Anyone been through LAX recently?

Old Oct 3, 13, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE

I have read on here about some kind of hideous bussing mayhem for International arrivals into TBIT with queues galore. Something to do with a new tunnel being built, which will be like a home from home for me because there are roadworks on every road I need to drive along at the moment

Is this worse than the usual US arrivals process? Can't be as bad as MIA - surely

Does the A380 get subjected to this ordeal? I dread the thought of nearly 500 people having to be bussed to the terminal.

If it is awful, are there any insider tips for beating the process that won't end up with some kind of 'special examination' from US border agents?
Old Oct 3, 13, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I've heard queues at LAX can be pretty bad right now, it's been longer than MIA for me the last couple of times though I fly in to MIA much more. Global Entry interview next week so hopefully just one more painful standing experience to endure. I try and check the arrivals information for the hour before my flight lands to get a feel for how many international flights are due in just before I'm scheduled to be joining the wait at immigration
Old Oct 3, 13, 2:14 pm

I went though last week. We had an airbridge from the ba 747 but the immigration queues were horrendous. Three hours it took took get through.

Absolutely appalling
Old Oct 3, 13, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
3 hours??? That is indeed appalling. I have (just) 3 hours before an onward connection (on a separate PNR ) and this isn't making me feel hugely confident. Oh dear...
Old Oct 3, 13, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Arrived in LAX on 24 Sept and was off the upper deck of the A380 pretty sharpish. Even so it took nearly 2 hours to clear immigration.......only about a third of the booths were open and the officers seemed to take a break between each party to watch some paint dry.....
Old Oct 3, 13, 2:42 pm

I thought the expanded and remodeled international terminal at LAX was supposed to be more spacious and efficient, but it sounds like nothing's changed?
Old Oct 3, 13, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I flew into LAX a couple of week back but I went via Dublin. Pre-cleared, into JFK and then onwards to LAX. The flights from Dublin seem pretty unreliable (with AA) but better than doing 10 hours and then having to queue for 2-3 hours and fares are pretty low ex dub as well. Fares across the Irish sea are very low so an option to consider; not much quicker door to door but less stressful (IMHO)
Old Oct 3, 13, 2:53 pm

LAX is my airport and the immigration/customs/arrivals experience is dreadful at the best of times, especially for non-USCs/permanent residents.

I am flying to Europe tomorrow and not pleased to hear it is worse than usual - fortunately I do have Global Entry
Old Oct 3, 13, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...

I did LAX in July. While I can't vouch for immigration - even though there were only 5 people in front of us it still took over 40 minutes - it was a long hike there. Put that with a wait for baggage even after that and a 20 minute queue for customs it wasn't the best.
Old Oct 3, 13, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time

There's a good US Government website detailing recent historical immigration wait times at US airports, at different times of the day. Try it out;

http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/
Old Oct 3, 13, 4:14 pm

Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold
It's been getting on for 3 years since I last was an International arrival into TBIT at LAX, however I was in 1K, my then wife (no more boohoo) was in 2K, Sarah Ferguson was in 5K and Emma Watson in 5A, whilst they were both "whisked" away by uniformed BA staff, we opted to make our own way, beat them both, and arrived at the luggage carousel in front of them! No recollection of any queues however it was New Year's Eve! Certainly no buses!
Old Oct 3, 13, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum

Into LAX last month, before the BA switch to A380, the last London flight came in behind a China South 380. Massive queues both at immigration and customs - more than 2 hours to clear. New terminal makes departure v relaxed, however. But the problem remains US officialdom, and lack of funding...
Old Oct 3, 13, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by seat 13a View Post
Into LAX last month, before the BA switch to A380, the last London flight came in behind a China South 380. Massive queues both at immigration and customs - more than 2 hours to clear. New terminal makes departure v relaxed, however. But the problem remains US officialdom, and lack of funding...
I came in on the 269 on Tuesday and we pulled up next to the China Southern A380. For some reason the UD bridge took an age to connect so most of the LD pax were off first and at this point I was expecting the worst.

Despite picking the slowest moving of all the immigration lines and then the much slower of the two CBP lines I was out landside about 60 mins after disembarking.

It was taking 4-5 mins at immigration to process each family off the China flight and then it seemed like a majority of them were being pulled for thorough CBP inspections.

AFAIK the buses are for AA arrivals into T4 to transfer pax over to TBIT.

Last edited by mattyw; Oct 3, 13 at 6:37 pm
Old Oct 3, 13, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It all depends on when you land. I was on AA137 today that landed at T4 and resulted in a bus ride over to TBIT - non-us passport queues were almost non existent. Compared to the debacle I faced at T5 2 weeks ago (with a uk passport) TBIT was a model of serenity.
Old Oct 4, 13, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Stripy View Post
It all depends on when you land.
Sadly I think that's the name of the game when it comes to US Immigration. Last year we flew to LAX on VS23 which lands around 19.30 at T2.

We pulled up next to an Air China 777, so feared the worst. We were in Upper Class so in the first few off, and thankfully it appeared that the last 20% or so of the CA flight were clearing.

Still took a good 45 minutes but I dread to think how long the wait would have been if we'd landed 30 minutes earlier/them 30 mins later.

The NZ 777 landed after us, so their wait would have been long...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: