Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting upper deck on 747

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
In 2012 I was still new to BAEC and just a blue member. Thanks to the Summer sale I was sitting in F on a 747 to the US.

Asked the FA in F if it was OK to do a little sightseeing. Climbed upstairs and had a peek from the galley. Went back down and wandered through WT+ to the LD CW cabin.

Barely made it past the curtain before I was chased back by a stern CW FA. Never had a chance to inspect steering.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Asked the FA in F if it was OK to do a little sightseeing. Climbed upstairs and had a peek from the galley. Went back down and wandered through WT+ to the LD CW cabin.

Barely made it past the curtain before I was chased back by a stern CW FA. Never had a chance to inspect steering.
Really, that is unusual. I though the rule/custom was you could always wander around your our cabin and anything behind, you just couldn't go forward or to the UD. Usually when I am in CW I gofor a stroll after meal service and do a lap, all the way to the back and up the other aisle crossing back at a galley near my seat. Never been chased back to CW from WT+ or WT before.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by jm62
I am going to be flying in F on a 747 for my first time. If I ask nicely to the flight attendants will they let me walk up to the upper deck just to look around. Not wanting to sit up there, just more of a curiosity and say I have been up there.
The correct etiquette is to march heavily up and down the cabin exclaiming in a loud voice "Gosh, aren't these seats SO much smaller than those in first class."
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I've perhaps inappropriately and smacking a little of DYKWIA, adopted a view of being entitled to walk around the plane through lower class cabins than the one I'm flying in but have never sought to walk through a higher class cabin. F in my own little world entitles me to walk through all cabins and I often take a walk around the plane on a long flight. I've never been stopped walking towards the back but have on occasion been challenged when walking back to the front. It's gratifying when the cabin crew say 'I'm sorry sir but that's Club through there' to be able to say, 'That's alright, I'm on my way back to First'.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
Really, that is unusual. I though the rule/custom was you could always wander around your our cabin and anything behind, you just couldn't go forward or to the UD. Usually when I am in CW I gofor a stroll after meal service and do a lap, all the way to the back and up the other aisle crossing back at a galley near my seat. Never been chased back to CW from WT+ or WT before.
That was a 747 where the lower deck had F, WT+, CW, WT - in that order. So when I entered CW I guess they assumed that I was sitting in WT+. Didn't bother to correct that impression.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
That was a 747 where the lower deck had F, WT+, CW, WT - in that order. So when I entered CW I guess they assumed that I was sitting in WT+. Didn't bother to correct that impression.
Ah, of course that makes sense. Good to see they were being pro-active in ensuring WT+ passemgers don't wander towards the club kitchen or in to the CW, even though in your case they did realise you were in F.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Last spring Mrs. greg5 and I were on the main deck in the forward CW cabin and I told her to go up and have a quick look at the UD. The load on the flight was pretty light, with the forward CW cabin more than half empty. CC let her go up for a quick look and she enjoyed going up there. I had been in 64B on my previous CW flight.

Other than that I think I might have been to the UD in a -100 when I was quite young on a family day in Everett.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.