Shabby reward for loyalty!!

Old Feb 19, 14, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Angry Shabby reward for loyalty!!

As a Silver Tier member of the Executive Club, my experience with the India office of the program has been less than satisfactory.

One reason for loyalty is the possibility of getting upgrades. I have purchased several upgrade-eligible Premium Economy tickets a long while ago with the hope that there will be seats for an upgrade, but the Club people keep fobbing me off saying they will first see if they can sell tickets in Business Class and only then entertain upgrade requests. So having tons of Avios in my account does not help!! Even now, I have been kept on hold, waiting for upgrades in three PNRs.

This is ridiculous, and totally opposite of what other programs like Miles and More do. In my experience, if I have an upgradable economy ticket and enough miles, straightaway I get an upgrade.

I am bot sure if this is a global Brirish Airways policy or whether only the India office treats its frequent fliers this shabbily.

In the past, I have had experience with rude customer care executives and there seems to be no opportunity to appeal.

I am now seriously thinking of switching my loyalties.
Old Feb 19, 14, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by vjha View Post
As a Silver Tier member of the Executive Club, my experience with the India office of the program has been less than satisfactory.

One reason for loyalty is the possibility of getting upgrades. I have purchased several upgrade-eligible Premium Economy tickets a long while ago with the hope that there will be seats for an upgrade, but the Club people keep fobbing me off saying they will first see if they can sell tickets in Business Class and only then entertain upgrade requests. So having tons of Avios in my account does not help!! Even now, I have been kept on hold, waiting for upgrades in three PNRs.

This is ridiculous, and totally opposite of what other programs like Miles and More do. In my experience, if I have an upgradable economy ticket and enough miles, straightaway I get an upgrade.

I am bot sure if this is a global Brirish Airways policy or whether only the India office treats its frequent fliers this shabbily.

In the past, I have had experience with rude customer care executives and there seems to be no opportunity to appeal.

There is no excuse for rudeness at all, but other than that what you have described seems fairly standard to me for all airlines, even if it is slightly annoying from your perspective. The airlines will first want to see if they can book revenue on the seats- I suppose it's a bit like seat availability for redemptions. Just because you have the Avios does not mean you will be able to get a redemption ticket on the flight that you want to be on. Again, I think this is the way it is with most airlines.
Old Feb 19, 14, 5:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Le Club Accor Silver, Hertz 5 Star
BA is actually different from other airlines in that they will let flights go out with empty seats in premium classes, even when there are people on the flight who would like to upgrade with Avios. AA, for example, clears these upgrades at the gate, before departure, but BA lets them go out empty. So it is not quite the same as many other airlinesÖ
Old Feb 19, 14, 5:53 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
It's exactly that, unfortunately, a "hope". A possibility only, as you say.

Buying tickets with the expectation that you will be able to upgrade with your Avios on demand is almost certain to lead to disappointment.
Old Feb 19, 14, 5:54 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
Cheerio.
Old Feb 19, 14, 5:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by V10 View Post

Buying tickets with the expectation that you will be able to upgrade with your Avios on demand is almost certain to lead to disappointment.
Even GGLs don't and should not have that expectation, despite the joker - no guarantee of availability.

Frustrating for many, but it's what the frequent flyer scheme is like.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 19, 14 at 6:16 am
Old Feb 19, 14, 5:56 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeBOS View Post
BA is actually different from other airlines in that they will let flights go out with empty seats in premium classes, even when there are people on the flight who would like to upgrade with Avios. AA, for example, clears these upgrades at the gate, before departure, but BA lets them go out empty. So it is not quite the same as many other airlinesÖ
I'd say it's the US-based airlines that are different in this regard. All non-US carriers I know of will not think twice about not using all seats in the premium cabins.

As for the OP, if you want to sit in a premium cabin, book it to begin with. Upgrades are NEVER a right/guarantee/whatever.

You should also note that BA usually releases upgrade inventory just a day or so before a flight, so keep checking on your flights and you might get lucky.
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:02 am
V10

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Even GGLs don't and should not have that expectation, despite the joker - no guarantee of availability.
Indeed not and I wouldn't suggest that for a moment. Although if they're achieving GGL status on the back of routinely buying WT+ tickets they deserve any upgrades they can get.
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
As others have said - BA will send planes out with empty premium cabins rather than create a culture of instant upgrades - it means they have a higher chance of someone buying a premium ticket in the first place rather than buying WT+ and expecting to be upgraded.
Their strategy works on me personally - if there is no club award availability at the time of booking then i will pay for my ticket as i would prefer knowing i have a decent flight in comfort on a flat bed.
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:08 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Blimey you lot - the poor bloke's second post, eight years after his first, and he gets this tirade!

Honestly, the man on the Clapham omnibus could be forgiven for thinking that upgrades were straightforward, given the right underlying ticket and enough avios...

as Terence would sing, 'let [him] down easy'...
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:09 am

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
.... but the Club people keep fobbing me off saying they will first see if they can sell tickets in Business Class and only then entertain upgrade requests. ...
Disgraceful - how dare they put making money before giving out freebies
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can of course monitor your Upgrade using Avios potential by checking it online rather than calling the Service Centre. Just try doing a dummy booking for a Club World redemption, and if you see one then ring the Service Centre, any Service Centre, straight away. UuA is often available in the last 2 weeks before departure, even on the day of departure.
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:43 am
V10

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
Blimey you lot - the poor bloke's second post, eight years after his first, and he gets this tirade!

Honestly, the man on the Clapham omnibus could be forgiven for thinking that upgrades were straightforward, given the right underlying ticket and enough avios...

as Terence would sing, 'let [him] down easy'...
I've got a bit of sympathy for that viewpoint given the positive spin that will be put on these things by the marketing departments.

However there is limited availability (and no secret is made of this) and a set of goalposts that is purposefully kept moving. We can all win or lose regardless of tier or which BA office we deal with. Suggesting otherwise just doesn't represent the reality of the situation.

Rudeness, when encountered, should of course not be excused. However, I'm not sure what instances of rudeness are present in this particular case other than the OP not getting the answer that they are wanting to hear.
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So having tons of Avios in my account does not help!!
Please join a very large club: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-so-high.html
Old Feb 19, 14, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think BA are right on the money with their award availability. Look hard enough and seats are there as a reward, not as a given right.

I always look at UUA as a bonus.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: