Wiki Posts
Search

Odd little UUA quirk...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Odd little UUA quirk...

I booked the mrs a wt+ ticket and uua'd the outbound.

Seeing upgrade space on the return, she logged into HER exec club account and upgraded with avios, paying the cash component on her Amex.

Avios were deducted.

Logging into my account there's weird activity, 25k avios deducted, with an immediate 12.5k redeposit.

I call in, and am told, that because I UUA'd her outbound, all further UUA activity will automatically be taken from my account, regardless of her being logged in and trying to use her avios.

Very odd, and potentially a nuisance if you upgrade family and friends, since they could quite innocently plunder your avios while attempting to upgrade themselves later on.

Strangely, exec club could see no deduction of avios in her account, and on refresh she was back up to her pre-deduction level.

I didn't ask if they could have used her avios if she'd called in, and would be interested to know!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I think one of the features of the Household Account is that your avios become hers and vice versa.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
From my reading, this is two separate accounts?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think if you pay for the ticket the avios are taken from the payer's account when doing a UuA. I have paid for someone elses WT+ ticket in the past and when subsequently processing the UuA on the phone the avios came from my account.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by A P Yu
I think one of the features of the Household Account is that your avios become hers and vice versa.
This isn't correct. Even when accounts are linked in a HHA, they remain individual accounts which will earn Avios and have Avios deducted from them. When a redemption is made, Avios are deducted pro-rata from all of the accounts in the HHA. But that is not the same as "your avios become hers and vice versa".
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think if you pay for the ticket the avios are taken from the payer's account when doing a UuA.
This isn't necessarily the case. The person paying for the underlying ticket may not even be a BAEC member, but it would be odd if that meant that the passenger (who might be a Gold) was completely unable to UUA.

In fact, the last UUA I did was for someone else who's a Gold and whose ticket I paid for. When subsequently doing a UUA online, I logged into the passenger's account and the Avios have come from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.