Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Tier point year changed! Why is that??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:01 am
Original Poster

My Tier point year changed! Why is that??

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I have a quick question regarding Executive Club.

When I joined in February my status showed that my Tier Points collection year ends 8th March 2015 and my card expires 31st April 2016.

I have booked a lot of flights since february but my account remained inactive, apart from a few hotel avios points, until last week when I travelled Club Europe to Jersey.

I noticed that my Tier Points collection year changed to 8th July 2015 and my card expiry date to 31st August 2016. Why is this? Does the new member's collection year start from when they travel their first flight?

I am really surprised that this date changed because with the flights that I've already booked I will reach silver membership on 11th August this year, which means I should have silver membership for 2 whole years.....not bad for 2,500 euros worth of flights!

ALSO; I passed the threshold for bronze status with a flight on Friday 4th July, and then had another flight in the morning on Saturday 5th July. However I haven't received a tier points bonus for bronze status (25%) on the second flight. Won't I get the tier point bonus for this flight? I noticed that 'Order Executive Club Items' shows that my status was officially upgraded on the 7th July, even though the actual flight that crossed the 300 points threshold was on 4th July. Do I have to kiss goodbye to these 317 avios!?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
It shouldn't happen, but it seems like it's in your favour so best be quiet about it

Welcome to FlyerTalk. It'll be nice if you stick around and share your experiences and any tips you gain during your travels. Plenty of good stuff on here too and we're friendly most of the time!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SlovakianBRIT
I have booked a lot of flights since february but my account remained inactive, apart from a few hotel avios points, until last week when I travelled Club Europe to Jersey.
Do you, perhaps, mistakenly have two BAEC accounts?

Did you recently transfer points from an American Express Mileage Rewards account to a BAEC account, perhaps?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply Layz. Well, I'm going to keep quiet about it then!

You're right about flyertalk....I think that it's much more informative than most of the airline websites. Also, British Airways customer services are pretty poor as far as I can tell. I usually have to wait at least a week for replies to messages via ba.com.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
I seem to remember when I first joined around the October/November in whatever year it was, my first 'year' didn't end until January (14/15 months later). Since then my new membership year has always been in January.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Do you, perhaps, mistakenly have two BAEC accounts?

Did you recently transfer points from an American Express Mileage Rewards account to a BAEC account, perhaps?
The answer to both of these questions is nope.

I did however have a bit of an argument with BA over some incorrect information on their Avios Flight Calculator. They were showing incorrect Tier points for economy Iberia flights. I booked flights thinking that they would accrue more Tier points then BA's. In the end customer services agreed that they had made an error and gave me the points that showed on the calculator. Maybe they changed my card expiration date as a goodwill gesture...who knows!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by SlovakianBRIT
Thanks for the quick reply Layz. Well, I'm going to keep quiet about it then!

You're right about flyertalk....I think that it's much more informative than most of the airline websites. Also, British Airways customer services are pretty poor as far as I can tell. I usually have to wait at least a week for replies to messages via ba.com.
I'd definitely say as there's so many here with regular experience of BA they can generally answer questions much more accurately than customer relations. Things such as lounge access entitlement when arriving in first and connecting to a domestic is an example of something customer relations often gets wrong and FlyerTalk gets right!

We also have such a diverse range of travellers on here so whatever you need advice on there's likely to have been someone on here that's been there and done that. Some people (like corporate-wage-slave) fly more than I thought was humanly possible, then you have those that are mostly leisure flyers, those that are only corporate flyers, those that only travel first, only travel economy, etc. Not forgetting the Tesco tourists

I'm a bit of a mix. I collect more Avios than I can spend on my credit cards but also do enough travel to maintain gold. I've never done a tier point run, although I have been known to break up a transatlantic flight by stopping on the east coast before flying AA to my final destination.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by layz
I've never done a tier point run, although I have been known to break up a transatlantic flight by stopping on the east coast before flying AA to my final destination.
I've never done a TP run either but do follow tier point maximization strategies. I can't believe I flew to Hawaii in 2010 direct from London to LAX and onward to HNL. Such as schoolboy error.

Back on topic again, here's a thread I started a few months ago on the issue of my tier point collection year date change. I found some of the replies quite useful.

Of the 24 sectors I have booked at present I could probably have done it in 15 if I wasn't trying to maximize TPs and stick - on the whole - to oneworld partners. The main exception to this is a return on Spirit Airlines (god help me) direct from Tampa to Atlantic City in a couple of weeks.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Back on topic again, here's a thread I started a few months ago on the issue of my tier point collection year date change. I found some of the replies quite useful.
Did you take up Nicci's offer to look into what happened, and if so, did you ever find out?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Did you take up Nicci's offer to look into what happened, and if so, did you ever find out?
No. This was my final thought on the subject which probably explains what happened and why I was content to leave it without further investigation.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Same thing happened to me a few years ago, my year ended 8th March, and was doing a return trip 1 week after expiry date, which would keep my silver status, telephoned BAEC to ask if they could extend the expiry date by 10 days, they agreed, and by the time my new card arrived, my expiry year had become 8th June which in fact pleased me even better and has remained June every since .^
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:08 am
Original Poster

That's what you call a result ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.