Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F - Very Mediocre * LH Much Better

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ukgooner
There is a dedicated air bridge to the F cabin - F only.
Yes but have you ever tried to use it when they're filling an A380 at T5C? Completely useless as the scrum at the gate means you can't get near it until you're almost onboard.

Car service would be a good addition for the supposedly flagship A380 F service since they all leave from T5C. Perhaps not feasible for every aircraft though.

Last edited by 1010101; Jun 29, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Traveled through FRA last week on intra-European business class. Never again. Had to take a bus on both the inbound and outbound. Signage in the FRA terminal 1 is awful. All we wanted was a sit down restaurant - no one in the business class lounge seemed to know where one was.No signs directing us. Food offerings in that lounge was minimal. Food in business class on both flights was inedible for most American tastes (but I will admit they are a German airline so probably cater what I consider "unusual" foods. I don't think any of it would appeal to an international audience). It just seemed to be a chaotic terminal.

But then the next week transited Terminal 5 at LHR. Simple as could be. Well marked, our TLS-LHR flight parked at an actual jetbridge. Just a world of difference.

An additional comment- the business class seats on LH intra-European were just awful. They have installed slim line seats, but in the back of them is a tray table that must stick out about 2-3 inches from the seat in front of you. I felt extremely confined. The seat pitch may be the same as on BA, but the distance between the chest level between you and the seat in front of you in considerably less.

Transatlantic on LH may be very good. I have no comparison with LH. But I was happy with the food and service on BA First. Filet Mignon was finally done just medium and not dried out like they served a a year or so ago. Appetizers were wonderful and probably appealed to all tastes. We were very happy with BA transatlantic F class.

Interested to know- Does LH offer that car service for connecting passengers who are flying on awards?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Very few airlines offer a car service which seems to indicate it isn't a top requirement for those who regularly pay for first class.
Good perk for those who love to blow one's own trumpet though.

Don't think BA is ready to do what appeals to F CUSTOMERS or to differentiate itself from competitors . As to car service is " Not the top requirement......" argument , was a lounge a top requirement before it was introduced ? Is it required by F CUSTOMERS that they be seated and fed separately from J ?

Come to think of it, look around, all the innovations you /we use ....we're they a top requirement before they were introduced and we were able to afford them ?Point is because I cannot reach the grapes therefore they must be sour syndrome is ever present no matter how one explains it away.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Top quality sturgeon caviar (farmed or otherwise) is a "perfect food." Low-quality caviar, is like anything else, low quality.

Many food types require some food interest or acquired taste. I'd put most tartares, ceviches, raw shellfish, sea urchin, and herrings into a similar category. Or at least, the category in which people either love or hate them.

Comments like "nasty, yuk," tend to be volleyed around by those who have rather myopic food interests.
I agree with you too: raw animals/animal products be they live (oysters) or prepared (tartares, caviar, other fish roe, snail roe, urchins, etc) offer unusual flavours that many people hate but can also offer the most exciting food sensations to many of us, hence the love/hate or the fact that many people love them who might have hated them when they first tried.

That said, to answer some specific other comments (such as "too salty") explicitly suggest that the person has tried some low quality caviar (or alternatively some other fish roe, such as salmon roe which some people call "red caviar") because quality caviar is not actually a very salty product (nor "strong" or "fishy" in taste), much less so than pickles or ketchup among other things.

And yes, I too love caviar and think it is an absolutley unique pleasure.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I'll take MUC over LHR, ZRH, FRA or CDG any day. Too much walking at those four, surly security at LHR, no lounges in the international pier of ZRH and the ones in the main terminal are the pits...not to mention accessing wifi. FRA's too sprawling and CDG...well, it's CDG!
But that's precisely the thing, with your main flight in F, assuming both your arrival and departure flights are on AF (regardless of class of travel on your connecting flight) for instance, you will typically not have any walk at all at CDG. You are just picked up at your arrival flight, taken to the lounge where any formality is being taken care of, and then driven again to your next flight.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by nologic
Also, LX...and many Asian airlines...and probably some Middle Eastern ones.
In my (one) experience of the LX 'car' service it was a completely pointless and in face quite inconvenient service

On arrival on a remote, non-schengen stand, we were bussed, on mass, to an arrivals point where we made are way as per normal connectors to the lounge which was a fair old way.

