Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading at checkin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Congratulations for your double upgrade!
I just read the thread from the beginning and I was going to offer you to be guested into the lounge as I'm flying on the 30th afternoon too, but luckily you don't need it anymore!
See you in the lounges
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC bronze, BA amex +
Thankyou all so much, just grabbed 63a! Thanks themapelligroup for the offer, where are you off to?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by Rogerrobberts
Thankyou all so much, just grabbed 63a! Thanks themapelligroup for the offer, where are you off to?
I'm going to Vancouver for a few days to catch up with some friends.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

What sort of food can i expect to find in the galleries lounge at around 4pm?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
What sort of food can i expect to find in the galleries lounge at around 4pm?
I can't answer specifically, but rest assured it will be appropriate for the time of day.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I can't answer specifically, but rest assured it will be appropriate for the time of day.
And apparently lots of carbohydrates is what BA deem to be appropriate for you, cake galore. The more boring answer is this long lost, dusty thread which no one looks at:

Galleries Club lounge LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

However! I can reveal that the GC menu will change soon, and that you may be one of the first to try it....
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Hey, you have a cw flight to SIN to enjoy - don't worry too much about the lounge food.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Can anybody tell me what the load is like on ba12 Sin - Lhr on wednesday 13th nov please
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Can anybody tell me what the load is like on ba12 Sin - Lhr on wednesday 13th nov please
Here you are.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.4/Diamond - Availability/FS/US]
Code:
SIN  Singapore Changi SG [WSSS]
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
WED  13 Nov 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
BA         12      SIN   23:10     LHR   04:50     744      F1 A0 Z0 J8 C9 D7 R6 I7 U0 W2 E2 T1 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 G9 P0 O9
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:50 pm

According to redemption availability on ba.com there are 3 seats left in WTP and 1 seat left in CW (BA12 13NOV)
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guy so fairly wide open
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:50 pm

I just want to say a huge thankyou! I am now travelling in club world ! I upgraded to wtp and then 17500 avios and £41 to club! Could not of done it without this forum! One last thing i would love to be on the upper deck but it is all greyed out does this mean its all full or do ba block it?
Well done on the exceptionally low cost upgrade. It does make me wonder though, BA have traditionally had quite a strict policy on upgrades and not upgraded unless they really have to.

I can understand this as I've sat next to people on qantas flights where I've paid 3k for my bus class ticket and they've paid 500 as a free upgrade. Now I.m happy to pay for CW tickets as I know I will be guaranteed a CW seat and I personally don't want to take the risk of wt or wtp but when I hear ba are selling CW seats for this it does make me question their policy. After all sometimes a CW seat is 5k. Is this upgrade at airport a common occurrence?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by aceman
Great news!

Now you have to hope your boss isn't going to turn up on the same flight and walk past you on the way to an economy seat!
Hence the beauty of the upper deck @:-)
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ripley5000
Well done on the exceptionally low cost upgrade. It does make me wonder though, BA have traditionally had quite a strict policy on upgrades and not upgraded unless they really have to.

I can understand this as I've sat next to people on qantas flights where I've paid 3k for my bus class ticket and they've paid 500 as a free upgrade. Now I.m happy to pay for CW tickets as I know I will be guaranteed a CW seat and I personally don't want to take the risk of wt or wtp but when I hear ba are selling CW seats for this it does make me question their policy. After all sometimes a CW seat is 5k. Is this upgrade at airport a common occurrence?
I think the thread started along the lines of the OP wanting to redeem points in order to upgrade an employer purchased Y ticket on a rather long LHR-SIN sector. He paid an upgrade fee to W so that he would be eligible to use points in order to upgrade further to J and it appears to have worked for him on this occasion. It's not always a cut/shut that this would happen. Luckily for him a light load meant he could speculate with a mixture of cash and points to get where he wanted to be. Not entirely sure the outcome would be the same on a full flight.... if W was busier than it was then he may well have been stuck in Y..... game over. I guess in this case he seems to have played the game well. If I had a full day of work ahead after flying 13hrs in Y over 8 time zones, I'm pretty sure I would be looking to better my seat situation also.

If we knew the answer to the magical theory and formula about when and how premium cabin availability opens up for online upgrade, nobody would book premium cabins at a higher fare in the first place. As you say, the only way to guarantee a seat is to pay for it. Also remember that by upgrading with a online upgrade offer/points redemption often throws away any flexibility you had associated with your original reservation. Generally these upgrades then change the rules and restrictions to being no changes and no refunds. That in itself may not work for some people meaning they won't bother and like you purchase a J ticket.

I've been able to take advantage of such offers in the past (happy with the no changes no refunds restrictions) and I can generally put it down to either a flight being extremely busy (possibly overbooked in my booked cabin) where unless they can sell the upgrade, an OPUP at the airport may occur.... but there's no guarantee I will be offered the OPUP so I view this as a sort of upgrade lottery. I travelled to DXB a couple of years ago and watched the upgrade from WTP to Club drop from £399 to £299 to £199 over 7 days leading up to departure. Or as in this case where the flight was very light, some money for an online upgrade or via award availability is better than nothing and having the seat fly empty. That's my take on it anyway. ^
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:30 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Ripley5000

The OP paid near £462 to upgrade from WT to WTP, I wouldn't call that low cost. From WTP upgrading with avios is always good value and is always the same amount.
The OP also wasn't upgraded at the airport.

Also, Qantas doesn't generally offer discounted cash upgrades to business and their upgrade policy is different to BA's and more opaque.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.