag ends in the plant display made it easy to spot. However the last time I passed through I saw they had installed CCTV to make even the most hardened smoker feel uncomfortable using it.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jeep1
Was wondering. Flying van lhr on to Copenhagen I know there is no smoking at lhr. Can you go out through customs to have one. Thanks in advance
When you exit the T5 arrivals hall, turn right and there is a nice 'garden' area for smokers.

If other UK airports can find a way around the smoking ban, why can't LHR?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Us smokers are a dying breed......
On several levels I'm afraid.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:23 am

Terminal 4 has an airside smoking area.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Skoodledoo
Terminal 4 has an airside smoking area.
Where is it?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:40 am

Head towards Gate 6, it's just before the WH Smith on the left. You then go down steps / escalator. Surprisingly it's well signposted. It evens appears on the Terminal Maps on the website.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
I still remember the smoking "bus shelter" inside Heathrow - it was next to useless at stopping the fumes escaping to the innocent victims walking past.

Before the ban, I said they should have replaced it with an airlock-access airtight room. Those outside wouldn't have to put up with the stench, and any cheapos could pop in for their fix without needing to light up. Win-Win.

The only flaw would be that the passengers would still smell when they got on the flight; its easy to forget how different things like that are nowadays and I don't think many can argue we're in a better place for it.

I'm all for airines giving people smoking areas outside the terminal, well away from the doors, if only to stop others having to walk through the terminal-lice as they enter the airport.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
At LHR T5 we use the shelters at the extreme ends of the drop-off ramp on Departures level. At least there's some fresh air up there, and you get to say hello to BA staff

There's also a couple of zones in front of Departures, away from the doorways.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:05 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I'm all for airines giving people smoking areas outside the terminal, well away from the doors, if only to stop others having to walk through the terminal-lice as they enter the airport.
I have to say, I am in agreement there. I like to consider myself as a considerate smoker in that, if there is a designated smoking area, as there are plenty of outside T5, then that is where smokers should smoke. After all there is plenty of signage to direct those who are not used to T5.

What gets my goat, is the amount of smokers I have seen standing directly outside the entrance doors in the glass 'wind breaker' area and directly in the way of the entrances (staff included). Come on guys, you are giving us smokers a bad rep......

I also like to douse myself in smelly stuff before boarding so that I don't stink like a pack of 20 and make my next door neighbour suffer .

S
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...at LHR you'll find some areas at each end of the bus station...
It think you can also smoke anywhere inbetween as well, as long as you're not too near any of the entrance points.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:27 am

The smoking area is right outside the terminal doors landslide near checkin. Preferably next to the large 'no smoking' signs, and next to all the other smokers and staff ignoring the no smoking signs - as far as I can tell.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Outside Arrivals at T5, near one of the entrances, there's a sign saying

No smoking here. Children playing nearby.

(or similar)

I think it's because there's a play area inside and the children might look out the window, see the smokers, then take up smoking.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
Outside Arrivals at T5, near one of the entrances, there's a sign saying

No smoking here. Children playing nearby.

(or similar)

I think it's because there's a play area inside and the children might look out the window, see the smokers, then take up smoking.
They're putting up a similar sign in the play area:

No playing here. Smokers nearby.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
DANGER
Grumpy OAP having a last smoke before TATL
Keep Children at least 25 metres away
AT ALL TIMES

Last edited by T8191; Sep 3, 2014 at 5:07 am
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Taylor Street Baristas
Originally Posted by Skoodledoo
Head towards Gate 6, it's just before the WH Smith on the left. You then go down steps / escalator. Surprisingly it's well signposted. It evens appears on the Terminal Maps on the website.
One of the reasons I now fly QR wherever possible - apart from the doubling of tier points vs the BA direct alternative - is because of this. And in fact the smoking area is just below the QR lounge so it's doubly convenient.

It's technically outside; it's a cage, for want of a better word, outside the main building and there are lorries and suchlike whizzing up and down either side. And I don't care a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.