Wiki Posts
Search

The BA boarding process

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
LX has this at some gates in GVA. *G gets boarded manually first and once they are all clear, the electronic gates are opened for the unwashed masses.
I have seen the gates used for SEN and C Passengers in GVA at the D Gates I think. It worked pretty well. If you can't get actual people to do this properly then an electronic solution is a pretty good idea I think.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I have seen the gates used for SEN and C Passengers in GVA at the D Gates I think. It worked pretty well. If you can't get actual people to do this properly then an electronic solution is a pretty good idea I think.
Yes they are only at some gates in the main terminal, i.e. not in the B gates where the London flights go from. And I would agree that it does seem to work quite well, though to be fair I don't actually ever have to use them….

Last edited by Captain Schmidt; Jan 28, 2014 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Personally, I think priority boarding should be called in a prioritised order, that being:
  1. First
  2. Business and Gold members (and equivalent OW)
  3. WT+ and Silver/Bronze members (and equivalent OW)
  4. WT
That's the only fair way of doing it.

With an extra category right at the top for me and my mrs.
You're forgetting GodAtum.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
Best way to fix the problem, is to stop priority boarding. And go back to basics, first come first boarded. A Q is a Q, stand and wait your turn. It,s not difficult !
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
While I agree that the order system is suitable, the issue is that many premier travellers remain in the lounge up until told to leave, and you can't expect economy passengers to wait for them to waltz along!
That's the thing - the gate agents start the process when they are ready. If you miss your gold slot, you join the back of the bronze section!

Someone mentioned cost...this wouldn't cost anything. They already have two people (minimum)...they just need to take the BP and look at it and turn them away before scanning it. It wouldn't take that long for folks to catch on not to be in the wrong queue!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saintjon
That's the thing - the gate agents start the process when they are ready. If you miss your gold slot, you join the back of the bronze section!

Someone mentioned cost...this wouldn't cost anything. They already have two people (minimum)...they just need to take the BP and look at it and turn them away before scanning it. It wouldn't take that long for folks to catch on not to be in the wrong queue!
Indeed, you basically just join the next slot if you get there after your slot has been called. In an ideal world you would have a display showing what the boarding status is too (so which group is boarding). I find this happens a fair bit on AA flights where Mrs LoM and I can be the only people boarding in F at the first call.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC,Avis Preferred. Hilton Silver, Tesco Super Dooper Platinum.
Originally Posted by GodAtum
This will make me sound like a ***hole but I ask people in the fasttrack queue if they are Golds or travelling in F. if they are not I skip past them (as I have a F ticket).
And if the person replies" Mind your own business" do you still skip past them?

Originally Posted by ClubClassCowboy
Also - anyone attempting to board a narrow-body aircraft wearing a backpack should be denied boarding and banned from flying for life.
How many people on that plane would have being even aware they were going to be on a "narrow-body aircraft" or even heard the term before ?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by BA6501
Quote:

Also - anyone attempting to board a narrow-body aircraft wearing a backpack should be denied boarding and banned from flying for life.

Why?
Because they take an age wiggling around and smacking it into my face trying to get it off and stowed.

Maybe I have that sort of face.

Seriously though - US boarding is nearly always quick and straightforward. People tend to know the rules and obey.

I think the trouble with being British is we think the boarding priority should be me first, then everyone else.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
I think the trouble with being British is we think the boarding priority should be me first, then everyone else.
And what is wrong with that? I should be first - DYKWIA?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Looks to me that many of the priority boarding issues come from the design and logistics of the departing terminal. Over at T5C for these a380 flights, and T5B for 747's there is just no room for everyone to wait. Gate lice by default. So, F's and Gold's, CW's and Silver's have no choice but to deal with the scrum. Even well announced (and even adhered to Boarding instructions) are impossible when there is no where to go and stand and hear the announcements. You need to space for folks to work out where to go. I'll give BA a pass here and lay the blame with BAA.

My opinion is that the only way to maintain a premium boarding experience is segregation. But in T5 that is impossible without either separately driving F's to the plane, a la LH, or someone from the lounge leading a merry band of premiums from the lounge to the plane, a la VA at LAX. A sight to behold as we all follow some lady in VS kit ploughing her way through the lice through to the gate. But these ideas are impossible at T5 and it seems that I am in the segregation minority as it applies to the BA powers that be.

But agreed, adding Bronze to priority boarding has taken a bad state of affairs and made it worse.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Quote:

And what is wrong with that? I should be first - DYKWIA?
That's a whole other thread
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't the problem with the current approach that there is one announcement which people hear as "if you think you are important up you come now" rather than being much more specific and targeted?

Add that to the fact that the gate staff often board the other passengers in parallel rather than waiting for those entitled to fast track to board first.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Add that to the fact that the gate staff often board the other passengers in parallel rather than waiting for those entitled to fast track to board first.
That's absolutely part of the issue. If they used all the gate staff to clear the priority boarding first then I think most of us would be happier.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
BA need to simplify/enhance the process, I suggest

- Royalty
- Absolute dictators
- Elected heads of states
- UK government ministers
- Foreign government ministers
- MPs
- MEPs
- Local council CEOs (town clerks)
- First class
- Business class
- GGL
- GCH
- SCH
- People with double-barrelled names
- Penguins
- Bronze card holders
- Smelly people
- All other humans
- B List celebs
- Man Utd fans
- dogs and cats

That should do it.

Or they could outsource the process to Ryanair.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Because they seem to have a genetic predisposition to swing from side to side while they check every row number through to row 22, thereby inadvertently crushing said backpack into the spectacles of alternating aisle passengers all the way down.
Look for me on tomorrow morning's BHD flight. I'll try not to swing my backpack as I walk all the way down to 1A.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I know some people like to settle down and get relaxed before the hoardes start rampaging on board down the back, but it really doesn't make sense at T5 if you are in First, CE and CW. With very few exceptions you are unlikely to have luggage issues (and if you did, they would be caused before any boarding....).

The way T5 works is that they can't close boarding before T-20. So if you sail in at T-22 you'll find an empty gate on longhaul (and sometimes shorthaul too), and you can walk in unimpeded. You simply time your departure from the lounge accordingly. You can get to any T5A gate within 6 minutes from the Concorde Room, 13 minutes for T5B and 16 minutes to T5C.

If you turn up early, you just add to Sheer Weight Of Traffic (SWOT), which is often re-intepreted as "everyone but me".
Is great, until you arrive at the gate at T-22 (I tend to go for T-20m30s ) to find boarding hasn't even started.

When it does start, good agents board fast track via both lines. Bad agents board both lines together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.