Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Quick question (hopefully!) - are JNB and CPT a 2-night stop over for crew or just 1 night? (i.e. crew landing on a Saturday morning would fly back Sunday night or Monday night?)

Pilot37
Stewie Mac is correct. Both JNB sand CPT are usually rostered as one local night for cabin crew. Occasionally in JNB, during the summer 747 operation, some crew members will get two nights, this is a result of the mix between Mid J and Super Hi J that operates the route so they’ll go out with one crew and back with a different one.
CPT also has some two night trips for CC during February/March I think where some days there is a third daily flight.
Flight crew always get 2 nights.
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Sigwx
In short the pilot flying the approach flies a go around if not stable by 1000ft above the ground. At a suitable point after 1000ft the landing pilot (who flew the entire flight up until the top of descent) will take over control again. This landing pilot may also fly a go around at a later stage. You can be on the ground and fly a missed approach just as long as reverse thrust has not been selected.
So there's a cruise pilot, an approach pilot, and a landing pilot (and maybe a takeoff pilot as well)? Is that just to divide up the workload/keep everybody up-to-date with their experience, so you don't get "but I always do the landing". (And is it the same for long/short haul, just out of interest?)
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
So there's a cruise pilot, an approach pilot, and a landing pilot (and maybe a takeoff pilot as well)? Is that just to divide up the workload/keep everybody up-to-date with their experience, so you don't get "but I always do the landing". (And is it the same for long/short haul, just out of interest?)
Its the same for SH and LH. The idea started when some types of approach were more limiting in the chances of having sufficient visual references for a landing. Such approaches as VOR or ADF or even ILS approaches with no auto-coupled option for the approach. The idea was that the handling pilot only flew for a Go-Around and the Landing pilot concentrated on gaining visual reference. It avoids a few seconds of the instrument to visual switch or transition, time which can be vital for a safe approach. The concept was then incorporated into the autoland operations, for the same reasons. Some operators, like BA, believe it provides a sound base for both pilots to be mentally “invested” in the approach, an issue for some after a long night out of bed can be wool gathering, especially if not really engaged in the approach. You can argue forever about that but, for BA pilots it is the SOP.

As to whose turn turn it is for landing on SH we tend to just do turn and turn about, unless there is an overriding reason for it to be a Captains Landing - Autoland or outside FOs wind limits. On LH it is a more nuanced issue, with only maybe 4 sectors per month as operating, rather than heavy pilot, recently can be more of a problem for FOs. Leave, illness etc can all lead to a required landing, which must be done every so often or you must do a simulator session. Simulators are best avoided when one is being scrutinised! They are fun for FTers less so for us.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I had meant to enquire in the CHS thread [slightly OT though it might have been], but what's the usual crew rotation for low-frequency long-hauls such as CHS? Would the Sunday crew merely stay in Charleston until the Thursday return, or would it be more usual to rotate to somewhere nearby and operate home from a different airport [anc vice-versa]?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We haven’t seen the trip descriptions yet but I would expect the crew to remain in CHS until the next flight.
etiene likes this.

Last edited by Can I help you; Oct 23, 2018 at 9:42 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse

Its the same for SH and LH. The idea started when some types of approach were more limiting in the chances of having sufficient visual references for a landing. Such approaches as VOR or ADF or even ILS approaches with no auto-coupled option for the approach. The idea was that the handling pilot only flew for a Go-Around and the Landing pilot concentrated on gaining visual reference. It avoids a few seconds of the instrument to visual switch or transition, time which can be vital for a safe approach. The concept was then incorporated into the autoland operations, for the same reasons. Some operators, like BA, believe it provides a sound base for both pilots to be mentally “invested” in the approach, an issue for some after a long night out of bed can be wool gathering, especially if not really engaged in the approach. You can argue forever about that but, for BA pilots it is the SOP.

