Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Next BA Flyertalk DOs! Hong Kong 15 Nov and Leeds 06 Dec

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
The next two British Airways Flyertalk DOs in 2013 are:

Everyone welcome, including partners (etc) and flyers with Other Airlines. More information will be posted here.

1) Hong Kong - Delaney's Pub - Wanchai, 18:30 hrs Friday 15 November.

Location: 18 Luard Road, Wanchai, corner of Jaffe Road. 3 minutes walk from Wan Chai MTR station. Take exit C out of the MTR and head left crossing the road at the lights.

Venue's Website here.

Attendees
PETER01
ThatT1Feeling
chazza
buschoi
wherenext
Beano HK
- plus 3 others via PM.
=======================================
2) Leeds, Yorkshire - Confirmed as Friday 6 December, details (on venue and timings) to follow.

(Inaugural since BA started to fly to LBA!)

Ladies and Gentleman, having been born and grown up in Leeds, and as a proud FT member and contributor to the BA board, it gives me great pleasure to invite you to the BA Flyertalk Inaugural Leeds Do on Friday 6 December.

Attendee List - 17 confirmed, 5 maybes (updated 00:35, 6 December)

Party trains, planes, and hotels (updated 00:35, 6 December)

Leeds is the third largest city in the UK, and the cultural, financial, and commercial heart of Yorkshire. Leeds Bradford International Airport (LBA) to London Heathrow is one of the newer routes on the BA network having started in December 2012 – so it is about time we christen this new route and have the first ever Flyertalk do in Leeds!

Date & Time
Friday 6th December 2013. The evening will start around 6.30pm.

Venue

Sam's Chop House
8 South Parade,
Leeds,
LS1 5QX

Map

Sam's is on the corner of East Parade and South Parade. When you get inside there is the bar on the right and the raised restaurant area on the left. Our area is straight ahead through the archrway.

Food
Food will be served as a buffet and split between two servings, one at 7.30pm and the other at 8.30pm.

Our selected buffet menu.

Full buffet menu - just for reference

Sam's is open to 3am so we can stay until very late or move on.

Hotels
There are various hotel options in the city centre, including Radisson Blu, Hilton, Crowne Plaza, Novotel, Doubletree (formerly Mint), Park Plaza, Travelodge, Malmaison, Jurys Inn, Marriott, The Queens, and The Met. Also just outside the city centre are Holiday Inn Express, Premier Inn, Ibis, and Bewleys. Hopefully there is enough to cater for any budget or loyalty program.

I note that many are staying at the Doubletree. I can also recommend the top floor Sky Lounge which is open from 12pm to 2am on Friday.

:-: :-: Radisson sale of up to 30% off. Rate code is HPFLASH. Valid for stays including Friday and up to 31 January. Includes breakfast. Details on Continental Club Blog.

Airport
There are three daily BA rotations from LHR to LBA, with Friday’s inbound flights being;
BA1346 0745-0855
BA1342 1300-1410
BA1344 1905-2015

To/From Airport
There is a 757 Bus Service that is every 30 minutes during the day, or every hour in the late evening. It takes around 35 minutes to get to the city centre. Timetable here.
  • If you are staying at the Holiday Inn Express the 757 goes along the main road right outisde (Kirkstall Road). Get off at the stop just past the fire station next door.
  • If you are in the Doubletree then get off the 757 at Park Row (the bus turns right on to it after passing the law courts and town hall). To go back to LBA on the bus you can get the 757 from stop S7 from right outside the station entrance (New Station Street).

Alternatively, the only official private cab company at LBA is Arrow which you can pre-book, or book when you arrive at LBA. To use the taxi service head out of the terminal builidng and across to the marked up taxi "hut". You then book and pay for the taxi inside and then head outside to the specific taxi which you are booked on. The cost for LBA-city centre is likely to be around £22. Hopefully we can do a bit of coordination if people are arriving at LBA to share cabs.

There is no train service at LBA.

