Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
New security regulations for customers on flights to potentially all destinations
Primarily affecting electronic or battery powered devices such as telephones, tablets, e-books and laptops when initially carried in hand luggage. Checked / hold luggage is thus far unaffected.

Statement from British Airways, revision of 11/Jul/14 08:07 BST:
British Airways is complying with new security requirements from the UK and US Governments.

All British Airways flights continue to operate as normal and we would advise customers to arrive in good time for the various stages of their journey including check-in, main security search areas and at the boarding gate. Customers may be subject to additional searches and questions.

Customers may be asked to turn on any electrical or battery powered devices such as telephones, tablets, e-books and laptops in front of security teams and/or demonstrate the item's functionality. More details:

British Airways News. See FAQ in this link for specific advice, also BA have produced this letter to passengers.

Heathrow Airport website. Limited information.

GOV.UK information. Limited information.

BBC News - also information on Manchester Airport.

According to BA notices at LHR today (altered several times since issue): "If you are unable to power up your electronic device, then it cannot be placed in your hand or hold luggage and will not travel on the flight". See FAQ for more details.
Print Wikipost

Enhanced security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC silver
Enhanced security

More summer fun........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28138526
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
You're using a definition of enhanced that's not compatible with this forum. I thought by enhanced you meant security was going to be removed
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I've been asked to turn my laptop on a few times, to demonstrate that it is in fact, a laptop. I expect more of that and a more thorough examination of my cowboy boots
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
The picture in the BBC report shows a crowded BA check-in area. A sign is visible saying: International Departures - Gates 14-56

Where is this?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:15 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
The picture in the BBC report shows a crowded BA check-in area. A sign is visible saying: International Departures - Gates 14-56

Where is this?
It looks horrific enough to be Terminal 1.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

Where is this?
It's T1 before BA moved out (not the remains of ex-bmi) and international and domestic departures were totally separate.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Thank you. I thought that it was but not seeing any of the green of Aer Lingus made me think it might be elsewhere.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by sajgidda
I've been asked to turn my laptop on a few times, to demonstrate that it is in fact, a laptop. I expect more of that and a more thorough examination of my cowboy boots
To demonstrate that you are also a cowboy?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
The most comfortable shoes I own, they're my travel footwear of choice. They usually cause a few giggles at security, a few times at Dallas I've had a couple of TSA guys come check them out in appreciation. They're pretty different, the kind of cowboy boots I'd expect to find in Elton John's closet
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

Where is this?
That is the old Terminal 1 before BA vacated this.

Just in time for the start of the school holidays.. wonder what extra requirements there will be.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:49 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Here we go again...

The article mentions that enhanced security will be at "airports with direct flights to the US". I wonder if this will mean enhanced security for all flights at that airport, or only for the US flights themselves (if these can be segregated at some point).

There are various references to "most passengers" not experiencing "significant delays". Could it be as simple as increasing the number of random searches at central security? If so, I'm avoiding T5 for a while...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
with certain things happening in the world it is natural the airport security will be stepped up
this will affect all uk airports just a fact of life of the world we now live in
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
with certain things happening in the world it is natural the airport security will be stepped up
this will affect all uk airports just a fact of life of the world we now live in
Very true and they don't step up security for no reason or just for the sake of it. Just go with the flow I'd say.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by PETER01
Very true and they don't step up security for no reason or just for the sake of it. Just go with the flow I'd say.
that's all one can do its there for our safety after all

I don't want to get too much into the politics but one of the main reasons is because of the certain people who have left their own country to fight elsewhere
its time a stance was taken and to ensure they are not permitted back into their supposed country

sorry but I had to get that off my chest
I hope it was diplomatic enough for FT
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
that's all one can do its there for our safety after all

I don't want to get too much into the politics but one of the main reasons is because of the certain people who have left their own country to fight elsewhere
its time a stance was taken and to ensure they are not permitted back into their supposed country

sorry but I had to get that off my chest
I hope it was diplomatic enough for FT
Yes it's for all our benefit really.

The rest of your post would fit in somewhere on the OMNI forums. Some crackers over there but I don't participate, just have the odd look in now and then.

Lots of heated debates on there and some genuinely angry posters!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.