As to whose turn turn it is for landing on SH we tend to just do turn and turn about, unless there is an overriding reason for it to be a Captains Landing - Autoland or outside FOs wind limits. On LH it is a more nuanced issue, with only maybe 4 sectors per month as operating, rather than heavy pilot, recently can be more of a problem for FOs. Leave, illness etc can all lead to a required landing, which must be done every so often or you must do a simulator session. Simulators are best avoided when one is being scrutinised! They are fun for FTers less so for us.
There was also a tendency if 1 pilot was flying the approach and looking up to gain visual reference, to go low on the glide path when visual reference was gained. The famous last minute push which this procedure helps mitigate against.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Waterhorse

As others have alluded to the last point at which you can reject the landing is the choice whether or not to select reverse thrust. Until this point the landing can be thrown away and you can go back up. the decision is usually made before main wheel touchdown. If a float happens, and it does sometimes, especially in tailwinds then there is a physical point on any runway where the mainwheels must be on the ground - its an area called the touchdown zone. Outside the touchdown zone, then you must go-around. You can see though, that in such a float the thrust will be off, so the decision tom go-around can be made and while engine thrust is building a touchdown may occur, it would be very, very, unwise at this stage not to go around and instead to try to land. You can be on the ground yet not safe to continue the landing manoeuvre. It serves no-one well to slide off the end of the runway.
That's pretty much what happened with the EK 777 at DXB IIRC. Unfortunately, the wheels on the ground meant the crew messed up the go around...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I've got a question about how crewing for rescue flights works.

An MCO-LGW was diverted to JFK earlier this week, arriving at about 3 am. About 6 hours later, an aircraft was positioned from LHR to JFK to rescue those passengers, and departed JFK for LGW after about 5 hours on the ground.

Presumably the situation could be different in every situation, but in this one: from where would the crew operating JFK-LGW have been drawn? Would it have been a crew also sent out on the positioning flight, or would it have had to have been a crew that was already in NYC? (I'm presuming that after operating LHR-JFK, no crew could legally have operated JFK-LGW that soon.)
lavajava likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's pretty much what happened with the EK 777 at DXB IIRC. Unfortunately, the wheels on the ground meant the crew messed up the go around...
Wheels on the ground should not make a difference provided that reverse had not been selected
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I've got a question about how crewing for rescue flights works.

An MCO-LGW was diverted to JFK earlier this week, arriving at about 3 am. About 6 hours later, an aircraft was positioned from LHR to JFK to rescue those passengers, and departed JFK for LGW after about 5 hours on the ground.

Presumably the situation could be different in every situation, but in this one: from where would the crew operating JFK-LGW have been drawn? Would it have been a crew also sent out on the positioning flight, or would it have had to have been a crew that was already in NYC? (I'm presuming that after operating LHR-JFK, no crew could legally have operated JFK-LGW that soon.)
The original London based Flight Crew and LGW based Cabin Crew operated the flight after minimum rest.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you

The original London based Flight Crew and LGW based Cabin Crew operated the flight after minimum rest.
... which presumably was quite exciting for them as they don't normally get to fly the 77Ws
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it would have been unusual, excited wouldn’t be a word I would use.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Thanks, CIHY.

That sounds punishing. For that reason alone, I think I can see why they might none of them have been "excited".
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:09 am

This might seem like a blindly obvious question ... but what happens to the trays in the middle return lift in the first wing security section (The one in the repacking tables)

I can understand what happens to the ones at the end of each security conveyor.

But do the middle ones go to one side or the other ... or is it smart enough to separate them up for demand?

Banal question I appreciate but it is strange how the mind wanders at 7am.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by MPH1980
This might seem like a blindly obvious question ... but what happens to the trays in the middle return lift in the first wing security section (The one in the repacking tables)

I can understand what happens to the ones at the end of each security conveyor.

But do the middle ones go to one side or the other ... or is it smart enough to separate them up for demand?

Banal question I appreciate but it is strange how the mind wanders at 7am.
These are just stacked in a cart obscured under the table aren't they? I'm sure I've seen one of the staff emptying it and redistributing the trays...

Last edited by dakaix; Nov 19, 2018 at 3:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.