Rail
Leeds has one main railway station right in the centre of the city. There are plenty of trains run by East Coast to London King’s Cross, with one every 30 minutes usually. Journey time is around 2hrs 30 mins, and advanced tickets can be had for £13 each way. There are also direct services to Leeds from York, further north from Scotland, and from most other major cities in the UK either by Cross Country trains or TransPennine Express.
  • If you are staying at the Holiday Inn Express then the best way is just to get a taxi - it is a short taxi ride and shouldn't cost more than £6. For the taxi rank at the station walk to the entrance/exit straight ahead after passing the ticket barriers, and it is across the road.
  • If you are in the Doubletree then the hotel is a short walk to the entrance/exit on straight ahead after passing the ticket barriers, across the pedestrian crossings. Take the covered stairwell on your right, turn right again at the bottom and head under the railway arches. Whilst walking under the railway arches take the right turn after the Centre News ewsagents - there is a sign for the DoubleTree here. Walk along Granary Wharf Arches and over the metal bridge, which spans the River Aire. Turn left and exit into the plaza. The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Center is located diagonally to your right.

For any of you booking train tickets on East Coast there is a Accor promotion with 20% off. I don't think you even need to be an Accor member to use it. You need to book by 11 November to take advantage.

East Coast / Accor promotion

City Centre
Leeds city centre is fairly compact, and we are not likely to wander too far, so once you get here you can usually walk most places with 15 minutes at most. Alternatively, there are plenty of taxis at the rail station taxi rank, or at other taxi ranks scattered around the city centre. The Leeds Hackney cabs are black and white.

If you have any question about the Leeds Do please feel free to send me (KARFA) a PM.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

FT DOs are great occasions where the good and not so good of Flyertalk can come together to say hello and have a drink or two together. I've been to quite a few and they are always most enjoyable. I don't think I've met anyone who regrets going to a DO. Most of the chat is about flying experiences, sometimes the subject matter goes over to some of the more interesting threads in this forum. Sometimes we have events (including Concorde!), sometimes we have a fun quiz (with prizes!). So no matter what your perspective I think most people in this forum will have a good time. Plus Ones, Twos and Whatevers are most welcome too.

Now it has been a while since we last had a DO, and with Christmas hurtling towards us like a iPad brandishing CSD, I think it's time to get some ideas.

1) Hong Kong Friday 15 November
Some time ago I suggested that we could hold a DO in Wanchai, Hong Kong, on Friday 15 November at say 18:30 hrs in Delaney's. Original thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ertalk-do.html though a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, so I think we best start afresh.

1a) Is anyone interested in coming along? If I get 2 other names then it's on! I'll find someway of getting the Ferrero Rocher lined up, by way of bribe. Please make a post below if you can do this, or by all means PM me if you prefer. It will just be a casual, friendly drink or two, I wasn't proposing to arrange food, though that's not difficult to sort out locally.

2) Leeds, UK. 6 December 2013 DO.
Probably of greater interest to more people. Now I am just touting for ideas at this point, suggestions absolutely welcome!

2a) Possible Venues (just a stream of consciousness at this point):
Leeds? [now confirmed]
York?
Birmingham? (Why? Because it's the 17th biggest city in Europe and we've never done anything there!)
Terminal 5? (Though we had a do nearby and not so long ago)
Gatwick Airport North Terminal?

2b) Dates
Again just some suggestions:
Friday 6 December? [now confirmed]
Friday 13 December ?!
Thursday 19 December?

2c) What thoughts, ideas, suggestions do you have? Over to you!

Hat tip to PETER01 for his occasional nudges!

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Nov 4, 2013 at 5:49 am
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Leeds would be good. The two Friday dates especially
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
^ good idea.

A UK do would work for me.

Can't do 6th December but other dates work.

Agree, Leeds could be good not least because it involves a trip / flight and am sure LBA needs a bit of number boosting.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
2a) Possible Venues (just a stream of consciousness at this point):
Leeds?
York?
Birmingham? (Why? Because it's the 17th biggest city in Europe and we've never done anything there!)
Terminal 5? (Though we had a do nearby and not so long ago)
Surely has to be Leeds since BA do fly here (for the time being)?

