Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to Launch Pre-Ordering of Meal Options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingbee
It could be a more premium style meal than the standard WT meal rather than simply guaranteeing a choice. I think that's how klm market it.
That's what US do: DineFresh menu, $21.99 for the premium meal option (also includes a 187ml bottle of wine).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:22 am

But it seems like BA is only trying to guarantee that all pax will get the choice they want, not like SQ or other airlines where the pax can pre-order something special that may not be on the inflight menu
And it would a shame if they do reduce the number of meals (or choices) onboard just because some pax choose to pre order
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I am a fan of the AA system and I think it would add some value to F and CW for BA.

Charging for WTP is a little tacky. Passengers have already paid a small premium for the cabin. If it is a charge for a better meal than what is currently offered then it could be OK. Since WTP already receives an option of limited CW meals, it would be silly to charge to reserve one of the two options. Maybe they'll open it up to the entire (3-4) CW choices.

Charging for WT could be a good step, if the meal is improved. If it is simply "reserving" chicken or beef, it's a money grab. I guess the back of the plane can run out of economy meal selection but I've never experienced it on any airline yet. Offering more options for WT fares isn't bad, but it should be a free service for WTP, CW, and F IMO.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by OldHigsonian
I think the point is that if you pre order a meal you might not get op up'd as they would have an unused meal. Same way as special meals limit your op up chances.
OpUp from First to where ?

And in my experience the chances of an OpUp from CW to F are negligible. And, if you got to F, surely you'd be happy with anything on the menu ?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by bafan
OpUp from First to where ?

And in my experience the chances of an OpUp from CW to F are negligible. And, if you got to F, surely you'd be happy with anything on the menu ?
Yes but it's also being suggested for WTP. And CW to F does happen - trust me!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:36 am

As a not too frequent traveler who books WTP and gets upgraded to CW some of the time, what is says to me is 'continue to bring sandwiches'.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OldHigsonian

I couldn't be bothered with this. Even on the longest long haul flight you are not there that long and you usually get something edible.

In the end it is still airline food served in a plane at 30000 ft.
I feel the same way, if I'm hungry enough I'll eat almost anything.

However the wife is extremely fussy when it comes to food. No fish, mushrooms,spices or sauces shall pass her lips which makes her a ruddy nightmare to travel with.
At least she'll know what she'll get when pre-ordering although there's no guarantee she'll like it.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by LondonCapeTownAnyday
I personally would welcome the option to do so, and when flying WT, I would happily pay extra for a better meal as offered by KLM, Air Berlin etc. I probably would pay extra for a better meal in Club World too
I would not pay extra for the "gourmet meals" that Air Berlin offer for pre order. It would have to be conciderably better than that for me to pay extra.
In CW, I would never pay extra for food, drink or entertainment. If I pay 3000 or more for a ticket, I expect those things to be included, and of good quality too.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I wonder if it will mean I can take off my special meal requirement in my preferences, then I might, for one, be eligible for an OP upgrade
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I wonder if it will mean I can take off my special meal requirement in my preferences, then I might, for one, be eligible for an OP upgrade
Exactly what I was thinking too!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
BA, once again, playing catch up
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JimEddie
I wonder how many people actually use the pre-booking options on AA. If you're on business and your PA or corporate travel booker has made the booking will you remember (or even think) to pre book a meal?

Also, I can understand the revenue generation aspect, but why charge for pre-booking a meal in WT/WTP? What's the incentive?
I had like 7 flights on AA (domestic) where I had the option of pre-ordering. Every flight was I asked what I would like to eat, in a couple instances the choices didn't even match the pre-ordering offer.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Gold.
Article on Business Traveller about this today: http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...ection-service

A BA spokesman told Business Traveller: "We are always looking at ways to enhance our catering and give our customers more choice. We plan to run a trial on a small number of routes, to offer customers travelling in First and Club World the opportunity to pre-select their menu choices in advance of their flight."

They state: "It is thought the trial will take place later this year although no firm dates have been set."

So confirmation that it is happening, but little extra detail!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Greenshadow
Article on Business Traveller about this today: http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...ection-service

A BA spokesman told Business Traveller: "We are always looking at ways to enhance our catering and give our customers more choice. We plan to run a trial on a small number of routes, to offer customers travelling in First and Club World the opportunity to pre-select their menu choices in advance of their flight."

They state: "It is thought the trial will take place later this year although no firm dates have been set."

So confirmation that it is happening, but little extra detail!
Oh dear, the 'e' word has been used by a BA spokesperson - you know what that means
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Originally Posted by godfreyb
As a not too frequent traveler who books WTP and gets upgraded to CW some of the time, what is says to me is 'continue to bring sandwiches'.
^+1 - haven't eaten at WTP meal for ages although kind of irksome when you get upgraded at the gate and what to do with your Pret Bag of goodies. A Daily Mail reader would of course be demanding a credit back for the distress of having purchased sarnies and then be unable to consume them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.