Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Design patent for the Club World seat revealed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by dohadosser
This improvement (and hopefully retrofit of existing fleet) cant come soon enough.

I flew QR business class on a 787 yesterday and it is so far ahead of BA CW its frightening.
My biggest gripe with the QR787 is the video screen, it's in your face and cannot be moved which makes me feel rather claustrophobic. I think I prefer the space in Club World.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Plus the average rail journey in UK is much shorter than the average train journey.
I dont get that ?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I saw this tweet from a CAPA analyst show pics of another patent: https://twitter.com/winglets747/stat...983106/photo/1
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ardboe
I saw this tweet from a CAPA analyst show pics of another patent: https://twitter.com/winglets747/stat...983106/photo/1
Link to the actual application in case anyone can't access twitter links at work (like me!): WO2015/008082
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
My biggest gripe with the QR787 is the video screen, it's in your face and cannot be moved which makes me feel rather claustrophobic. I think I prefer the space in Club World.
If you're used to the CW screen the QR screen can look somewhat massive

I've always found the high surrounds of CW window seats (non-747-UD) vaguely claustrophobic...

...I prefer the more open layout of the (new) CX J or QR J (787) cabin.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA (G), SK (S), KL
Talking

The newest patient actually seems ok to me looking from the pictures. The new interior and more spacious design seems less claustrophobic and more 'classy'-ish. It reminds me a little of something like what JAL has done on its 77Ws (but in Ying-Yang and more clustered).

The 2-4-2 arrangement still makes the cabin rather unattractive to me and it seems that the seat will likely be still kinda short for me (I'm 194cm) like the current one now. This will not be enough to draw me from flying other OW airlines like CX, QR, JL, or even IB and AA. Despite this, the third patient is definitely better than the first two.

Cheers
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
If you're used to the CW screen the QR screen can look somewhat massive

I've always found the high surrounds of CW window seats (non-747-UD) vaguely claustrophobic...

...I prefer the more open layout of the (new) CX J or QR J (787) cabin.
I've not flown CW for well over 3 years but I recall it feeling more spacious than the QR product. The QR J seat on the 380/787 is not open, that video screen is in your face and (to me) caused me to feel rather claustrophobic.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, AAdvantage
I'm clearly being dense, but where do I need to click within the linked site to see the pictures? I can see lots of technical text, but not pictures. Maybe it's becuase I'm looking on my phone?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by BA380
I'm clearly being dense, but where do I need to click within the linked site to see the pictures? I can see lots of technical text, but not pictures. Maybe it's becuase I'm looking on my phone?
Either click on mosaics on the left hand side, or original document and then drawings from the drop down menu at the top.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, AAdvantage
Thanks. It won't work fir me on phone but I'll look on laptop later.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by joey_12
The 2-4-2 arrangement still makes the cabin rather unattractive to me and it seems that the seat will likely be still kinda short for me (I'm 194cm) like the current one now. This will not be enough to draw me from flying other OW airlines like CX, QR, JL, or even IB and AA. Despite this, the third patient is definitely better than the first two.

Cheers
Ditto. Would they really go for something without direct aisle access?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Ditto. Would they really go for something without direct aisle access?
The 2-4-2 designs shown in the application have gaps between rows allowing direct aisle access.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:50 am

All I would say is don't get too excited on this or indeed any other of the patent applications already found. Drafting and filing is not too expensive and so any of them could be the new CW seat for the a350. Also patent applications generally are unpublished for up to 18 months after they are first filed so there could well be other applications which cover the new seat but we are yet to see.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
All I would say is don't get too excited on this or indeed any other of the patent applications already found. Drafting and filing is not too expensive and so any of them could be the new CW seat for the a350. Also patent applications generally are unpublished for up to 18 months after they are first filed so there could well be other applications which cover the new seat but we are yet to see.
This is all very true, but is it safe to assume that the chosen design will be one of the ones that has been patented and shown here?

In that case, I personally like all of them. Maybe the reverse herringbone is my least favourite, and also the least likely to be adopted, but apart from that they all seem rather cool.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Personally I think this is quite an interesting design, but yet again the bed is only 72" (182cm for metric thinkers). I personally find this is just too short, and this new design suggests that unlike the current setup, there will be no extra legroom seats for those of us who are taller to take advantage of. If BA only pushed things to 74", but I know that would be too much to ask, leaving those of us who are taller to the likes of carriers like CX or AA. Even IB has a longer bed on their new product which whilst narrow seems to work for me very well. Figure 19 also suggests you might play footsie, but figure 21 possibly might offer additional legroom for those slightly taller (although admittedly not much).

The WTP seat described in the patent is very interesting and arguably a bigger change than CW. Good seat for single travellers, but could make group sitting difficult, especially for those travelling with elderly or children in the window rather than centre section. I guess you would need to sit diagonally across from your family in order to make this work if sitting near windows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.