Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happens to Avios / TPs / status upon the death of the account holder ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens to Avios / TPs / status upon the death of the account holder ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thank you UK1 for explaining the way the law works, as it originally seemed to me a non- legal person counter intuitive i.e I would have erroneously thought a company could set the rules of a scheme as they choose.
Certainly in my case, as a technical person, words such as "shall" have a very black and white meaning and sometimes I struggle with subjective terms like "reasonable" and "fair" and how the law interprets them.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:34 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Thank you UK1 for explaining the way the law works, as it originally seemed to me a non- legal person counter intuitive i.e I would have erroneously thought a company could set the rules of a scheme as they choose.
Certainly in my case, as a technical person, words such as "shall" have a very black and white meaning and sometimes I struggle with subjective terms like "reasonable" and "fair" and how the law interprets them.
Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Deceased neighbour.

I have/had a neighbour who has sadly recently died....his wife asked me if she would be able to continue to use his many BA Avios. I couldn't answer as I don't know. I said not to call BA just yet and I would post the question here in the first instance.
Advice please...thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Sorry to hear about your neighbour's loss. Unfortunately, according to the terms and conditions, Avios die with the recipient:

3.12. Membership will terminate automatically...... upon the death of a Member, Avios Points, Tier Points and Lifetime Tier Points accumulated but unused at the time of death shall be cancelled.

If BA never find out that the recipient has died then.......
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I echo what's posted above, if BA never find out.......

cs
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Couldnt she start a HHA and join his account under hers thus using the points through the HHA?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:09 am

As long as they are in an HHA just continue to use them. Phoning BA would not get the answer you would like to hear.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I believe it is possible for the avios to be transferred if the executor/executrix contacts BA and provides a copy of the death certificate. Albeit that this is at variance with the stated terms.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ext-kin-5.html
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:12 am

It could be an issue if she is not already in an HHA and does not know her husband's login details. I suspect that would require a call to BA.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I also believe that there are some well qualified folks around on this thread (uk1 for example) who have kindly advised about the legal position of this matter in the past.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I think Nicci has also intervened in some cases.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Thanks.

Thanks for your support. It turns out they do have a Household account including her minimal Avios.and while she doesn't know his login details, they are 'saved' on his PC, so at least access at present is OK. I was going to suggest that maybe she opens up her own Avios account and just moves them over, but then reading some of the replies she may be worrying unnecessarily, as it seems that all BA require is the death certificate etc. It would be a shame to 'lose' them as he had 1000's and with grown up children and grandchildren overseas, it would be good for her to be able to visit them.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:00 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by crazy8534
I also believe that there are some well qualified folks around on this thread (uk1 for example) who have kindly advised about the legal position of this matter in the past.
Oh dear .. mentioned in despatches ... no good ever comes of such things ....

Mike (OP) unless you wish to be a pioneer and start to have a debate about the legals, the pragmatic thing is to establish access to the account (she has said " continue to use" implying she has had access) and as others have said form a household account with the wife and any other family members she desires to share the bounty with as family members. Nil Desporandum should ensue.

If this doesn't work, come back and we'll debate Plan B. It is kind of you to help your neighbour.

EDITED: My reply crossed with your post of the solution. Well done.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As we've had a couple of similar recent threads on this topic, I've merged and retitled. /mod
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:03 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
As we've had a couple of similar recent threads on this topic, I've merged and retitled. /mod

...... brings back memories .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.