Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I interviewed with BA this week

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I get both "sides" of what people are trying to say here but I went for an interview last year and was told I was "pipped at the post" so im on the reserve list and when the next position comes up (no date given) the job wont be advertised its mine.

I took some consolation that I cant have been that bad and I must have been alright in the interview but still slightly disappointed. Don't worry though i was told we have your number and rest assured we will call you, if we had the budget we would hire you right now etc etc. Received this "promise" in writing as I trust no one in my job.

Then last month I find the exact same job in the same dept was advertised. I rung our HR and asked what the hell was going on. I even spoke to the same guy who sent me the "promise" by email, he recalled and explained it cant be the same job must be a mistake. It wasn't. He and the HR dept couldn't care less and suggest I might try "begging". I could complain if I wanted to but didn't.

I took a while to gather my thoughts rung back and said I wasn't to get beg for any job and I don't want it now. That might have cut off my nose and will be the end of my career in that dept but I walked away. I would have been on the exactly the same pay so no drop in income.

The moral of my tale is sometimes its just not meant to be, doesn't mean your wrong and every interview is a learning experience. Take away the positives you think you did well at, work on what you can improve and try again elsewhere.

I've been looking again at a different career now but I find it weird when adverts don't specify a salary (No im not looking at senior mgt/MD roles)....just my two pence worth.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by rxfleming
I worked for Vodafone for 3 years, and my whole department was outsourced while I was there. 1 year later, we moved everything back in house following a management change; Service standards slipped, deliverables were not met, and a culture of laziness was incurred due to the outsourcing. The question was based on a 'tell me a time' and from there, the discussion developed.

The question asked of me was 'If you were CEO for a day, what would you do and why'. I based my response on areas where I, as a customer (and I acknowledged this) would like to see improvements, and where as a manager, I could assist in delivering this. I also discussed other things such as alignment of Vueling into IAG; using 787 for longer more commercially viable routes in the USA, and the economical cost of not being in Asia or South America.

I did not just simply answer a question as an armchair flyertalker, and I certainly come from experience, not just a bloody walk-out-of-uni graduate.

The reason I removed my application was because of the way I was spoken TO during the interview. Saying I was negative, despite giving a clear structure behind my response was not welcome. That is not a company I want to work for.
By adding some more perspective to your interview your initial approach makes a little more sense, whereas the OP came across from my perspective as a rather negative approach.
It did not seem to me that this was a job that you were really interested in getting and using as interview experience and from that standpoint would appear a success
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Bit of a non-sequitur there, I'm afraid. A first round screening interview with a set script done by an HR consultant doesn't give a very good opportunity to understand the corporate culture. That's how HR departments consistently behave. Apologies if I've offended you - I suspect you work in HR?

Interviews with people you'll actually end up working for will provide a much more decent insight into a corporate culture than HR ever will.
No offense taken. I don't disagree that HR is a department often staffed by drones; in fact, I'd usually say that's a good thing. In past careers, I've sat on hiring committees of companies I've worked at, and consulted for HR departments for companies spanning various industries and the whole gamut of sizes. That's where my experience regarding HR comes from.

Nevertheless, you're completely wrong on the issue of corporate culture not being demonstrated in initial screening interviews. As I mentioned in my last post, the initial screening interviews are revealing about corporate culture precisely because they are the most consistent and scripted. The fact that HR typically uses set scripts at this level is a point on which we agree and which supports my argument. The execs and operational leaders tell HR exactly what they want to screen for, and that reveals a lot about the corporation.

Of course a lot about corporate culture can be discovered from the people doing the work. No one has suggested otherwise. But to say that an applicant can derive nothing about corporate culture from the initial interview is completely untrue.

BTW, in such a large company, rarely will interviews for these lower-level positions ever occur with people you will ever even see again.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by markzz2
Absolutely. I wish you had gone in and been in "interview" mode rather than "disappointed" customer mode. Then you could have worked to improve the product from a customer point of view rather than just a cost perspective.
Unless youre extremely high up in an organisation and able to influence strategy, dream on.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Truth hurts.

The reality of BA contracting out baggage handling at Gatwick with wait times of over an hour for short haul is a very good example of where things have got considerably worse for the customer.
When easy jet have better ground handling and delivery times it speaks volumes.

