Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
    Got the Admiral offer on my BA Amex but not the Harvey Nics one.

Hoping for a repeat of that Christmas 2012 spend £25 get £25 statement credit in Harvey Nics but some how I cant see that happening again...
    Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by tigertanaka
    Hoping for a repeat of that Christmas 2012 spend £25 get £25 statement credit in Harvey Nics but some how I cant see that happening again...
    I trust you treated Kissy Suzuki?
    Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: BA
    Spoke to AMEX about upgrading from standard BA card to Premium, they offered 5k avios which they increased to 10k after I queried it. Also spend to date carried over to new card for the companion voucher. Sadly the annual fee (which is reduced to £0 for the first year for new cardholders) remains.
    Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:27 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
    I am sure these have been asked plenty of times but having gone through quite a few pages I can't find the answer.

1. I have two vouchers in my account so can I earn a 3rd one too?
    2. If I cancel my PP card will the vouchers stay in my EC?
    3. Is Gold Amex and PP Amex treated separately for new card bonuses? Can I apply for both at the same time in 6 months time.
    4. UK based question. Does closing and opening CC's spoil your credit score in anyway?
    Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:29 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by onlysuites
    1. I have two vouchers in my account so can I earn a 3rd one too?
    Yes. If you have a PP card, it is possible to hold three 2-4-1 vouchers at once.

However, if you're thinking of spending more than one voucher at once, you can still only spend two at once so that four people travel together for the Avios price for two. You can't spend the third voucher at the same time because you're already travelling with the other three companions, and you would have to be one of the travellers on the third voucher.
    Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:02 pm

3. Is Gold Amex and PP Amex treated separately for new card bonuses? Can I apply for both at the same time in 6 months time.
    4. UK based question. Does closing and opening CC's spoil your credit score in anyway?
    3. Yes they are treated separately. Generally you can hold 2 charge cards and 2 credit cards at the same time. At he moment I have both the Platinum Card and the BA card

4. Finance companies will be looking at things like the age of the debt you have and the ability to service it. That being said I try not to apply for too many cards at the same time or within a short period of time. My BA card has a permanent spot in my wallet. I tend to churn the Starwood and charge cards over the course of a year
    Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:23 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
    Yes. If you have a PP card, it is possible to hold three 2-4-1 vouchers at once.

However, if you're thinking of spending more than one voucher at once, you can still only spend two at once so that four people travel together for the Avios price for two. You can't spend the third voucher at the same time because you're already travelling with the other three companions, and you would have to be one of the travellers on the third voucher.
    Thank you ^

Originally Posted by williemaykit
    3. Yes they are treated separately. Generally you can hold 2 charge cards and 2 credit cards at the same time. At he moment I have both the Platinum Card and the BA card

4. Finance companies will be looking at things like the age of the debt you have and the ability to service it. That being said I try not to apply for too many cards at the same time or within a short period of time. My BA card has a permanent spot in my wallet. I tend to churn the Starwood and charge cards over the course of a year
    And thank you ^

Can anyone help with this last question?

Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
    Thank you ^

And thank you ^

Can anyone help with this last question?

Yes, although many would suggest downgrading to the basic BA AMEX which is fee-free.
    Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:22 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zat_dude
    Yes, although many would suggest downgrading to the basic BA AMEX which is fee-free.
    Yes but then when I sign up again sometime next year once I have used up my 2 vouchers I won't get a sign up bonus right?
    Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
    Originally Posted by flyingManc
    Sadly the annual fee (which is reduced to £0 for the first year for new cardholders) remains.
    The BAPP annual fee is not reduced for new cardholders, as far as I know.
    Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Yes but then when I sign up again sometime next year once I have used up my 2 vouchers I won't get a sign up bonus right?
    You need to have a 6 month break from any BA card to get the sign up bonus.

Amex say if you cancel your card you will lose any companion vouchers, but this is not true. The downgrade to a free card will guarantee that you don't lose the vouchers, but people have cancelled with no issue.
    Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:25 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by parklife
    You need to have a 6 month break from any BA card to get the sign up bonus.

Amex say if you cancel your card you will lose any companion vouchers, but this is not true. The downgrade to a free card will guarantee that you don't lose the vouchers, but people have cancelled with no issue.
    Thank you. ^
    Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
    Originally Posted by Raffles
    But they will on a Curve card ......
    Cashback on Curve does not work anywhere... I tested it across all supermarkets, this was after advanced KYC and the options being turned on their end.
    Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:27 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Originally Posted by smala01
    Cashback on Curve does not work anywhere... I tested it across all supermarkets, this was after advanced KYC and the options being turned on their end.
    Odd. I was told otherwise by someone who said he was doing nicely from it.
    Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
    If I use a 241 from INV, can my wife begin the trip on the second sector - i.e. join me at LHR? It would make a redemption to the US £367.50pp - about £230 less than from LHR. If I had time, it would be well worth the 4k Avios (one way) and £17.50 to get up to INV for a B2B (which looks idiot proof?).

If I booked INV-LHR-XXX-LHR as opposed to returning the INV, would the saving be the same? If not, I'm assuming the last sector could be dropped if HBO or an overnight is forced at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.