Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential Ultra Long Routes 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Cubiscus
Unlikely yes, but what an awesome way to get back from Oz - possibly the quickest route with a snappy connection?
Them the 787s or them, BA?

As BA are now flying LHR-IBZ in the summer months.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Cubiscus
Unlikely yes, but what an awesome way to get back from Oz - possibly the quickest route with a snappy connection?
US immigration makes a "snappy" connection less than likely. Remember, no airside transit.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
US immigration makes a "snappy" connection less than likely. Remember, no airside transit.
With the prospect of a London service HNL might be persuaded to implement the same exception that LAX does for NZ flights.

Though I agree that such a prospect is far fetched.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
HNL is usually pretty decent for immigration, relative to say LAX.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:40 am

Potential Ultra Long Routes 2015

HNL has been rumoured for a while. Would BA be able to get traffic rights if they made a stop in Canada. BA could operate the route initially 2 to 3 x weekly LHR-YVR-HNL on a 787-9.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by FreqBAflyer
HNL has been rumoured for a while. Would BA be able to get traffic rights if they made a stop in Canada. BA could operate the route initially 2 to 3 x weekly LHR-YVR-HNL on a 787-9.
I guess another advantage of that is YVR has US pre-clearance, assuming people going to HNL are unloaded.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Terrible route. Nearly as bad as LA. Go via BKK, SIN, ICN, NRT

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lhr-syd...yd,lhr-bkk-syd
Just had a look at your map - and LHR-PER-SYD is nowhere near as "bad" as LA!

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lhr-syd...yd,lhr-lax-syd

Going via Perth adds just 4.5%, while LAX adds 22.4%. Plus brings all the hassles of US immigration. You could really make a snappy connection at Perth and get to wherever you wanted in Australia much more quickly!

For MEL, via PER adds just 1.8%, while LAX adds 27.4%
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
CGK has been mooted for a while, and i've got the IATA figures somewhere that show there are sufficient numbers of travellers on the route (which wouldn't be leisure).

There's a thread with reliable insiders saying it was on the tip of being announced - but maybe Garuda's announcement of 5 x 77W's weekly from LGW-CGK put them off (they subsequently rescheduled their SIN terminator which would have allowed a SIN-CGK-SIN tag on). BA were even confirmed in local papers.

Now Garuda have decided London cannot support 5 x weekly non-stop flights and pulled their non-stop services in favour of routing via AMS, I strongly believe CGK's Business Markets could offer a very strong case for a non-stop 787.

Downside would be perhaps the back of the plane? BA has a poor network of partners in SE Asia having cut back on MI/SQ, and the QF/3K/VF network shrinking, but a tactical partnership with GA on their PER/DPS/SUB routes may help with that.

I'm still struggling to see why CTU is a BA destination in comparison (ok, it's a 3 hour shorter flight), but perhaps the fact that Indonesia probably wouldn't offer any subsidies on slots / landing fees might not help.

CGK was indeed on the verge of being announced but as Garuda can't make London-Jakarta direct work they got their friends in the government to block BA flying LHR-SIN-CGK.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Panic Stations
CGK was indeed on the verge of being announced but as Garuda can't make London-Jakarta direct work they got their friends in the government to block BA flying LHR-SIN-CGK.
Sadly we will never know if GA would have been able to make LGW-CGK non-stop work, i'm sure they won't make LGW-AMS-CGK work.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Sadly we will never know if GA would have been able to make LGW-CGK non-stop work, i'm sure they won't make LGW-AMS-CGK work.
The AMS-CGK works fine for them, apparently. Especially now that the Abu Dhabi stopover has been eliminated.

And it provides an interesting way to get between Amsterdam and London for as long as the tag is preserved ;-)
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The AMS-CGK works fine for them, apparently. Especially now that the Abu Dhabi stopover has been eliminated.

And it provides an interesting way to get between Amsterdam and London for as long as the tag is preserved ;-)
The first part I believe is not true from figures i've seen bandied around, especially in the premium cabin(s). Population 1/4 of UK supporting 2 x airlines flying direct (KLM albeit one stop) from Amsterdam to Jakarta.

But for the 2nd point, yup, I believe you can now book their 1st class cabin for about £750 LGW-AMS-LGW, or a flat bed in J for £550 Give people a real reason to be upset with the Club Europe cabin
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm more interested in the €99 economy returns ;-)

The Netherlands has far greater ties to Indonesia than the UK has - making it the logical point of service in Europe. GA is also now codesharing on KLM to reach the rest of Europe. VFR routes are always likely to have lower factors in the premium cabins.

I have no personal experience of the route (yet) - but the loads anecdotally appear to be quite high...

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...ntum-leap.html
http://www.balidiscovery.com/message...ge.asp?Id=6114

Admittedly those reports are vague and speculative, but in the meanitme, the GA service has gone daily [from 4 times weekly] and less than a month ago went non-stop, and that GA is now in Skyteam, it likely appeals more than the KL stopping service to most travellers.

PS: I'd be very very interested to see those figures, can you share?

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 27, 2014 at 9:29 am
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:57 am

Chengdu flights cut from 5 to 3 a week for the winter season from 26 October (returning to 5 a week from 29 March).

Quite a big seasonal reduction. Where do they re-route the 787 then?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ian001
Regarding the performance of CTU these are the monthly volumes of passengers in both directions for the past few months:

February 1,889
March 1,175
April 2,364
May 3,025
Is that from MIDT, Pax-IS, internal coupon counts or something else?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Is that from MIDT, Pax-IS, internal coupon counts or something else?
Probably the monthly CAA airport/route stats which are available online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.