Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG F Lounge in BA First

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Neilpatel10
Hi. I'm in BA F from HKG to LHR but am only BAEC bronze card holder. Can I still use the Wing lounge?

Thanks
We are only BAEC blue card holders and used the Wing lounge last month.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm flying BA F next week to HKG and was connecting to a CX flight to SGN in J, which was due to depart a few hours later. The CX flight was cancelled and I was put onto an earlier flight (08:45am next Wednesday). To accommodate me, BA moved my flight from Tuesday to Monday so I now have to overnight in HKG to catch the Wednesday flight. My question is, do I have access to the CX First Lounge on my Wednesday departure (by virtue of arriving the day before at 16:40on BA F and <24 hours connection) or just J? Both are redemption tickets under separate bookings?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Genius1
Eh? If travelling in oneworld first class, you can access any oneworld first class lounge in the same terminal (just like if you are travelling oneworld business class you can access any oneworld business class lounge in the same terminal).

If travelling BA First ex-HKG, you have access to CX The Wing, The Pier, The Cabin and/or The Bridge. There are F sections to The Wing and The Pier, although the latter is currently closed for refurbishment.

There is also no combined Qantas/BA lounge - QF operate The Qantas Hong Kong Lounge.
Sorry for the bum steer then. I thought lounge access was with the carrier you are booked on unless you have status in which case you can use a one-world lounge of your choice. I think I was confusing guesting rights. As for BA/Qantas, again, I was confused (probably because of the lounge location). I agree with others though, who choose the Wing F for a cabana bath/shower, followed by food and then move to the QF lounge to relax. I like the friendly staff, especially the maître d' who makes a point of remembering your name all the time you are in the lounge (which was 5 hours for me last time...)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I would agree with the recommendation to try the QF lounge it is a quality product and infinitely better than most BA outstation efforts. I have decided that I don't like the Wing. Everything I used to like about it seems to have been made slightly worse in the refit. I particularly dislike the dining room and seating areas.
Just goes to show you can't please all of the people all of the time. I was in The Haven (The Wing's First Class Dining area) at the weekend and thought it was excellent in all ways, including the at-table service. The seating areas are too small though, I would agree with that. Luckily (there were 3 of us), we managed to find seats in the Champagne area before and after dinner so all was good!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would agree with the recommendation to try the QF lounge it is a quality product and infinitely better than most BA outstation efforts. I have decided that I don't like the Wing. Everything I used to like about it seems to have been made slightly worse in the refit. I particularly dislike the dining room and seating areas.
I agree with you, which worries me somewhat! The main seating area is quite off putting now. The food isn't that good either, certainly not as good as the CCRs, the menu has hardly changed all year - but at least the Noodle Bar is better, and we also have the Qantas option, albeit not quite so well located.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I agree with you, which worries me somewhat! The main seating area is quite off putting now. The food isn't that good either, certainly not as good as the CCRs, the menu has hardly changed all year - but at least the Noodle Bar is better, and we also have the Qantas option, albeit not quite so well located.
Yes the dining area is far too bright and the food seems worse than in the old Haven, the ambience is definitely worse. The cabanas aren't nearly so usable or flexible. I used to really love the F Wing but now I see it as just another lounge really.

It would be nice if after over 10 years they shook up the noodle bar menu a little too.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Thanks for all the replies. Do you know if we can take guests into The Wing or QF lounge as you can with CCR? We're going to be with a couple of friends who are flying to LHR with Virgin...
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Glad to see that Land-of-Miles and corporate-wage-slave have expressed what I feel about the Wing F lounge. I do like the noodle bar but the facility is not as comfortable for me, as it was before the refit.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neilpatel10
Thanks for all the replies. Do you know if we can take guests into The Wing or QF lounge as you can with CCR? We're going to be with a couple of friends who are flying to LHR with Virgin...
You can only take in guests flying OW (as is also the case with the CCR). The only exception to this that I am aware of is that CX also serves
LX with their lounges.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

The Qantas lounge is in exactly the same place, just turn left after security instead of right.

Maybe it says more about my tastes than anything , but the QF lounge food ranks up there at the very top for me. The Wing F is hit and miss (although the self serve stuff is good) and the CCR food has been bland and dry every time I've ever eaten in there.

If I'm flying from a low gate I pay the Aussies a visit, otherwise I'll head to a quieter CX offering. Objectively The Wing is a top class lounge but it's never felt quite right to me somehow, pre or post refurb.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by phol

The Qantas lounge is in exactly the same place, just turn left after security instead of right.

Maybe it says more about my tastes than anything , but the QF lounge food ranks up there at the very top for me. The Wing F is hit and miss (although the self serve stuff is good) and the CCR food has been bland and dry every time I've ever eaten in there.

If I'm flying from a low gate I pay the Aussies a visit, otherwise I'll head to a quieter CX offering. Objectively The Wing is a top class lounge but it's never felt quite right to me somehow, pre or post refurb.
I guess this is one of those things of personal taste. I don't like the QF lounge concept with big bowls of cheap salads. The cheesecake is good, but the serving size was so pitiful (wafer thin) on the day I was there the slice wouldn't even stand up on the plate.

Compared to CX business class lounges the QF food offering in my opinion falls well short. And no comparison to the F lounge.

But each to their own
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phol

Isn't the entrance now at the back of the old J lounge not between the F and J sections as it used to be.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Isn't the entrance now at the back of the old J lounge not between the F and J sections as it used to be.
The entrance to the current QF lounge is where the entrance to that lounge has been since the day that Chek Lap Kok opened!

When it first opened, you reached the F section by walking through the J section to the far end, and then there was another door and another desk. Now the whole area is a single space (as it has been since QF opened the downstairs J lounge and the original lounge became an F lounge only - it's now all changed again, of course).

FWIW, I've not been wildly impressed with either the Wing (F or J, old or new) or the new QF lounge (although I've only visited once so far). Both are fine, but not much more than that. However, my views may be coloured by the fact that after a visit to Hong Kong for the reasons that I go there, the thing I least want to do in either of the lounges is eat.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I agree with the recommendation of the QF lounge over The Wing, although while The Wing is not as good as it was I still enjoy the Noodle Bar.

A few weeks ago I left a completely packed Wing and got to the QF lounge that had the grand total of five other guests. Granted this was early afternoon so away from the later bank of flights but its so big and spacious, with great views from large areas, I'd recommend using it over any other lounge at any time.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:18 am

I only went in the old one once so I don't remember the layout.

There are two entrances at either end. The main entrance is as you turn right directly after security. There is another entrance at the far end next to gate 16 that they declare closed from time to time, but they will let you in if there is someone manning the small desk there (90% of the time there is).

Last edited by 1010101; Sep 16, 2014 at 5:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.