Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shabby reward for loyalty!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There's a couple of Silver card holders who never have much of a problem upgrading their heavily discounted JER-IAD WT+ tickets into CW using Avios. In fact they find it so easy they do it twice a year.

Some routes are easier than others.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by vjha
This is ridiculous, and totally opposite of what other programs like Miles and More do. In my experience, if I have an upgradable economy ticket and enough miles, straightaway I get an upgrade.

I am bot sure if this is a global Brirish Airways policy or whether only the India office treats its frequent fliers this shabbily.
Don't worry all frequent flyers, even the very top of the pileare treated the same way.

The BAEC simply does not work in the way you hope/ think it should, I'd suggest that you do indeed fly with Lufthansa/ Swiss if you prefer M&Ms functions
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Blimey you lot - the poor bloke's second post, eight years after his first, and he gets this tirade!

Honestly, the man on the Clapham omnibus could be forgiven for thinking that upgrades were straightforward, given the right underlying ticket and enough avios...

as Terence would sing, 'let [him] down easy'...
i think the OP has summed it up in his original post.

"One reason for loyalty is the possibility of getting upgrades" - e.g. its not a god given right, a promise or even a high probability - there is a possibility, if you're flexible, if you book early or if you keep an eye out for seats opening as your flight date approaches
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by vjha
I have purchased several upgrade-eligible Premium Economy tickets a long while ago with the hope that there will be seats for an upgrade, but the Club people keep fobbing me off saying they will first see if they can sell tickets in Business Class and only then entertain upgrade requests. So having tons of Avios in my account does not help!! Even now, I have been kept on hold, waiting for upgrades in three PNRs.
I'm afraid it doesn't work like that, and there is nothing that the "India office" can do about releasing Avios reward or upgrade (UuA) seats irrespective of how many seats have been sold on a particular flight. There is no way that the "India office" can "entertain upgrade requests" even when they think they have sold enough tickets in CW, although it is possible that cash upgrades will be available on MMB sometime between now and the date of your flights or at the airport on the day.

Reward and UuA availability is released centrally by BA at sometime between T-355 days and T-24 hours, but there is no guarantee that any seats will be released on any given flight in any given class even if the cabin is almost empty at T-24 hours.

Your best option is to keep checking online on a daily basis; phoning and waiting in a queue is a waste of time.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by V10
Indeed not and I wouldn't suggest that for a moment. Although if they're achieving GGL status on the back of routinely buying WT+ tickets they deserve any upgrades they can get.
Quite easy to hit 3k+ when travelling WTP.

Doing in in discount economy is the tough one.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Quite easy to hit 3k+ when travelling WTP.
Seventeen WT+ round-trips a year, or one every three weeks (if you use simple out-and-backs). Obviously very possible, but I'm not sure that even I would describe that as "quite easy"!

Discount Y would require almost one round-trip a week.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Silver, KL Gold, EK Silver
Originally Posted by BHDATC
I think BA are right on the money with their award availability. Look hard enough and seats are there as a reward, not as a given right.

I always look at UUA as a bonus.
Agree with this completely. BA is a business like any other airline and while I too sometimes find it frustrating to not be able to cherry pick my awards/upgrades, it is a reality I would subscribe to that it is better for a business (and its shareholders) to obtain cash for a seat if this is possible. Award availability is simply the airlines reflection of trying to optimize the sale of as many seats as possible at the highest amount possible, as well as avoiding the formation of attitudes that 'any unsold seats will be released as award space' as is the case in the US where virtually nobody pays for point-to-point premium travel anymore for this reason.

I consider myself reasonably satisfied with my UUA/award history - while I could also be even happier with this, I understand that they prefer cash to my pitiful miles

To the OP, as someone else suggested, keep looking and you might get lucky - and I would also avoid getting emotional with staff at the call centers as they have little or no impact on what they can or cannot sell. It is however the case that there is a huge variety of skill-sets within call centre staff and that some are more able to help you than others simply based on their skill set, ability and commitment to customer service, e.g. interest in your needs. It isn't always that straight-forward to navigate airline booking systems..
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goagain
Agree with this completely. BA is a business like any other airline and while I too sometimes find it frustrating to not be able to cherry pick my awards/upgrades, it is a reality I would subscribe to that it is better for a business (and its shareholders) to obtain cash for a seat if this is possible. Award availability is simply the airlines reflection of trying to optimize the sale of as many seats as possible at the highest amount possible, as well as avoiding the formation of attitudes that 'any unsold seats will be released as award space' as is the case in the US where virtually nobody pays for point-to-point premium travel anymore for this reason.

