Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Interesting TV show, but a bit too much like a BA advert tbh. Also seemed to be very light on content for an hour long show - it could probably have been compressed into 15 minutes without losing anything important.
Perhaps a fitting metaphor for a balkanising Britain.
Wow,I never knew that someone actually reads the Daily Mails that BA insist on stocking!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:45 pm

Thumbs down

As others have said, it comes across as a BA commercial with no perspective apart from BA's and two minutes with a couple of F passengers (interesting that the only non-BA commentator was largely negative).

For example:
(1) There is no mention of Virgin throughout the entire programme, and a brief passing of easyJet as the largest airline by passengers. I wonder how the BBC can justify effectively becoming an advertiser to licence fee payers (though I imagine BA funded it, surprise surprise?).
(2) No mention of the horrific delays that people endure when things don't go to plan (it would have been much better to have shown a 'good' day, then a 'bad') which lost the balance
(3) The safety discussion is all very well, but again there was no mention that this is largely regulated and prescribed to airlines. The CAA / EASA impose extremely strict standards on all British and European airlines - this is not something that is unique to BA. Additionally, all airlines know that if they have a crash, that's largely game over (just ask Malaysian) so nobody skimps on this. The programme comes across as though BA has unique standards that others don't have.

I don't mean to come across as disgruntled, but I do think there could have been more balance to it overall.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:34 pm

I thought episode one was ok, a bit too much of an advert for Ba but quite interesting nevertheless. What made me laugh was the lady checking the new a380 cabin for the smallest imperfections. This is fair enough but to balance things shouldn't they show some of the old dog 744's held together with duct tape that they plan to still use (and still get xx thousand £ return fares) for a good few years to come. Looking forward to episode 2.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by chazman189
As others have said, it comes across as a BA commercial with no perspective apart from BA's and two minutes with a couple of F passengers (interesting that the only non-BA commentator was largely negative)...
The only negative comment I recall from the F passengers was in relation to one course of a 5 course tasting menu.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
A serious question, if BA seem to be very strict on their training program, why do so many bad apples get through? I will definitely be "snapshoting" bad CC on my next flight and have no qualms about telling the on-board CSM.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I really enjoyed the programme but there was no balance.

The focus on being a premium airline head and shoulders above the low costs still implies the full service airline of the past rather than the "thimble of coffee and packet of three crisps" experience many people get in ET.

Also it's a pity there isn't one of those trainers on every flight handing out snapshots when the crew disappear into the galley to read the paper after having served CE from back to front.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
I can't help but have a sense of 'if they treat new staff like that, and are prepared to show this to the outside world, what on earth are they really like with longer serving staff?'

The woman going over the A380 was pretty toe-curling. If the cleaners who do turnarounds don't give a toss what is the point?

The engineering piece was fairly interesting but rather lukewarm in terms of detail.

I am afraid my abiding thought from the programme is that BA is another organisation which has become governed by HR and general business BS rather than delivering quality products and service.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Really isn't.

LHR-JFK return
Y: £1620
J: £6895 (x4.2Y)
F: £10493 (x6.47Y)
I would only ever be paying 400 or less for a return to jfk in y, maybe not on ba as you say so not like for like.

I should mention that the figure of 10 time was one quoted on the programme, and my comment was that it wasn't correct, so at least we agree on that

14% of the passengers making up 41% of the revenue of the flight was how they calculated it
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by Purim
LOL. "SNAPSHOT!" to be used EVERY time the FA unilaterally lowers the CW dividers after I have asked during PDB to spare my aisle mate by walking behind him (or her) and not over her (or him).
The standard is to lower the screen to serve the middle/window passenger... annoying for you, granted, but its health and safety for the crew... Even though many do "reach around" you shouldn't expect them to.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by marble
Hmm ... maybe we need to contract with each other now about that.
That made me cringe...
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Well as a recruiter/ trainer.....

How did Jodie and the guy who was terminated get through the selection process in the first place? If BA had 14000 applications for 800 places and these 2 got through - it doesn't say a lot about the majority of applicants who didn't get through the process.

As the cabin crew are there primarily for our safety, I was glad to see the emphasis on the safety and medical aspects of training, which was then somewhat spoilt by the over emphasis on appearance. Seriouosly? a snapshot for simply having a ladder in your tights when this could trigger a termination for the person concerned? That seems rather stupid considering the cost of the recruiting and training process - surely a less formal admonition with a warning to always carry a spare pair with you just in case would be more appropriate for a first "offence"

I can see the need for the military approach to some aspects of CC training - you dont want a crew member who would go to pieces in an emergency, or who would inadvertently insult a passenger by speaking gibberish in a funny accent to a non English speaker......

In my younger days when i was looking at a career in the skies (admittedly in the 70s), most airlines insisted on some sort of language skills for cabin crew, and they got a dinky flag on their name badge to show passengers that they could speak whichever language it was. Its a shame that that seems to have gone away these days.

That said - I found the programme interesting and am looking forward to see how they all get on. Sadly - short of a miracle, I can't see Jodie making the cut!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
I'm going to burn in hell now for bringing up what a lot of people must have also been thinking..... (Austin Powers... moley... moley)

With the prolonged emphasis an appearance make up etc... The woman serving the food, with her distracting *cough* 'features'. I couldn't concentrate on the rest of her, it was a bit of a Sophie Raworth moment.

I'll get my coat now.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest & HiltonHHonors.
If that's the calibre of the new recruits....

....standards appear to be falling! Not good, BA.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Well as a recruiter/ trainer.....

How did Jodie and the guy who was terminated get through the selection process in the first place? If BA had 14000 applications for 800 places and these 2 got through - it doesn't say a lot about the majority of applicants who didn't get through the process.
I was more interested in the reaction of the chap they focused on post-Patrick termination. He seemed
to be focusing entirely on the fourth snapshot, which was 'just two minutes late' and not the subsequent
three

H
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Hoch
I was more interested in the reaction of the chap they focused on post-Patrick termination. He seemed
to be focusing entirely on the fourth snapshot, which was 'just two minutes late' and not the subsequent
three

H
Bonded. Man crush.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.