Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
New security regulations for customers on flights to potentially all destinations
Primarily affecting electronic or battery powered devices such as telephones, tablets, e-books and laptops when initially carried in hand luggage. Checked / hold luggage is thus far unaffected.

Statement from British Airways, revision of 11/Jul/14 08:07 BST:
British Airways is complying with new security requirements from the UK and US Governments.

All British Airways flights continue to operate as normal and we would advise customers to arrive in good time for the various stages of their journey including check-in, main security search areas and at the boarding gate. Customers may be subject to additional searches and questions.

Customers may be asked to turn on any electrical or battery powered devices such as telephones, tablets, e-books and laptops in front of security teams and/or demonstrate the item's functionality. More details:

British Airways News. See FAQ in this link for specific advice, also BA have produced this letter to passengers.

Heathrow Airport website. Limited information.

GOV.UK information. Limited information.

BBC News - also information on Manchester Airport.

According to BA notices at LHR today (altered several times since issue): "If you are unable to power up your electronic device, then it cannot be placed in your hand or hold luggage and will not travel on the flight". See FAQ for more details.
Print Wikipost

Enhanced security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Originally Posted by V10
It looks horrific enough to be Terminal 1.
It is T1 from quite a few years ago too by the looks of it
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:44 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Wow the picture. That was from 2006 with the liquids scare right?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by layz
You're using a definition of enhanced that's not compatible with this forum. I thought by enhanced you meant security was going to be removed
^

The American lawmakers are freaked out over this new Sunni group in Syria/Iraq having disaffected European (and American) volunteers. Since they'd have EU passports they would not have to apply for US visas and could "sneak" into the country and blow things up (or if Americans, just shave off their beards and head home). It's more Republican clap trap to try to get Obama to go back into Iraq with troops and aircraft. But surely with what the NSA is doing, and the hundreds of billions being spent on "intelligence" gathering each year, and the photo/finger print routine at US ports of entry, the Americans can create a database of photos of suspects who fit this profile with the assistance of European intelligence agencies who themselves would want to start keeping tabs on these fellows should they return home.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
There is nothing we can do about the security being strengthened whether we like it or not (I don't like it if it delays me - I hate security experience as it is!).

It's just better to become sheep and follow it rather than wasting my energy getting worked up about it, I suppose, and if there is something I can do to speed up the process (much like having liquids organised under the existing system) then to do it to make my life easier.

It still doesn't mean I like it in the slightest though. I don't really feel that I should be inconvenienced by those violent people since I have no violent tendencies, but that's life...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I wonder if t3 style AA gate bag checks will come in. While t5 doesn't have the holding pens, there is certainly enough space for some tables behind the boarding pass check stands at t5, like (SJD) los cabos' and a few other airports. I suppose we will all see in the next couple of days and it will be what it will be.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by sajgidda
The most comfortable shoes I own, they're my travel footwear of choice. They usually cause a few giggles at security, a few times at Dallas I've had a couple of TSA guys come check them out in appreciation. They're pretty different, the kind of cowboy boots I'd expect to find in Elton John's closet
We need a picture...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jcm9000
I wonder if t3 style AA gate bag checks will come in. While t5 doesn't have the holding pens, there is certainly enough space for some tables behind the boarding pass check stands at t5, like (SJD) los cabos' and a few other airports. I suppose we will all see in the next couple of days and it will be what it will be.
This style of checking was in place in T5 in the past. There are tables for this at the foot of the stairs from the departure gates. Occasionally on recent US flights I have seen people selected for a search there.

What I find remarkable is the resistance by the "human rights" lobby to any sort of targeted security checks. Surely if you are known to have been an associate of a person from Cardiff who is now Tweeting about his military-style activities in the Middle East, you should expect closer scrutiny? Being Cardiff born and Cardiff bred (quote) I expect more of the Marigold routine in the upcoming months.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Yes it's for all our benefit really.
Cue: "Oh no it isn't" // "Oh yes it is" // "Oh no it isn't"

Is it panto season already?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The most comfortable shoes I own, they're my travel footwear of choice. They usually cause a few giggles at security, a few times at Dallas I've had a couple of TSA guys come check them out in appreciation. They're pretty different, the kind of cowboy boots I'd expect to find in Elton John's closet
I have a picture in my mind, and a smile on my face, as I read it

.... oh and just in case you don't know the picture, Elton (and presumably his footwear) has been well out of the closet for years!!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Has anyone who has boarded an ex-UK flight to the US this morning observed any differences in procedure?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by antichef
.... oh and just in case you don't know the picture, Elton (and presumably his footwear) has been well out of the closet for years!!
Come on, don't make me feel old - I'm only reaching 30 and I've just been at the Elton John Konzert in St. Gallen (Switzerland) last week...
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Just ban all hand luggage from direct flight to the US.

I remember flying soon after 7/7. Security was a breeze but female passengers will be crying over their lipstick. Both boarding and de-planing were never so fast as during that period.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
I also have a pair of genuine Texan cowboy boots, they are the most comfortable shoes I own, I've probably spent more money having them resoled and maintained than they cost me originally. The last time I took them to get resoled was to a lovely man in Kissimmee Florida, he loved my boots so much he actually did the job for half of the advertised cost. He was so awesome that when I more the Tampa in a couple of weeks, I'll be making the 90 minute drive to his shop whenever I need them looked after again. But I digress.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
Originally Posted by jcm9000
I was randomly selected at the gate on a T5 departure to DFW a couple of years ago for additional screening which involved some G4S employee having a rummage through my carry on just before boarding.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by pipsi
I was randomly selected at the gate on a T5 departure to DFW a couple of years ago for additional screening which involved some G4S employee having a rummage through my carry on just before boarding.
Just out of interest, did they search/x-ray you again, or just rummage in your bag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.