Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any way to avoid APD when transiting via LHR (two tickets)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any way to avoid APD when transiting via LHR (two tickets)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
One ticket booked on BA, operated by BA: AAA-LHR-AAA

Two tickets LHR-BBB and BBB-LHR, both booked and operated by BA.

BA rep was able to create a single conjunction ticket AAA-LHR-BBB-LHR-AAA.
On one PNR?

Reply...with care. If you say yes, EVERYBODY is going to know exactly how you did this, and how they can do it too!
Old May 24, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

BA rep was able to create a single conjunction ticket AAA-LHR-BBB-LHR-AAA. She agreed with my reasoning to claim APD refund, she couldn't get a refund on the spot, but helped me to start the claim. This is day 1, so I'll keep you all posted.

On another ticket, she notated (but didn't officially put them together) that I'm coming from another country on another airline and connect thru LHR.
I guess our question is more whether conjunction ticket is meant literally here or not. That would typically involved reissued etix with consecutive numbers for instance and something frankly entirely unheard of at BA except on some fully flexible fully refundable tickets that allow reissue with end on end combination on multiple fares.

If not, then chances are that this is not really a conjunction ticket but rather that the PNRs were just cross-referenced (what people sometimes mistakenly call "linked") which sounds far more likely, and which would unfortunately have absolutely no value either in terms of either protecting your itinerary in case the flight from one itinerary is late and make you miss the second, or from the point of view of HMRC and APD refund.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Check out this thread which in turn has links to several others on this topic.

I have this exact situation coming up - landing on a Tues night on an F redemption, flying out Weds lunchtime on a J revenue ticket. I've corresponded with both HMRC and BA on this, and the consensus seems to be that BA should associate the two tickets by each referring to the other's PNR/timings in the notes (HMRC's definition of "conjoined" is actually pretty flexible and favourable to the traveller).

Then after the flight, I should be able to claim a reimbursement from BA, as according to HMRC, they shouldn't be charging it once they see me board the second plane within 24h of the first. They only account to HMRC in arrears, once travel has taken place anyway.

Given that my J ticket was one of those ex-US sale+AARP+Avios $800 jobs, clawing back the $200 in APD is a pretty material chunk of change!
Old May 25, 2016, 2:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
BA rep was able to create a single conjunction ticket AAA-LHR-BBB-LHR-AAA. She agreed with my reasoning to claim APD refund, she couldn't get a refund on the spot, but helped me to start the claim. This is day 1, so I'll keep you all posted.
So do you have one ticket now?

By BA rep, do you mean a phone agent?

Unless your existing tickets are cancelled and reissued, I think all that has been done is a TCP providing a reference to one from the other. This is not a conjunction ticket.

My tickets are ticketed through BA, but ex-LHR leg is operated by AA. I doubt it matters much since I assume AA will punt it to BA as AA had nothing to do with collection of taxes.

So are they all BA marketed, operated and ticketed? Or some are AA operated (and marketed/ticketed?)? And you mentioned SK further up?
Old May 25, 2016, 2:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by frb98mf
Then after the flight, I should be able to claim a reimbursement from BA, as according to HMRC, they shouldn't be charging it once they see me board the second plane within 24h of the first. They only account to HMRC in arrears, once travel has taken place anyway.

Given that my J ticket was one of those ex-US sale+AARP+Avios $800 jobs, clawing back the $200 in APD is a pretty material chunk of change!
I would not assume this is going to happen. You could perhaps get the ticket reissued to reflect the connection.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I find it disappointing that people are going out of their way, for their own personal gain, to find ways to deprive the British public of their rightful tax revenue.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I find it disappointing that people are going out of their way, for their own personal gain, to find ways to deprive the British public of their rightful tax revenue.
In fairness, APD is only intended to apply to UK originating itineraries (minus exceptions) so it does not shock me that people attempt to have self-organised connections treated as TA arranged connections. Whether this will work or not is another question.

Incidentally, part of the reason why I think it might not is that it would create a bit of a can of worm. It is not unusual for UK-based business people to have two trips within 24 hours of each other. If I'm back from the states at 8am on Monday and then have my next business trip at 7am on Tuesday, should all stops below 24 hours be treated as effective connections, I would be able to claim APD back on my second ticket which could ultimately result in a fairly significant revenue loss for the State.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Seriously???? HMRC takes FAR more than their fair share of my paycheck. I have no issue with people going through length's to not pay HMRC, especially when we're talking about money that they really shouldn't be entitled to and only get due to technical limitations and the like. Alas I work in a field which makes it pretty impossible for me to deprive them of any material share of what I owe then. But game on to those who can.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It's not "rightful tax revenue", HMRC themselves acknowledge that. APD does not apply to people transiting.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
I don't imagine the loss of tax revenue of a bunch of frequent flyers attempting to claim back tax that, in the letter of the law, they are owed will have any sort of significant effect on this great nation's state income.

The efforts of massive, enormously profitable, multinational corporations to avoid tax on an industrial scale, though.

*ducks, donning flame-retardant apparel for the remainder of this thread*
Old May 25, 2016, 4:30 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by armouredant
I don't imagine the loss of tax revenue of a bunch of frequent flyers attempting to claim back tax that, in the letter of the law, they are owed will have any sort of significant effect on this great nation's state income.
Unless on one ticket or a conjunction ticket (which is further defined and discussed ad nauseam in the threads linked above) no refund is due.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
It's not "rightful tax revenue", HMRC themselves acknowledge that. APD does not apply to people transiting.
How is it not rightful if it is due? You either meet the criteria for exemption or it is due. There is a term for attempting to avoid paying tax that is due.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
How is it not rightful if it is due? You either meet the criteria for exemption or it is due. There is a term for attempting to avoid paying tax that is due.
Rightful tax and tax due are two very different things.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Rightful tax and tax due are two very different things.
In what way?
Old May 25, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
You either meet the criteria for exemption or it is due. There is a term for attempting to avoid paying tax that is due.
But the OP is trying to show that he does meet the criteria for exemption. I'm not sure what the problem is - though I am sceptical it will work in his case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.