Shame you have to be at a senior management level before much notice is taken in some organisations.

Good luck to the op... I would suggest a company more like google....
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by gengar
The execs and operational leaders tell HR exactly what they want to screen for, and that reveals a lot about the corporation.
No.

The business attempt to write down what they want. The hr group attempts to interpret that. The hr group then adds various meaningless phrases into the job requirements to give leverage in salary negotiations. In the end you get disappointed people in the business, and in the marketplace.

Same thing happens in technology, hence you get massive failures in outsourced system development because the developers are working to a spec that's been filtered through 15 pen pushers, and have no idea about what the business actually needs.

You also get requirements for 5 years experience of writing iPad apps

I've seen what hr do to job descriptions, and on the (fortunately) rare times I have to employ someone I find a candidate I want first and tell them to ignore the hr bollocks.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:55 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by rxfleming
So. I had an interview with BA this week for their Leaders for Business Graduate Scheme.

I had high hopes but after meeting some people in the HR recruitment team I decided to withdraw my application.

One thing that stood out - when mentioning improvements I discussed the constant cost cutting and outsourcing of products. I explained that it is my firm belief that outsourcing is bad for the brand and is ruining customer loyalty, and that on ground and in air products are risking being degraded as a result. They said that my opinion was "a bit too aggressive" for a job interview and negative comments were not seen as conductive for a job interview. I poked a bit more at this but won't go into much more detail as it was rather ridiculous how I was made to feel.

From the reminder interview I got the impressions they want people who will save the company money at any expense to their brand. The questions were largely based around making savings and looking for ways to improve efficiency with the same budgets. I'm all for it - but not when the savings are degrading the brand. And I stood by my statement.

I withdrew my application the same day.

If this is the attitude of people recruiting at BA for their future managers then god help us.
Dissapointed to read your post. You wouldn't accept that they were looking for people to do what they wanted rather than what the applicant wanted and you therefore missed the opportunity to be considered for a job in a company many of us still admire despite it's faults. What they are doing - sometimes it seems in a cack-handed way is to survive and improve.

Contracting out is an astute business thing to do. There is nothing wrong with the philosphy. What is wrong is when the contract isn't properly managed. That is the problem.

If you are seeking to impose your vision over the vision of the companies you apply for jobs at I fear you are going to find it difficult to find a job with a well-organised company as you make yourself appear to be difficult to employ from what you have said in the post.

Good luck.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
The reality of BA contracting out baggage handling at Gatwick with wait times of over an hour for short haul is a very good example of where things have got considerably worse for the customer.
That's great, but it's not a problem with contracting out/outsourcing. It's a problem with the quality of work that the staff is doing.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I used to sit on an interview panel from time to time.

The consensus amongst the panel was not to hire anyone who came across as being smarter than us.
I have read innumerable articles about great businesspeople (mostly US). They almost always say, when asked about what contributed to their success, "I always tried as hard as I could to hire and retain people smarter that I."

I don't think that's a meaningless sentiment.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:32 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I have read innumerable articles about great businesspeople (mostly US). They almost always say, when asked about what contributed to their success, "I always tried as hard as I could to hire and retain people smarter that I."

I don't think that's a meaningless sentiment.
Not one type of personality fits all roles. I don't think that is a meaningless sentiment either.

There is the world of difference between an entrepreneur looking for people to help grow his / her business and an established company seeking people to follow instructions and be creative only once they have understood the challenges from the inside. People that think they know the answer before understanding the problem are normally liabilities.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poxball

You mean you work for a company that has a strategy to make profit in the future as well? How novel

BA has a strategy to make a profit in both the present and future. Much that I wish it was different I think it is the right strategy. You can offer the finest product in the world that is well reviewed critically and universally respected but if only a handful of people will pay for it then it is a poor business strategy.

Whilst I think that BA is probably following the best course to remain a profitable business, I do think that the execution is simplistic and somewhat stupidly short sighted. More could be done to make things better without spending a penny extra. If only FVdP had complete authority here to sign off everything customer impacting (or complete authority to reject) I would feel more comfortable in blaming him, but I fear he doesn't have this degree of control.
You can also reduce your cost base to a point where your product is such rubbish that sales are reduced to a shadow of former levels and your business is much smaller. So profit margin up but on much lower sales volume. Bad news all round.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by uk1

Not one type of personality fits all roles. I don't think that is a meaningless sentiment either.