The 'car' turned out to be an MPV that took myself and friend, plus one other, across to the international sattelite. Having an MPV and non private transfer was not an issue, what was was having to leave for it on a set schedule, go through security before we could go down to the car, then having been dropped off at the sattelite terminal being thrust back into the masses where we had to go through another full security check, an immigration check and where then left to wait in a pen with everyone else for 10 minutes before boarding

If I ever did it again I would not bother with the 'private car' and instead just head on over on the mass transit on my own avoiding the additional security.

Once on board the overall LX experience was probably a tad better than BA, as a whole though you certainly would not have me connecting to avoid BA and as a ground service, if (admittedly a big if) fast track security at LHR is working well, then I'd say BA's is in reality no worse
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Traveled through FRA last week on intra-European business class. Never again. Had to take a bus on both the inbound and outbound. Signage in the FRA terminal 1 is awful. All we wanted was a sit down restaurant - no one in the business class lounge seemed to know where one was.No signs directing us. Food offerings in that lounge was minimal. Food in business class on both flights was inedible for most American tastes (but I will admit they are a German airline so probably cater what I consider "unusual" foods. I don't think any of it would appeal to an international audience). It just seemed to be a chaotic terminal.

But then the next week transited Terminal 5 at LHR. Simple as could be. Well marked, our TLS-LHR flight parked at an actual jetbridge. Just a world of difference.

An additional comment- the business class seats on LH intra-European were just awful. They have installed slim line seats, but in the back of them is a tray table that must stick out about 2-3 inches from the seat in front of you. I felt extremely confined. The seat pitch may be the same as on BA, but the distance between the chest level between you and the seat in front of you in considerably less.

Transatlantic on LH may be very good. I have no comparison with LH. But I was happy with the food and service on BA First. Filet Mignon was finally done just medium and not dried out like they served a a year or so ago. Appetizers were wonderful and probably appealed to all tastes. We were very happy with BA transatlantic F class.

Interested to know- Does LH offer that car service for connecting passengers who are flying on awards?
Yes. Award or revenue are not deciding factors.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Goldlust
They did not speak acceptable English, they were rude, they opened my bag and searched it without my consent and with me watching, they wanted to confiscate my bottle and when I told them I would exit security and check-in my bag with the bottle they became angry, even more rude and engaged in further handling including a swipe for something. They failed to tell me what. I appealed to two uniformed teenagers of the German federal police who failed miserably in supervising those low lives (i.e. the security personnel).
They didn't speak acceptable English? You could have always used your impeccable German.

And even worse, they searched your bag whilst you watched ... at airport security ... well, fancy that.

(I think that's the right icon).
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
On CPH-FRA this included a young guy on an ID ticket and a woman of the night (or at least a woman with no intelligence or manners at all) with her daughter. The woman started bothering me in my seat because she lacked the skills needed to allocate her own seat.
On the FRA-CPH segment, they had upgraded a Swedish couple with their 2 terribly noisy and badly behaved young sons (around 5 years of age). Upon entry into the cockpit I was asked by the purser in front of everybody whether I would vacate my chosen seat because one of the children wanted it. (Their parents sat together but it seems both children wanted a window seat, and only one of them had that. It could have been fixed if one of the parents gave up their own window seat but they were not willing to do so).
I offered to take the window seat on the row behind but this was not good enough for the 4 people from hell, so I spent the flight surrounded by screaming children and parents who in open conversation blamed their children's "misfortune" (i.e. flying Business Class without paying for it) on me.
Also ... what? The airline sat you amongst prostitutes and ... worst of all ... a family? In your cabin? How dare they.

Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Traveled through FRA last week on intra-European business class. Never again.
But that really has nothing to do with the subject here.....
For F flights FRA is perfectly acceptable, you won't have to experience any of the buses, even on awards. I now hope that when arriving on a intra-european feeder for my F long-haul that I get a remote stand.

And yes, LH F is better than BA F. Even if you don't like caviar :-).
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Very few airlines offer a car service which seems to indicate it isn't a top requirement for those who regularly pay for first class.
Good perk for those who love to blow one's own trumpet though.
Not many airlines could.

You need a critical mass of F pax but not too many (Emirates probably could not do it, they have exclusive F buses for remote stands though!)

You need to want to position your F product in a certain way. And, of course, you need the airport to play ball.

