Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London City changes (expect more from London City Airport this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London City changes (expect more from London City Airport this year)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
LCY vs SOU vs LHR

not as sophisticated an analysis as the heading suggests but this week I flew for the first time from LCY. I flew to ZRH. I do normally fly from LHR not least because these days theonly flights I can get from SOU tend to be DUB.

At LCY Security was quick, though not as personable as SOU. Once through security I found airside at LCY to be quite claustrophobic, lots of pillars which obstructed my view and sense of direction, quite crowded, plus screens were small and weren't easy to spot.

I'm also quite interested in the concept of TATL flights from here, I'd imagined from posts on here it would be a bit more spacious and relaxed but I couldnt see where BA001 might start with delivering any sort of prestige environment. Maybe i was there at the wrong time of day...the "bunfight" environment makes the lack of lounge even more surprising to me.

Anyway,the bit that really clinched my opinion for me, is that despite intending to fly to ZRH, I somehow found myself handing over my boarding card and passport at "my" gate and VERY luckily being turned away from the FRA flight. I had to do a walk of shame to leave the queue and gate. I know exactly what happened- the screens and writing are so small (and my eyes are ageing) that I read across the wrong line of text. Started with Zurich, ended in Frankfurt!!

Anyway, after 20 years of flying for business, this was the first time this has ever happened to me , and because of that I think its related to the airport arrangements.

Have others a similar experience at LCY? ( maybe just me who was ditzy?)

CP
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
any flights I have had from LCY tend to have been at off peak times and although it lacks a lounge I find it to be quite a pleasant environment to sit and have a drink waiting for the flight
yes maybe the security staff are a bit dour [as we scots might say]
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
any flights I have had from LCY tend to have been at off peak times and although it lacks a lounge I find it to be quite a pleasant environment to sit and have a drink waiting for the flight
yes maybe the security staff are a bit dour [as we scots might say]
perhaps i should clarify further, not so much dour, and indeed pretty similar to LHR, but maybe thats my point, for a small airport, very stiff....as i do believe the staff can be personable without compromising on safety. I dont expect it at a big busy airport, but my comparison is SOU because its also small where the security staff are always engaged and engaging
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Champagne please
perhaps i should clarify further, not so much dour, and indeed pretty similar to LHR, but maybe thats my point, for a small airport, very stiff....as i do believe the staff can be personable without compromising on safety. I dont expect it at a big busy airport, but my comparison is SOU because its also small where the security staff are always engaged and engaging
The only airport I've found with "engaging" security staff is AMS.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
The only airport I've found with "engaging" security staff is AMS.
AMS? Did you hug them and say " i love you"?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
The planes have to rev up a lot to take off on the short runway and also to brake when landing. I had friends at Western Beach (end of the dock, west side) and you could here the noise from takeoff until it flew overhead. For about 15 seconds conversation was difficult if the windows were open - something they only discovered in the summer as the flat was on sale in the winter and viewings were cleverly arranged for Saturday afternoon when the airport is shut.

Visited a friend at an apartment next to the Excel centre and the planes were audible from the dock facing rooms with the windows shut.

I go to Thames Barrier park occasionally (next to Pontoon Dock) on a Sunday afternoon and you do hear the planes. I once went early midweek in the summer and was shocked at how frequently the planes landed and took off from there as the park was particularly quiet, but the whine of the jets surprised me. It's a bit muffled at first from the other buildings, but when it clears the sky it's loud. I don't mind as I like planes, but anyone that's noise sensitive won't.

Speaking of which, I believe LCY is trying to make changes to allow 50,000 more flights a year. The local residents are objecting, but if it doesn't happen now it will probably get passed in the future.
Thank you. This specific information is extremely useful. Appreciate it!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold

I'm also quite interested in the concept of TATL flights from here, I'd imagined from posts on here it would be a bit more spacious and relaxed but I couldnt see where BA001 might start with delivering any sort of prestige environment. Maybe i was there at the wrong time of day...the "bunfight" environment makes the lack of lounge even more surprising to me.
BA1/3 has it's own dedicated gate lounge at gate 24. It's only for those 2 flights, and only has as many seats as there are on the plane.