There is the world of difference between an entrepreneur looking for people to help grow his / her business and an established company seeking people to follow instructions and be creative only once they have understood the challenges from the inside. People that think they know the answer before understanding the problem are normally liabilities.
This. Absolutely. I want smart, intelligent people working for me, but somebody who comes in for an interview who thinks they know everything about what my organization does without having any experience with it sets off alarm bells immediately. Unless you're being hired to be the CEO, you're going to have to follow somebody's orders, and an interviewer can easily interpret the OP's approach as putting him in the category of folks who simply won't follow any orders.

I agree that's an oversimplification, but when you're interviewing a lot of candidates, snap judgments tend to be controlling.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by paulwuk
No.

The business attempt to write down what they want. The hr group attempts to interpret that. The hr group then adds various meaningless phrases into the job requirements...
Didn't realize that we were talking at all about written job requirements.

Sorry you work for a company that has such a lousy HR department.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:15 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
This. Absolutely. I want smart, intelligent people working for me, but somebody who comes in for an interview who thinks they know everything about what my organization does without having any experience with it sets off alarm bells immediately. Unless you're being hired to be the CEO, you're going to have to follow somebody's orders, and an interviewer can easily interpret the OP's approach as putting him in the category of folks who simply won't follow any orders.

I agree that's an oversimplification, but when you're interviewing a lot of candidates, snap judgments tend to be controlling.
I recently helped a client understand that the skills he had in being a serial entrepreneur were entirely different from those required to manage a business once he had established it. It was tough for him to let go and I helped release him from the drudgery of running a business back to doing wht he was good at ie being an opportunist and starting things.

My interviewing of people when I was employed and then for my own company was always hit and miss until I discovered behavioral interviewing approach which improved my success rate. It is worth a google if you are interested in such things. It is a highly predictive way of finding whether a candidate is likely to behave in the way you are seeking. The contra-evidence approach is particularly illuminating in interviews.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I disagree, I think BA is choosing not to compete with the Middle Eastern airlines because BA cannot match their cost structure.

I think there are 2 approaches which might be viable in the long term.

a) Pitch for the higher ground, stress service and try to make BA the first choice through consistent service, a high quality product, best seats etc.

b) Focus upon cost control, striving for the best level of service possible at a given budget and make a virtue out of a virtual monopoly on slots at a busy airport with substantial O&D traffic.

Arguably a) was the strategy in the late 90's which led yo thumping losses. B) is the current strategy and responsible for consistent profits.

Whilst all hotel guests would prefer to stay in a 4 Seasons many, many more are happy to pay only for a Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza. Whilst to a certain extent the Middle Eastern and some Asian carriers can square the cost VS. quality circle, this is entirely down to certain natural advantages and cost structures. BA cannot compete on these terms.

Cost focus doesn't have to mean product evisceration though, that is where I think BA gets it wrong. This happens because managers don't fly on competitors and don't have any kind of gut feel for what customers really want.

BA is run effectively by a large group of individuals who have never had a job beyond BA as they were recruited as young graduates. This is a massive handicap, there should be much more lateral hiring especially from those who have experience of both service delivery and of receiving the services being delivered. There is some sign this is starting to happen at senior levels (e.g. FVdP) but if all their direct reports are BA lifers execution will blunt strategic intent.
But within your post I believe you are concurring with my thesis.

"B) is the current strategy and responsible for consistent profits."
This is true at the moment and in this part of the cycle. BA is making hay with what they have and good luck to them.

"Cost focus doesn't have to mean product evisceration though, that is where I think BA gets it wrong. This happens because managers don't fly on competitors and don't have any kind of gut feel for what customers really want."

Managers don't fly on competitors but customers do. When the inevitable turn down happens BA will be left with an eviscerated product as you put it. Under-invested and underwhelming. It will have its monopoly to cushion the competition but when the alternatives will have cheaper, better products pax will move their spending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.