Wiki Posts
Search

Different country for Executive club

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm from the UK and now work in South Africa - I have a BA AMEX card from the UK and I now have a Standard Bank Avios credit card in South Africa.....
My genius idea was to have them both earning me points in there respective country but I found out I can only earn points and have 1 account and points accrued on MY RSA card can't go back to the UK account so I have to use my UK card here and thus keep transferring money over (expensive). My wife is also on the card and we have a household account.

Can you have 2 executive club accounts?? One in England and the other in RSA?? Therefore I can earn and spend without hassle in the respective country.

Thank you!
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome Adrian05

Originally Posted by Adrian05
Hi,
Hello Adrian05, welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the British Airways forum. I can't answer your question, it completely throws me too! But I'm sure a FTer will come along and give you a more substantive answer (apart, perhaps, from dissolving the HHA and keeping one in SA and one in the UK?). Welcome on board, please stick around.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
From the BAEC T&Cs:

3.5. Applicants accepted as Members will be given a Membership number and may be provided with a Card. Multiple Membership is not permitted and each Member must maintain only one account. In the case of duplication of Membership, all Memberships (other than the first Membership approved by British Airways) will be cancelled as will any duplicate Avios Points.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Hi Adrian. It is an issue I faced when moving to Russia. I ended up keeping local cards and local accounts linked to a localised Russian BAEC as there seems to be lots more double / triple your Avois offers gere. For the UK, I switched to using the Platinum Amex, putting the BA one into hibernation, so I could earn points on cards here and also do a MR transfer when using Amex.

Best is to do the right thing for finances, then sort out how to collect your Avios afterwards.

It will get a tad more complicated if I take the job in Almaty though....
Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
It's weird how an airline assumes no one is based in two (or more countries).

I wonder if this is a legacy I euro cheating. If they allowed people to be based in different countries someone could say they lived in France (at one time much lower TP thresholds in most of mainland Europe) but had a second home in the UK to take advantage of Tesco and BA Amex.

Now there's nowhere in the world with lower tier point thresholds then I don't see why this rule should still exist unless it's a limitation with their systems.

BA (well Nicci), if you're reading this are you aware of why this rule exists? Is it technical or some legacy reason?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I think it time we are allowed 2 addresses and to allow us to collect Avios from programmes in both countries. Whilst I am based in the UK and have UK issued BA and Diamond Club Amex cards, I also have a US bank account and and credit card liunked to our home in the US. I cannot see any legal or justifiable commercial reason why BA cannot permit me to collect Avios via my UK Amex and the Chase card linked to my Chase bank account.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I think it time we are allowed 2 addresses and to allow us to collect Avios from programmes in both countries. Whilst I am based in the UK and have UK issued BA and Diamond Club Amex cards, I also have a US bank account and and credit card liunked to our home in the US. I cannot see any legal or justifiable commercial reason why BA cannot permit me to collect Avios via my UK Amex and the Chase card linked to my Chase bank account.
+1, I have both UK and USA bank accounts and addresses, but only use USA credit cards because there are more of them that offer high sign-up bonuses (not just Avios). I would like to get a UK-issued BA Amex, but can't since I have the USA-issued Chase BA.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:13 am

I have in the past since moving overseas from the UK to Canada had 2 exec accounts. When I wanted to pool the avios I changed the UK address (via online service) to match my Canadian. I then contacted BA North America and had them merge my two accounts. It seemed pretty straight forward and I wasn't asked to explain why had 2 accounts.
Perhaps North America is bound by different rules?
Anyway, I agree with the theory that any decisions should be made based on financial well being rather than avios redemption.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Adrian05
Hi,

I'm from the UK and now work in South Africa - I have a BA AMEX card from the UK and I now have a Standard Bank Avios credit card in South Africa.....
My genius idea was to have them both earning me points in there respective country but I found out I can only earn points and have 1 account and points accrued on MY RSA card can't go back to the UK account so I have to use my UK card here and thus keep transferring money over (expensive). My wife is also on the card and we have a household account.

Can you have 2 executive club accounts?? One in England and the other in RSA?? Therefore I can earn and spend without hassle in the respective country.

Thank you!
I'm not too familiar with the UK BA AMEX, so I don't know if it has foreign transaction fees, but if it doesn't, you could always just use it for your spending in South Africa. Then, assuming you are being paid in rand, exchange your rand to pounds on currencyfair.com for very small fees, transfer the pounds to your UK bank account, and pay your AMEX bill from there.

I use this strategy to pay my USA credit card bills (I earn my wages in pounds)...sometimes you actually end up saving money when the exchange rate bounces around one way or another. Of course, the opposite could happen as well.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold

I'm in the same situation, BAEC in UK linked to the BA Amex card. Have now recently moved to South Africa, and have started collecting Avios here with Pick Pay and BP.
I was thinking of transferring my account to South Africa and notifying Amex of the move and linking them all to SA, however I dont want to lose any credit history/raying in the UK.
The thing is last month BA were offering bonus avios on flights from SA to Europe, when I registered for the offer, i was turned down as my
BAEC account is in the UK so I didn't qualify.
Not sure what to do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.