Wiki Posts
Search

BA to Launch Pre-Ordering of Meal Options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
BA to Launch Pre-Ordering of Meal Options

A BA crew member has announced the following info earlier today on the forum at Business Traveller:

A senior manager has released details that BA are planning to introduce pre order catering on longhaul flights. "Customers will be able to pre order their meal up to 48 hours before their flight. The service will be provided free of charge in Premium cabins and chargeable in WT and WTP. ( there will still be a limited number of special meal options that will be provided free of charge)".

Will be interesting to see what course this will take - whether it will be a charge simply to 'reserve' your choice from the onboard menu, whether there will be an extended online menu or whether BA will follow KLM's initiative and offer 'upgraded' Y meals for sale. One thing that is for sure is it seems BA's long list of 'special' meals available will reduce significantly - I guess the only freebies accommodated will be a vegetarian option, and of course medical/religious options. I think it will be bye bye to the Seafood Meal and the like (for free anyway).

I personally would welcome the option to do so, and when flying WT, I would happily pay extra for a better meal as offered by KLM, Air Berlin etc. I probably would pay extra for a better meal in Club World too
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
I hope we can tell them how overcooked we want the beef.

Unfortunately, I suspect this will be an opportunity to enhance the existing options.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:13 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
The devil will, I'm sure, be in the detail.

Hopefully some more meat (probably chicken) can be put onto the bones shortly.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Given that I got double disappointment on my last F flight, in the sense that both my first choice of starter, plus first and second choice of main course had become unavailable - after all, I'm only some bottom-feeding Silver on a UuA - I welcome this, as it takes away some of the guesswork for BA when load planning catering for lightly loaded premium cabins.

As long as this doesn't equate to total "enhancement" of having a "little extra" onboard as they do for F at the moment, it seems like a good thing.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
In theory, a great idea. I would like to see the implementation...

I think there is probably a growing trend (and cost to BA) where people order special meals in order to "avoid" a salad when the crew runs out of a certain option. It seems slightly perverse when a middle-of the road silver like me on an I-class fare, booked 3 months out in row 2 always gets his first choice. Yet someone who's paid twice the price, last minute, in row 7 sometimes misses out.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I really enjoy this feature when I fly on AA and I'd see it as a good enhancement to BA, particularly in the premium cabin where it's disappointing not to have your first choice of meal.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:21 am

This would be great. Good for me and presumably good for BA in that they can cater more effectively.

Wonder what the implications for opups would be?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:24 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by paul4040
In theory, a great idea. I would like to see the implementation...

I think there is probably a growing trend (and cost to BA) where people order special meals in order to "avoid" a salad when the crew runs out of a certain option. It seems slightly perverse when a middle-of the road silver like me on an I-class fare, booked 3 months out in row 2 always gets his first choice. Yet someone who's paid twice the price, last minute, in row 7 sometimes misses out.
If you're feeling that guilty about it, you could always select the last row at time of booking? Or volunteer to be served after everyone else?

Making use of published benefits afforded to you to get a row 2 seat on an attractive fare isn't perverse.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
This is a good idea as long as it doesn't lead to rationing in F. I often have a main as a starter due to the portion sizes of the starters, or another main later during the flight on longer routes, and I expect that flexibility in F. If it becomes starter/main/cheese or dessert and now you're cut off, it would be shameful. The bistro menus have been enhanced to the point of nothingness on most flights now.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Didn't they announce a trial for this on the JFK route some time last year? Did that ever happen?

Programs: DL DM
Will be very glad to see this coming in. I really enjoyed it on AA and it works very well.

Originally Posted by V10
If you're feeling that guilty about it, you could always select the last row at time of booking? Or volunteer to be served after everyone else?

Making use of published benefits afforded to you to get a row 2 seat on an attractive fare isn't perverse.
They didn't say they felt guilty about it, or that the passengers themselves are perverse...

They said that the situation, i.e. BA treating "low value" customers better than the "high value" passengers, is perverse. Which it is.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I still find the use of "pre" with so many things annoying.

Is pre-ordering a meal actually different to ordering a meal or , since it is a pre-orcder, an order will still be required

If it is an ordering service such as airlines such as TG offer where there is a wide range od choices , hopefully it will be good

If it is just like the AA meal ordering service, where it just allows selection from the standard inflight menu, then rather uninteresting
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I really enjoy this feature when I fly on AA and I'd see it as a good enhancement to BA, particularly in the premium cabin where it's disappointing not to have your first choice of meal.
If only BA meals were the same quality as AA.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Quote:

Originally Posted by themapelligroup

If only BA meals were the same quality as AA.
Double +1

Also hope onboard changes will be possible if I fancy something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.