Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I think BA is quite consistent. I always get greeted in F and CW, never in other cabin classes ... so I thought this was their policy.

A remark on CX. Yes, I get a personal greeting without exception - but equally without exception the CSD asks me why I don't switch to their FFP ... In my view, this is rather offensive ...
Old May 29, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
My experience is that the (majority of) BA crew are prepared to do the absolute bare minimum to stop passengers complaining, and only because complaining passengers would create more work for them (hence it's in their interests to do the bare minimum).

My recent DXB-LHR-DXB trip saw the crew all entirely absent for most of the flight, meal service was gruffily rushed and other than that, there was basically non-existent crew or service, certainly there was no 'visible' presence throughout the flight, and nobody in the entire cabin got any sort of welcome or hello or anything (including David Haye who was on the flight).

Compare and contrast this to the middle east airlines where the crew are what makes them... And I agree that most of the other OW carriers (esp CX) are much better at recognition and delivering a genuine service.

The BA crew are generally so complacent, probably explaining why they so proudly wear their union badges which is the only reason why many have managed to keep their jobs for so long instead of having being replaced by someone who actually wants to deliver service rather than sit in the galley and read a book (forbidden on many other airlines). Flame away, but it pains me to say that I for one am always disappointed by the tawdry and bare-minimum approach adopted by the BA crews as a friendly, dedicated and service orientated crew make or break an airline....
Old May 29, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
My experience is that the (majority of) BA crew are prepared to do the absolute bare minimum to stop passengers complaining, and only because complaining passengers would create more work for them (hence it's in their interests to do the bare minimum).
Bad luck. I have met that kind of attitude (and not only on BA) but such types seem to me in the minority. The majority I'd say are good-to-very-good with some memorably stellar individuals. Maybe it's the luck of the draw but one should never discount the theory that the world has a way of modelling itself to each individual. The world's a much nicer place to people with a friendly demeanour.
BenF likes this.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by swiss_global
I think BA is quite consistent.
Had the CSD welcome again last week LHR-SAN in WT+, after a long gap, but had it a few times, East and West across the Atlantic last year.

LH greet SEN/HON by surname (Herr aidanc ), typically when they're doing the short haul drinks, and only if they remember to take the list.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I only joined BAEC last year, and I had the CSD come to me and introduce himself to me, referred to me by name, and I was all very disconcerted as I was probably 30 TP on one side of Bronze at the time.

Turns out I'd left my wallet in the lav before takeoff and he was returning it to me.

As a result if a BA crewmember says my name now, I mentally backtrack and start patting pockets to make sure I've not left my passport in the lounge or something.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: ECH Gold
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB

My recent DXB-LHR-DXB trip saw the crew all entirely absent for most of the flight, meal service was gruffily rushed and other than that, there was basically non-existent crew or service, certainly there was no 'visible' presence throughout the flight, and nobody in the entire cabin got any sort of welcome or hello or anything (including David Haye who was on the flight).

Compare and contrast this to the middle east airlines where the crew are what makes them... And I agree that most of the other OW carriers (esp CX) are much better at recognition and delivering a genuine service.

The BA crew are generally so complacent, probably explaining why they so proudly wear their union badges which is the only reason why many have managed to keep their jobs for so long instead of having being replaced by someone who actually wants to deliver service rather than sit in the galley and read a book (forbidden on many other airlines). Flame away, but it pains me to say that I for one am always disappointed by the tawdry and bare-minimum approach adopted by the BA crews as a friendly, dedicated and service orientated crew make or break an airline....
If BA disappoints you so much why do you continue to give them your business? There is usually an option of another carrier on most routes. I notice that you reside in Dubai, are an EK card holder, if you consider them to be fantastic it puzzles me why you were on BA???
Crismyth likes this.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Only had 'this' CSD/CSM chat three times;

-twice in First, once in CE.

Although I'm not too bothered as I've been greeted by CIHY at a DO, which proved entertaining, given I had offered 'certain' services to any CC that would tell me the schedule of the A380/787 training flights...it proved to be an interesting first few minutes @:-)

(and no, he remained professional and didn't 'squeak')

Actually, one just needs to sit next to CWS and you'll definitely see some greeting going on. (and he deserves it) ^
Old May 29, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M
I get these, maybe, every fourth or fifth flight of mine, regardless of class (though I haven't been in a standard Traveller cabin since I'd become Gold.) I'm really not that fussy whether I receive the personal greeting or not, but if I do, I really like it - hearing a 'personal' nice word from the chief flight attendant (?) is always nice.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Your all talk BotB if I thought you would follow through I might have been more open.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
I quite enjoy having my ego massaged though a foot massage on a Long Haul would be nice
Arsey00 likes this.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA gold
Used to get it all the time until late last year, and it stopped altogether. CX and QF (on longhauls) always do it. QF doesn't greet me on domestics, even on long sectors like SYD-PER.

These days I get the impression I am forgotten about in the dark rows at the back of the plane after I used to get so many greets.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Generally happens every time in F, 50% of the time in J and occasionally in WT+, not too fussed either way, but the offer of "if there's anything I can do/get for you" is appreciated when it happens, particularly when I'm in WT/WT+.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I've not had the pleasure of being greeted by name on a BA flight yet (the lowly bronze member that I am), but I do enjoy personal(ized) greetings on other occasions in service-based situations. But they have to be done right.

A personal greeting is, for me, much more an assurance that my needs as a guest are being taken seriously and taken care of. It's about a personal connection (as performed as it may be) and feeling comfortable. It's much more about creating the right atmosphere than about anything else, really. It's one aspect of many that make outstanding service.

For me, it's certainly not about status. I don't care if I get a different treatment than anybody else in the cabin (or anywhere else); I only care about the service I am receiving.

In fact, it might sound schizophrenic, but I think someone letting me know that they are being nice for the sake of the amount of business I bring in is not the way to make me feel better about the service. If the result of my frequent choice of BA or any other service results in a better service towards me, however, it is much appreciated.

So, being greeted by name while boarding, having someone from the cabin crew come over during the flight and ask if I need anything, maybe offering just a something little extra like the chocolate mentioned in another post - that's all great. Getting a speech about my value to the airline... not so much. Precise, personal and seemingly effortless service that is invisible most of the time makes all the difference.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Happened last night on the last flight up to EDI. I was one of the first people into the front of the 767 cabin and the CSD came up to me, introduced herself and shook my hand. I then introduced her to my parents who were travelling with me and she also greeted them and was most attentive throughout the flight. Didn't find it creepy, but my parents think I am some sort of royalty for getting them such good service.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, Hilton Gold
I thought there was a policy change or something because I always used to be greeted in First, almost never in Club.
But now I don't even get greeted in First anymore out of 4 last flights.
And not be honest I think service gone down as well, no one is even remotely close to get golden ticket from me.
Closest to a greet I got was at JFK flying First at door from CSD. Oh you have gold? You fly to much! (when he looked at my bp) Never saw him again after that..

I got more recognition from IB and AA than my "own" airline.

Unhappy cabin crew?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.