Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:37 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I have operated four flights with the new seating and I have to say that most customers really do like the new seats and find them more comfortable. I have only had one customer say he did not like them and he was rather tall and sitting in CE. In general the reaction has been very positive contrary to what I read on here, so I do very much doubt that there will be a reversal.
For the majority on the plane the seat pitch has not decreased (except for the A319) and the actual legroom has possibly increased due to the thinner seats as well as the cabin being much newer, so I'm not surprised that the general reaction is positive.

It would probably also be positive from passengers who do not travel regularly on BA and compare it to the LCC's.

For CE passengers there has been a marked reduction in legroom.
Plus domestic/status passengers who select forward seats that used to have extra CE legroom there has been a marked reduction in legroom.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:39 am

how many aircraft have been completed versus the total number in the fleet?

Would be good to see the % chance of getting the new cabin.
A320: 26/50 or 52%
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by nux
For the majority on the plane the seat pitch has not decreased (except for the A319) and the actual legroom has possibly increased due to the thinner seats as well as the cabin being much newer, so I'm not surprised that the general reaction is positive.

It would probably also be positive from passengers who do not travel regularly on BA and compare it to the LCC's.

For CE passengers there has been a marked reduction in legroom.
Plus domestic/status passengers who select forward seats that used to have extra CE legroom there has been a marked reduction in legroom.
I agree with a lot of what you say but I have been asking GCHs who are seated in CE and unlike all of you on here that are completely interested in every little detail about BA, many just assume it is a new aircraft and some have not even noticed the difference.

After reading FT, I was expecting a lot of complaints but I can honestly tell you that even after my asking them for their views, the majority, bar the very tall man, were very positive, even those sitting in CE.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
The very bright blue lights, along the sidewalls, should only be used during boarding.
Thanks for the clarification, maybe they were indeed set incorrectly. I do seem to recall them being switched to the golden light at some point.

But even during boarding/disembarking, I just flat out dislike the lighting - the blue when you're trying to settle down and get comfortable in your window seat looks like those anti-drug abuse toilet lights:

Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by csutter
Thanks for the clarification, maybe they were indeed set incorrectly. I do seem to recall them being switched to the golden light at some point.

But even during boarding/disembarking, I just flat out dislike the lighting - the blue when you're trying to settle down and get comfortable in your window seat looks like those anti-drug abuse toilet lights:

Yes, I don't like the brightest setting and I turn it down ASAP. My favourite setting is the lowest which had a very gentle feeling to it.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
New Shorthaul Cabins

Just sat down in 3F. It's fine. No idea what the fuss is about.

I'm not a tall guy but I am a 34" inside leg. Not even near touching the back of the seat in front.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
After reading FT, I was expecting a lot of complaints but I can honestly tell you that even after my asking them for their views, the majority, bar the very tall man, were very positive, even those sitting in CE.
Which is very good news for BA. Still, I am surprised that there are so many GCH out there who don't notice a seat pitch reduction from 34" to 30".

For me personally, it is a major reduction in the product I've gotten used to. That said, since my first try of it, I haven't had a problem getting a seat in row 1. As long as that continues then i'll be a happy customer
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by RedcardPingle
For me personally, it is a major reduction in the product I've gotten used to. That said, since my first try of it, I haven't had a problem getting a seat in row 1. As long as that continues then i'll be a happy customer
Indeed. I actually used to prefer rows 2 or 3 over row 1 but since this "enhancement" started, I've been trying to make sure I get in row 1. So far this has been successful, but competition for the first row must now be bigger than it was before.

I'm afraid overall the reduction in seat pitch is a pretty big deterioration of the CE product IMHO. SH travel was grim enough as it is compared to CW or F on LH, and it seems to continue to spiral downwards.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paul4040
I am a 34" inside leg. Not even near touching the back of the seat in front.
Goodness
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Talking

Originally Posted by paul4040
Just sat down in 3F. It's fine. No idea what the fuss is about.

I'm not a tall guy but I am a 34" inside leg. Not even near touching the back of the seat in front.
Then you must have a particularly short femur!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:42 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I agree with a lot of what you say but I have been asking GCHs who are seated in CE and unlike all of you on here that are completely interested in every little detail about BA, many just assume it is a new aircraft and some have not even noticed the difference.

I've noticed the seat pitch difference and I'm a short ... with a 28" inside leg! Not a big big issue to me, but you can tell the difference by the seat positioning by the windows. The new cabin does look very smart however.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
I have operated four flights with the new seating and I have to say that most customers really do like the new seats and find them more comfortable. I have only had one customer say he did not like them and he was rather tall and sitting in CE. In general the reaction has been very positive contrary to what I read on here, so I do very much doubt that there will be a reversal.
I agree that most of the people in ET might not complain. The big problem is the reduction in seat pitch in CE, especially for rather tall people. I will no longer travel in the new CE cabin and prefer to be seated in ET (exit seat). Most unfortunately, when booking a LH flight in First with a connection at LHR, I am automatically assigned a CE seat for the SH connecting flight ex/to EU. This means that I now have to call the BA service center to get a downgrade to an ET exit seat on my SH flight with the new SH cabin. Seat pitch is very important to me, much more important than the Monopole or the food served in CE.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
You should just choose row 1 if available, I presume GGLs get that perk too!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:41 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by angatol
I don't care all that much about the legroom as the ability to use a laptop. Has anyone confirmed that it's feasible to use a 17" laptop in these seats with the laptop on the table? Bonus points if it's still possible after the person in front reclines.
If you have short arms, yes but it will be a bit tight. If the seat in front is reclined then no, you will likely be unable to read the screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.