Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Russia considers airspace ban against European airlines"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Russia considers airspace ban against European airlines"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
The folks who own the shops in the international terminal here are salivating!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, OZ *S, AS MVP
Asian carriers aren't affected?

Does anything state that Asian carriers would be affected?

From the EU to NE Asia - OW flyers can use JL, *A has NH/OZ and ST has KE/Chinese airlines

From the EU to SE Asia - OW flyers can use CX/MH, *A can use TG/SQ/BR, and ST has GA/CI/Chinese airlines

Yes, it would be an inconvenience and would cost more due to tighter supplies, but is there a reason any of you wouldn't fly Asian carriers (except I understand if people are apprehensive about MH)? Not criticizing, just curious.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
This would affect HKG, PVG, PEK, NRT, BKK and SIN.
They would all need to re-route which would add time.
Since the 747-400 is not used and we are talking 777-300's and A380's for some of these routes they can indeed fly much further but there will be a huge increase in fuel to pay.......
FD.
FD, for BKK and SIN, it is the return flights BA10, BA12 and BA16 that would be impacted. For the outbound BA9, BA11 and BA15, they invariably take the southern route (BA9 rarely, BA11and BA15 occasionally).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by pcfdt
Does anything state that Asian carriers would be affected?

From the EU to NE Asia - OW flyers can use JL, *A has NH/OZ and ST has KE/Chinese airlines

From the EU to SE Asia - OW flyers can use CX/MH, *A can use TG/SQ/BR, and ST has GA/CI/Chinese airlines
I think that's part of the idea - penalise the EU carriers, but not their competitors. That's when any kind of fuel/duration penalty bites.

If Russia did this it would go against the ICAO obligations they signed up to. Not sure they'd really want to go down that route.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by jbfield
I think that's part of the idea - penalise the EU carriers, but not their competitors. That's when any kind of fuel/duration penalty bites.

If Russia did this it would go against the ICAO obligations they signed up to. Not sure they'd really want to go down that route.
They didn't sign those obligations. Thus, they make hundreds of millions on overflight fees....this would be a case of cutting of their nose to spite their face.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: FB Silver, EK Gold, *A Gold, BAEC,KM
Sanctions are not only one way traffic from the West, the fees lost would be a lot but not in the 00's of millions. Non-EU carriers would not be affected.

Russia is only playing the "politics" game. plus ca change
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by RigpigMalta
Sanctions are not only one way traffic from the West, the fees lost would be a lot but not in the 00's of millions. Non-EU carriers would not be affected.

Russia is only playing the "politics" game. plus ca change
Article I read stated 300million.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Worth remembering that Aeroflot uses Sabre. If they were to go ahead with such a crazy plan, I'm sure the US government would intervene and ensure that Sabre and Travelport do not cooperate with Russian airlines. Spain would make sure Amadeus would be out as well.

That would mean extremely limited options for managing reservations and having all current revs blown up. Also I'm sure we all know how well implementing massive IT solutions instantly works. Imagine all that without any US or EU companies to help.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:54 am

Why does anyone pay attention to anything Russian officials say when you know without any doubt that they are incapable of telling the truth?

Even if they were stupid enough to go through with this, the US/EU retaliation and economic impact on them would be disastrous so I hope they do it!

But seriously why would anyone listen to sociopathic fascist liars like Putin and the rest? FREE CRIMEA...FREE UKRAINE!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Sounds a load of hot air and Soviet Rhetoric to me. It will only result in retaliatory action and no-one wins least of all Russia.

Cutting off gas and oil however...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Looks like Swiss, Norwegian and Turkish airlines stand to benefit from this
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by milehound
The same Swiss that is owned by LH?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by largeeyes
They didn't sign those obligations. Thus, they make hundreds of millions on overflight fees....this would be a case of cutting of their nose to spite their face.
Not sure what you mean - Russia signed the Chicago Convention on the 15th October 1970.

The convention doesn't prohibit ATC fees, just as, I would assume, all states levy.

http://www.icao.int/secretariat/lega...Chicago_EN.pdf
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:56 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Would this ban affect EU carrier flights to / from Russian airports? I have a flight from Fra to Led on LH in 4 weeks! ...just getting a little nervous (outbound I'm on TG ex Dme so that shouldn't be a problem)
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by milehound
As moondog said, Swiss is an EU airline. Norwegian will presumably be banned as well should this ever happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.