Note that Emirates in Heathrow boards J and F pax directly from the lounge which beats BA.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
transit security.....did not speak acceptable English, they were rude, they opened my bag and searched it (Yikes! how awful )

....... I appealed to two uniformed teenagers of the German federal police who failed miserably in supervising those low lives (i.e. the security personnel). I'm sure your attitude charmed the low-life and the teenagers

On CPH-FRA and on FRA-CPH several economy passengers with no manners whatsoever were op-upped. On CPH-FRA this included ... a woman of the night with her daughter. The woman started bothering me in my seat ..

Upon entry into the cockpit I was asked by the purser in front of everybody whether I would vacate my chosen seat .. that was the seat with the steering-wheel and pretty dials in front of it ?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
They didn't speak acceptable English? You could have always used your impeccable German.
English is the language of international travel and FRA is the only airport in which I have experienced security unable to make themselves understood in English. Granted that may be the case in most uncivilised countries, like Germany.

And even worse, they searched your bag whilst you watched ... at airport security ... well, fancy that.

(I think that's the right icon).
Actually, they opened my bag and searched it without my consent and without me watching.

Also ... what? The airline sat you amongst prostitutes and ... worst of all ... a family? In your cabin? How dare they.

I have no problem with families nor with prostitutes as long as they behave themselves. Mostly they have excellent manners (families that is, my experience with prostitutes in aircraft or otherwise is not abundant).

Last edited by Goldlust; Jun 30, 2014 at 5:53 am Reason: Fixed quotes
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Oh I do enjoy this sort of thread. It's like peeking through a crack in the fence at a completely different world where F people bat around their opinions on the quality of the caviar, the steaks, the wine, the limos - or lack of.

Personally I'd never consider flying F until I can be guaranteed a lavishly painted sedan chair (without scratches) to whisk me through the crowds from my lounge dining table to the captain saluting as I ease myself into my luxury surroundings on board.

Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

On the FRA-CPH segment, they had upgraded a Swedish couple with their 2 terribly noisy and badly behaved young sons (around 5 years of age). Upon entry into the cockpit I was asked by the purser in front of everybody whether I would vacate my chosen seat because one of the children wanted it. (Their parents sat together but it seems both children wanted a window seat, and only one of them had that. It could have been fixed if one of the parents gave up their own window seat but they were not willing to do so).
I offered to take the window seat on the row behind but this was not good enough for the 4 people from hell, so I spent the flight surrounded by screaming children and parents who in open conversation blamed their children's "misfortune" (i.e. flying Business Class without paying for it) on me.
I have to say op-upping young children and likely-to-be drunk people who probably have a higher chance of being disruptive than other passengers towards others would annoy me too.

In addition, I do not think people should expect to swap a seat without a good reason and unless they themselves are prepared to inconvenience themselves, as you have described. I also feel it is inappropriate for cabin crew member to put pressure on you to swap that way.

Saying that, that is not a usual occurrence on LH, or I'd have avoided them like the plague! I suppose you can say you're lucky that it was on a short haul. My worst BA flights were LHR-SYD route (two returns in a short space of time with very disruptive people) with multiple screaming children in F with parents bar one not making any effort to keep them quiet and allowing them to run around the whole cabin (and further). Having already been awake for many hours when I got on board, a 24-hour trip + 5 hour wait for the connecting flight + 1.5 hour flight + 1 hour ground transport or reverse in the other direction, I was feeling thoroughly miserable as those screaming children kept everyone in the cabin awake, not just me (this sort of situation has really turned me against op-upping young children - they have the right to be there if they have paid ticket but not as an op-up - and they should not have the right to disturb everyone else in any case). If I had not known that this was not the usual thing to happen on BA, it probably would have put me off BA to be honest.

So, I hope don't let your CPH experience ruin your overall impression of LH. They honestly aren't always like that. Most of my LH flights were full of well-behaved, quiet adults and children alike, and quite well-disciplined and clean too, as well as nice, discreet and helpful cabin crew.

When I fly up front with BA in Club or First, at least I can be quite sure that if somebody is a jerk (practically never happens, certainly never to such an extent) then that person has paid for being in the premium cabin.
I would not be so sure... I have had disruptive op-ups (children included) on BA. I have also seen a lot of jerks. So much so that I offered my details to cabin crew quite a few times to back them up if they needed to file a report.

I really like BA, don't get me wrong! But ill-behaved people are on every airline. I wish there weren't, but there are...

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 30, 2014 at 6:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.