2b) Dates
Friday 6 December?
Friday 13 December ?!
Thursday 19 December?
I can make all the dates, and keen to come to another do after the great one in London back in June ^
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Should be in HKG on 15th Nov. Depends on clients as to whether I will be there or ICN - but right now I'm planning to be there and I will of course come down to Delaney's
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Well done corporate-wage-slave for this and as you say the Do's are a great social gathering of FTr's.

(The GLA Do cost me £70 and I didn't even go but that's another story! )

As there have been several London ones, EDI, GLA, NLC, MAN my own thoughts as we chatted about it were to have it in Leeds as it is (I think) easier for folks to get to?

The 6th or the 13th would be fine for me but I think the 19th may be a bit too close to Christmas, holiday periods for some, possibly.

The HKG one is tempting............
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Executive, Virgin FC
I won't commit to going ...I did last year and hubby's heart decided to have conniptions... so not tempting fate this year until nearer the time...But if it is somewhere in the North ( evein if it has to be Yorkshire... ) ((transplanted Lancashire girl!))
HM
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Well done again to C-W-S!
I am up for Leeds and I think either of the Fridays should be good. Need to get permission but would be keen to see the gang again and hand out my Christmas cards to save on stamps!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Leeds?
York?
Birmingham?
Terminal 5?

2b) Dates
Friday 6 December?
Friday 13 December ?!
Thursday 19 December?
I recommend York - lovely place with beautiful medieval walls and a magnificent minster.

I can't make 13/Dec or 19/Dec so it would have to be 6/Dec for me.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:47 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
19th only date that works for me.
I'm able to go to any of the places mentioned. Leeds does sound fun. Let's try and nail this down soon tho before I end up going somewhere!

Can't do HKG either. I'll be in Jersey that weekend. My first visit to the place!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I recommend York - lovely place with beautiful medieval walls and a magnificent minster.

I can't make 13/Dec or 19/Dec so it would have to be 6/Dec for me.
Yes York would be nice as well. A bit premature but if it is Leeds that is chosen then hopefully KARFA can help advise regarding places? @:-)
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Congratulations to CWS and well done on volunteering or being volunteered

PETER01 that wouldn't have anything to do with you would it ?

Just a note on BHX, previously my rather obvious suggestion for a doooo was knocked on the head rather quickly as BA don't fly to it and as such a BA ft do shouldn't/wouldn't/couldn't be held here, when did BA start flying to BHX again ? That's not to say that they shouldn't return and that the dooo shouldn't be held there ! Same applies to York ! Lovely place mind

Just saying really

Anyway, hope you all enjoy wherever you decide upon.

cs
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA gold
I might be able to make it work if I can find a cheap place to stay in HKG after departing BNE on the 11th if the HKG do is going ahead on the 15th.

Will need to know quite quickly as my tickets are in the process of being booked.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01
Yes York would be nice as well. A bit premature but if it is Leeds that is chosen then hopefully KARFA can help advise regarding places? @:-)
I would help in any way I can if it was Leeds. Must admit I am not a regular at going out in Leeds these days so I may have to consult my sister who is much more up to speed on these things.

Unfortunately we haven't got a concorde to look at like there was at the Manchester do, or a spectacular venue across from the Houses of Parliament like at the London do. However, if you do choose Leeds, I will try and find a venue where you can all bring your whippets!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Congratulations to CWS and well done on volunteering or being volunteered

PETER01 that wouldn't have anything to do with you would it ? cs
Not at all, I just gave him a wee em.............'nudge', his words, not mine

We had discussed it previously and he is fffaaaaarrr better organised than me and seems the right person to kick this off.

In saying that, hopefully a regional FT'r will assist/advise/help wherever it is held @:-)

Oh, it's not that far from Cornwall. Man up and come, you are due a "mancation"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.