Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone been through LAX recently?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I also arrived on AA137 last week, had the bus transfer and a tedious 2 hour wait in line going nowhere fast, with few desks manned. After a certain time threshold they call out passengers on particular flights and lead them over to the empty US desks for processing, which took just a few minutes.

Just FYI, the bus part only applies to AA arrivals into T4, where there is no dedicated US CBP facility, so their international passengers have to be bussed to TBIT next door where there obviously are such facilities.

Last edited by daftboy; Oct 4, 2013 at 4:29 am Reason: Sloppy grammar
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:21 am

Came in last week on BA 279. Was absolutely fine. In CW so off sharpish, but had an airbridge and immigration queue was about 5-10 mins. Hall empty.

I'd recommend this over the A380 (shock horror!) due to the quieter arrival time. But that could have been down to other factors.

TBIT is a bit of a state for departures too, by the way. Nothing to eat of note before security, so go up and get your Panda/whatever in. It looks as if it will be decent airside once all finished.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Went through on the 1st September on BA283. About 70 minute wait at immigration.

I would recommend a bottle of water for the queue, as it was very warm!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Yup timing is *everything* there unfortunately. When it's bad, it's very very bad.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It can get really jammed. Last time I went through (May) immigration wasn't so bad, but the line for customs wrapped all the way around the baggage claim area. Took about 30 minutes to clear.

Much depends on plain luck of the draw in terms of when your flight arrives compared to others. If you get stuck behind two 747 loads arriving from Asia, it's going to be bad.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:05 am

It was about 30 minutes last night, mainly because just behind a China Southern flight and there seemed to be only one rep / translator who was shuttling between the various booths sorting out issues..
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Oil-man
There's a good US Government website detailing recent historical immigration wait times at US airports, at different times of the day. Try it out;

http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/
Yes, add 15 minutes or so to that for a more accurate number I suspect. I use the real time border crossing site for land crossings from Canada quite regularly and "no delay" actually means up to 15 minutes, 15 minutes means about 30, and so on.

Still it's helpful to have some kind of reference, if only an average.

I haven't been through TBIT since May. As it happened on that arrival in the morning about 7 on a QF 380 there was no queue in immigration when I arrived but I have global entry so it's all irrelavent to me.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I flew into LAX from Asia a few weeks ago. We landed around 5 P.M. The immigration lines were very short. But getting to the immigration area was a very long walk.

Also, I have Global Entry and they only had one or two terminals open. And the facilities between leaving the airplane and going through bag claim, etc were dirty, crowded and disorganized.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by seat 13a
Into LAX last month, before the BA switch to A380, the last London flight came in behind a China South 380. Massive queues both at immigration and customs - more than 2 hours to clear. New terminal makes departure v relaxed, however. But the problem remains US officialdom, and lack of funding...
Similar situation 2 weeks ago - I was one of the first off KLM and just behind Air China. Chaos, trying to get the Chinese, who do not speak one word of English, through immigration. Several Chinese speaking agents but that meant that the Chinese pax kept getting distributed to them leaving few left for the rest of us. Added to that, the ladies attending to the queues were hopeless, in the end the last pax off the plane (I was one of the first) managed to get through even before we did as they moved the back of the queue to the front of the US Nationals kiosks.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I flew into LAX from Asia a few weeks ago. We landed around 5 P.M. The immigration lines were very short. But getting to the immigration area was a very long walk.

Also, I have Global Entry and they only had one or two terminals open. And the facilities between leaving the airplane and going through bag claim, etc were dirty, crowded and disorganized.
As a US citizen with Global Entry it took me only a few minutes off the Cathay Pacific 881

I recommend ff get GE.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:56 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I was on an AF A380. The bus sucks, especially since they use the Tokyo subway rush hour pushers to get an extra 20 people in after it's full.

Long lines but I have GE. The GE terminals are at the very last lines (17 if I remember correctly).

With government shutdown the lines may be longer for no valid reason as CBP isn't supposed to be furloughed.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Tom Otley
It was about 30 minutes last night, mainly because just behind a China Southern flight and there seemed to be only one rep / translator who was shuttling between the various booths sorting out issues..
Last night arriving on the 269 : 45 minutes for me to get right to the head of the queue, then one of the agents combed the queue and pulled out all the remaining China Southern arrivees from the queue behind me, and lined them up in front of the booths ahead of me. All done, of course, without a flicker of explanation or apology.

Took another 15 minutes for them to clear so I could go through.

And then, to cap it all, another 15 minute queue to exit through customs.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
Off the 269 on the upper deck on the 24th, into a queue with about 10 people in front and through in 20 odd mins. Short wait for the luggage then on to the next queue for customs and at the Avis depot before 2100.

Not great but not bad either.

JAT
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I'm in LAX now, having just come off the BA283 on an A380. While taxiing the crew explained it takes up to 10 minutes to attach the air bridges. I was on the upper deck, and I think we were off first. Got an orange connecting pass, off to immigration, took around 10 minutes. Bags another 10 minutes, and now safely ensconced in the flagship lounge for my delayed flight to Vegas.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
This is my third time traversing thru lax in 10 days. Thankfully each time either domestic - domestic or domestic - international. I recommend arriving in the states via HNL

Security at TBIT for the international was very busy. In the 'priority' lane and the chap behind me was deeply concerned about missing his flight. Just as you approach the head of the queue half a dozen wheelchair users appear in front if you! Agents were apologetic stating very short staffed.

New departures terminal is looking really good - ending on a positive note!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.