Wiki Posts
Search

Breakfast on long haul flights into London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; HHonors Gold
Breakfast on long haul flights into London

I was travelling CW from SEA to LHR on Saturday on the 1845 ex -SEA. I must say the crew were one of the slowest I have encountered serving the meal on departure and I eventually gave up waiting and went to sleep.

One thing I have noticed however is great variability on when breakfast service starts on long haul flights into London. On this flight 55 mins from landing e CW crew had still not started serving and clearly colleagues in other cabins were surprised telling them to "get a move on" . What then followed was a high speed breakfast and They were still clearing away when we had the 20 minute call to landing from the captain .

Is there any standardisation of when breakfast service commences. Unfortunately this crew in CW were more interested in chatting amongst themselves than serving the passengers, directed by a most ineffective CSD on this flight.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
You won't have missed much as CW breakfasts from the USA are a disgrace, especially on those east coast flights which are timed to arrive after the food service in the Arrivals lounge has finished.

Who would have thought that fruit salad served in a plastic tub is somehow 'premium'

Sounds like you had sub par performance there. A useless CSD (who actually serves in the CW cabin) is usually the cause of a poor showing. Some of them were conducting their own 'dirty protest' at having to move out of their office to actually serving passengers when BA chopped the cabin crew numbers a few years back, but hopefully that's behind us now.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:42 pm

Trip report?. Maybe bring food in case CW service is slow?

Last edited by travellight; Aug 25, 2014 at 8:56 pm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even on the long flights where they serve a decent breakfast it usually ends up being a negative experience because they leave the serving of it far too late for you to enjoy the damn thing.
They might as well not bother and just put a cereal bar in the amenity kit.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
I would rather get the extra sleep and eat in arrivals lounge especially on a shorter east coast run. All I tend to want is a cuppa when I wake. Much better to have Fresh cooked Bacon & Egg and Toast after landing
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
I would rather get the extra sleep and eat in arrivals lounge especially on a shorter east coast run. All I tend to want is a cuppa when I wake. Much better to have Fresh cooked Bacon & Egg and Toast after landing
I agree. Its really is not the great, and served so late prior to arrival, there is such a perceived hurry to get it "served and cleared".

Often its only about 6 hours after the later evening meal (depending of course the flight length and speed at which dinner as served). So who is that hungry anyway?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Doesn't help when the YVR and YYC flights land about 2pm London time and the arrivals lounge is closed.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DavidYYC
I agree. Its really is not the great, and served so late prior to arrival, there is such a perceived hurry to get it "served and cleared".

Often its only about 6 hours after the later evening meal (depending of course the flight length and speed at which dinner as served). So who is that hungry anyway?
People who didn't eat before sleeping and prefer to eat after waking; or people going straight from the flight to work and without time to eat anywhere else ?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DavidYYC

Also, longer flights from the mid west (eg PHX and LAS) land after 2pm and only get the same derisory breakfast on board.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Or if arriving into LGW from one of the tourist destinations. No cooked breakfast offered onboard and no arrivals lounge.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:04 am

When would you like us to serve the breakfast? That's a genuine question. In all my years of flying I've never once heard a customer complain about the second meal being served too late.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; HHonors Gold
Well you have now heard someone complain about the breakfast being too late.

In answer to the question - who wants breakfast

a) people who ate in the lounge and/or skipped the evening meal
b) people with onward domestic connections - that bacon roll could make all the difference ! Otherwise it could be about 3 hours before you have a chance to have something proper to eat if you have an immediate connection. These minature bags of crisps don't keep the hunger pangs at bay very long

Serving 1.5 hours before arrival (for those who want it) would seem perfectly accetable to me.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Breakfast is a simple meal, and certainly on the upper deck of a 744 not too difficult to serve and clean up in a short amount of time. Even an hour out is enough time. I'd like something like the CE English breakfast, that's nicer that what is served from the west coast.

I agree it would be a different situation on an east coast/YYZ/YUL flights where it is a short flight time, and it arrives in plenty of time to use the arrivals lounge if desired. On those flights I have no problem with an abbreviated breakfast service.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
They might as well not bother and just put a cereal bar in the amenity kit.
That is not a bad idea!

Or for passengers wanting to eat immediately, what about a breakfast pack to either take away or eat in the 20 minutes prior to landing? The pack could contain a croissant, some jam, cereal bar, some salami slices and cheese, a yoghurt and a high quality plastic knife and spoon.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My frustration is that it normally starts far too early - crashing and banging around 2 hours before landing is very annoying. It takes 10 mins to eat some fruit and cereal so why 2 hours of disruption?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.