It's not like a real lounge at LHR or LGW, but it sure beats being in the main terminal
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
BA1/3 has it's own dedicated gate lounge at gate 24. It's only for those 2 flights, and only has as many seats as there are on the plane.

It's not like a real lounge at LHR or LGW, but it sure beats being in the main terminal
It's not quite dedicated: I've been on a GLA flight from gate 24 before. They take away all the goodies from the refreshment table and cover up the fridges - and as there are only 32 seats, most people had to stand. (Those who did get seats, however, were probably comfier than in the other gates!)
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:02 pm

Re the noise, and new development at Pontoon Dock. While helicopters are never permitted into LCY, there is helicopter noise in the area - the only helicopter route follows the river. Some of the military choppers are loud, and fly at night. This isn't specific to Pontoon Dock, it affects any property near the Thames.
When I become Mayor, the first thing I'm doing is banning these things.... :-)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by teflon
It's not quite dedicated: I've been on a GLA flight from gate 24 before. They take away all the goodies from the refreshment table and cover up the fridges - and as there are only 32 seats, most people had to stand. (Those who did get seats, however, were probably comfier than in the other gates!)
Maybe they could make gate 24 the dedicated club lounge, and then bus people to their plane!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Re the noise, and new development at Pontoon Dock. While helicopters are never permitted into LCY, there is helicopter noise in the area - the only helicopter route follows the river. Some of the military choppers are loud, and fly at night. This isn't specific to Pontoon Dock, it affects any property near the Thames.
When I become Mayor, the first thing I'm doing is banning these things.... :-)
Can I be your campaign manager? Apart from the Chinook helicopters, we have to put up with film and tv ones (The Fast and Furious 6 was really annoying as they caused road closures along with the choppers overhead) and what seems to be an increasing amount of pleasure ones. While I quite like hearing the early arrivals come in from 4.30am en-route to LHR, they move. Last Sunday we were tying to enjoy the unusually warm sunshine at Canary Riverside and had a black helicopter hover in front and around for about 20 minutes. Grrr!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm also quite interested in the concept of TATL flights from here, I'd imagined from posts on here it would be a bit more spacious and relaxed but I couldnt see where BA001 might start with delivering any sort of prestige environment.
It's not really intended to deliver a prestige environment. Reading too much FT makes one think that everyone approaches a long-haul J flight with the intention of spending hours in the lounge downing all the alcohol that one fancies.

The LCY-JFK flights are, in contrast, intended for a different audience. My companion works with people who not infrequently use this flight. It's a case of start in the office; head off to LCY to get there about half an hour before the flight, arrive at the gate when boarding is in progress, get on board and resume working as soon as safety rules permit.

You don't need a prestige environment for this market; it's not interested. And the gate arrangement does cater well for those who get to the airport earlier and have some time to kill.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's not really intended to deliver a prestige environment. Reading too much FT makes one think that everyone approaches a long-haul J flight with the intention of spending hours in the lounge downing all the alcohol that one fancies.
I tend to take this attitude at LCY...

I find it useful for morning departures where I'd rather spend the time in bed rather than trying to meet a 45 minute check-in/security cut off rule followed by a wait in a lounge (LGW/LHR).

Similarly, I don't like to wait around at LCY as I don't think there's much personal space to be had - it's often hard to find somewhere to sit in the evenings and I've never had success being productive whilst waiting...some of the loo's at LCY remind me of motorway service stations too.

If I know I'm going to arrive with plenty of time spare, I'll use LGW or LHR.
If my schedule makes me pushed for time, I book from LCY.

Arrivals are also faster at LCY - no need for the the wiggly walk or bus one gets at LGW and no need to worry about taxi times one gets at LHR (worse if you have hold luggage). The downside is then having to get to a the mainline railway station if going south (not bad if staying in London though).

I'm not overly fond of departing from Southampton although arriving is quick.
Last time I used SOU, the check-in systems had to be rebooted leaving me waiting around landside until the flight was ready to be manually processed. Left no room at all to be productive during the wait; not that there's many options airside anyway.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: Free agent
LCY - great for when you actually need to get somewhere in London; and great for the 20:50 back to EDI for the drive home after a nice dinner at a sane time. It's just so much less fuss than any other London airport.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbfield
no need for the the wiggly walk.
Is this a function of champagne consumption?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.