I consider myself reasonably satisfied with my UUA/award history - while I could also be even happier with this, I understand that they prefer cash to my pitiful miles

To the OP, as someone else suggested, keep looking and you might get lucky - and I would also avoid getting emotional with staff at the call centers as they have little or no impact on what they can or cannot sell. It is however the case that there is a huge variety of skill-sets within call centre staff and that some are more able to help you than others simply based on their skill set, ability and commitment to customer service, e.g. interest in your needs. It isn't always that straight-forward to navigate airline booking systems..
Thes best advice I can give the OP is to simply decide to play it one way or the other. Either cut your costs or understand that there are no clear rules to the game and that it is a complete gamble of your time and money.

Perhaps it makes sense to save the money spent on the higher fare ticket and use that savings to buy the seat you want when the fare is the right price.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to quit giving loyalty to businesses and give it to yourself. You can see how sad it can be when people accept being taken advantage of by a business they have a peculiar loyalty to.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by IcHot
You can see how sad it can be when people accept being taken advantage of by a business they have a peculiar loyalty to.
I suspect the only people here who are actually loyal to any airline/hotel brand are those who are pleased with the benefits they have received in return.

The OP seems to have stuck with BA despite him receiving nothing but bad service....that's a strange one.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I suspect the only people here who are actually loyal to any airline/hotel brand are those who are pleased with the benefits they have received in return.
Or they are a captive audience. I do 100+ segments a year in a mixture of short and long haul. There is no chance on Earth I would entertain the thought of connecting flights (and getting this up to 200+ segments a year). Being based in London means I am damned to loyalty to BA.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Or they are a captive audience. I do 100+ segments a year in a mixture of short and long haul. There is no chance on Earth I would entertain the thought of connecting flights (and getting this up to 200+ segments a year). Being based in London means I am damned to loyalty to BA.
Yes, plus those who have no say in the matter. They tend to be the grumpy ones.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Don't worry all frequent flyers, even the very top of the pileare treated the same way.

The BAEC simply does not work in the way you hope/ think it should, I'd suggest that you do indeed fly with Lufthansa/ Swiss if you prefer M&Ms functions
I agree. Unfortunately OP has an expectation based on past experiences on another airline. OP needs to understand that Airlines keep changing the rules for reward redemptions, upgrades etc including devaluing the miles/points and many airlines including BA, SQ etc do not upgrade passengers to fill the plane. They rather keep them empty to maintain the level of exclusivity to those cabins.

If OP has to use his avios I suggest looking at other options like different routing, flying out from a different airport in India etc
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

I do pretty well out of BAEC through planning in advance and having rather a lot of benefits to throw around, i.e. a fair number of Avios, Jokers, GUFs etc. But my expectations are very realistic. Possibly even pessimistic at times.

Now as for M&M, I have yet to spend anything from it, as I cannot find an upgrade seat (J to F), and I'm a SEN. Oh dear. Not that I'm particularly worried about it to be honest, though.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes, plus those who have no say in the matter. They tend to be the grumpy ones.
I think with all airlines/Hotels the service levels received is always YMMV. The staff are also human and they have their own mood swings

The other reason to be loyal to airline or hotel could be that the other available options are worse, so you start with the best at that point in time. I started with BA because it was preferred airline to travel from US to Europe for my work and my alternative was US based airlines. Few years down the road things change but now that you have tasted the upgrades, premium service, lounges etc and with a huge miles/points balance and status you continue to be loyal even if you think you should switch

I am not sure what OP calls rude and I guess with out knowing details it is hard to say one way or other.

My experience with BA is all staff (inflight, lounge staff, check-in staff, phone staff etc) are usually professional and friendly except that the lounge guardians are usually professional but very unfriendly and sometimes sound rude as well
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
To the OP, may be consider the numbers to see where your loyalty fits in the greater picture of BAEC? What are there? 70,000 GCH? Silver is not to be sniffed at, but while you may be the only silver on your street, it is not an uncommon status generally. If the folks here who are CCR's don't testify to special treatment (and as a GCH I can't either), I think you get the picture.

BAEC is like living here in Los Angeles. It doesn't matter how much $$$ (avios) you have, someone always has more.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.