Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA and Mauritius Airport - Anyone experienced the new Terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

I'm looking at going to Mauritius later in the year and despite searching the web, including here, I could only find one small review on Skytrax.

Has anyone been through the new Terminal since it opened late last year?

Is there Fast Track?

What is the new ATOL Lounge like?

Is the Arrivals lounge any good?

Airports of Mauritius operates two lounges, namely La Terrasse for departures and the Arrival Premium Lounge, in the airport terminal building. After long and tiresome journeys passengers can enjoy the calmness and beauty of these spaces, which are a perfect blend of exoticism and modernity, dedicated to their comfort. Along with special services provided to lounge users, trLavelling through the SSR International Airport becomes a hassle free and pleasant experience.

I've been to MRU three times before and only know the old set up so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pete
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:30 pm
MBX

We just flew back from MRU on Friday. The terminal works well and we were through security in no time. I'm not sure if there was a fast track security line as it was so quiet at that time of morning anyway.
The Atol lounge was fine although way too bright for early morning! Plenty of drinks, some food and some out of date newspapers. Can't complain as it did the job.

Boarding was efficient with a dedicated fast track lane.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
My experience last month mirrors that of MBX's, a one person wait at Club checkin (economy did look a fair bit longer but nothing outrageous), no security or immigration queues whatsoever and then a short walk to the lounge, which I really liked, decent food and drink options (inc hot breakfast)

The lounge is right by the BA gate, Fast Track was run but was a bit chaotic on our experience as they boarded babies at the same time which caused a bit of grid lock

All in a much better experience than the old terminal (and LGW)

Pic of the lounge food area-

http://catchmypicture.com/f/6MFVH3/800.jpg

Pic of the lounge looking back to one of the seating areas-

http://catchmypicture.com/f/XqD1PJ/800.jpg
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
The Atol lounge is fine, it's clean and it does a job but nothing to get excited about.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Marriott Gold.
I flew through there last year.

On arrival there was a fast track line for "premium" travelers only, however, eligibility was not checked. We were in WT+ at the time so assumed it included us. The wait was about 25 minutes in total.

Everything else was smooth, clean and nice.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the feedback, photos and info, very much appreciated ^^^^

Pete
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:59 am

any recent reviews on Mauritius lounge/ba ?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I was there last year and found it perfectly pleasant.

I was offered a cocktail as soon as the lift doors opened, and found the place pretty comfortable.

Is it worth spending longer than 2 hours there? No, but its better than many other outstation lounges.

M
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Anyone have any view on aircraft/service on the MRU route in Club?

Have booked for later in the year. Now I know the LGW aircraft have a bad reputation for being especially run-down, so am not expecting great things - but will nonetheless be a little annoyed if we get a real old rust-bucket for a 12-hour flight when we've paid for premium...

Are these typically the oldest 777s? BA Trackers seems to suggest that the very oldest birds at LGW run the Florida routes and that MRU seems (comparatively) newer aircraft?

Anyone have any experience? Just want to prep myself & Mrs R for possible disappointment if the Club World experience is inferior to, say, out of LHR in some way...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:14 am

p.s. - arrivals lounge at MRU? What's the point...the inbound flight lands around lunchtime and not many hotel transfers in Mauritius will take much more than an hour...surely breakfast on the plane before landing then transfer direct to hotel to check in, freshen up and enjoy your holiday?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ratypus
Anyone have any view on aircraft/service on the MRU route in Club?

Have booked for later in the year. Now I know the LGW aircraft have a bad reputation for being especially run-down, so am not expecting great things - but will nonetheless be a little annoyed if we get a real old rust-bucket for a 12-hour flight when we've paid for premium...

Are these typically the oldest 777s? BA Trackers seems to suggest that the very oldest birds at LGW run the Florida routes and that MRU seems (comparatively) newer aircraft?

Anyone have any experience? Just want to prep myself & Mrs R for possible disappointment if the Club World experience is inferior to, say, out of LHR in some way...
CW last year was fine, but it's an older 3-class aircraft so don't expect much!

The crew were the highlight for us.

M

Originally Posted by ratypus
p.s. - arrivals lounge at MRU? What's the point...the inbound flight lands around lunchtime and not many hotel transfers in Mauritius will take much more than an hour...surely breakfast on the plane before landing then transfer direct to hotel to check in, freshen up and enjoy your holiday?
Certain hotels may have later check-in, especially if the aircraft lands early.

Grand Baie is about 90-120mins from the airport, meaning heading to The Oberoi takes a while!

Fortunately, Mauritius is blessed with hotels in every direction - albeit the weather is best in the Northwest (hence The Oberoi being our preferred hotel).

M
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:22 am

Thanks - not sure I have ever flown one of the 3-class 777s (my flying tends to be to US destinations with 4-class service) - I just won't set expectations too high for Club World and hope the crew are on good form!

Guess that makes some sense for arrivals lounge - did not realise some of the resorts were that long a transfer (my first trip to MRU coming up) - good to know there is one, just in case - we'll be flying long-haul with a 10-month old so there's every chance we'll need a sit down the minute we get off the plane....
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Bar the older IFE, expect little different from what you've experienced on any 777 service from LHR from the hard product
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:41 am

ta - I had clocked the old IFE and will have the ipad fully loaded (as always): it's a night flight anyway so will be trying to sleep...

I will miss the Upper Deck experience though! Club World is such a different experience 'downstairs'
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: BA, EK, UA, MK
The new terminal at MRU is just fine, and of course a major improvement on the old one. I've been a frequent user for the past 4 years, including through the (very well executed) terminal switch. As to equipment/service on LGW-MRU, other posters are managing expectations down and they're probably right to do so. In my experience - first post here as it happens but regular traveller now semi retired so more time on my hands - there's a big difference in staff attitude to customers between LGW and other stations. In fact it was this that drove me from BA around 3 years back when I stopped using the flag carrier. Can expand if anyone's interested but it did stem from, among other things, the FA asking me (Gold Card - then -) if I'd ever flown in CW before! Travelling alone and dressed for business, so hardly a honeymooner! In short, don't expect much from CW on LGW-MRU and if you're lucky you'll be surprised on the upside!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.