Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Refused Access to Lounge on Paid J - How to deal with this

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Access to Lounge on Paid J - How to deal with this

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:22 am

As the ticket was purchased from AA (and the premium product flown was with AA), I would be inclined to be quite direct with AA concerning the matter, even though it is BA who has let the passenger down in this case.

Namely, a significant part of the value of a long-haul J ticket is the lounge access it entitles, and the passenger was wrongly denied that on this trip. I would not simply be "reporting" this to AA as the OP says, but asking them for some of the fare refunded as the service promised when paying for a J ticket was not delivered. As the OP (AA Ex Plt) and his wife (AA Gold) seem to be quite good customers of AA, perhaps someone at AA just might agree and be the one to chase down BA over having mistreated their premium customers so seriously.

I certainly know that if I were one of the executives at AA involved in the AA/BA/IB transatlantic partnership, and I heard of this happening, I'd be steaming. Failures like this really undermine the whole partnership.

All that said, what OP has done so far sounds quite appropriate (and perhaps more likely to reach an outcome). But the fact that the money went from OP to AA (and apparently does quite a lot judging by the OP's status with AA) is what made me think their involvement here just might raise it to an appropriate level in BA.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jennyjo
This sweeping generalisation adds absolutely nothing to the debate. If you've encountered "totally ignorant and full of themselves BA/LHR staff" on many occasions maybe the problem is with your own behaviour rather than that of the people you encounter. Most of us here have had the occasional bad experience with BA staff but the vast majority of them are courteous and helpful and to suggest otherwise is a fatuous exaggeration.
Or maybe our levels of tolerance are slightly different. Some people do enjoy being abused and treated badly,I even heard there is a name for that...
Nothing wrong with that,please continue to enjoy
I, and every other person who travelled with me trough LHR on BA, have had the same experience - mostly ignorant, full of themselves and unfriendly staff. There is a helpful one on occasion, but this is a rare thing. The OP's wife experience just confirms that.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Or maybe our levels of tolerance are slightly different. Some people do enjoy being abused and treated badly,I even heard there is a name for that...
Ryanair passenger?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Do people ever just take out their mobile phone and take a photograph of the staff member with whom they're having difficulty in these circumstances?
Originally Posted by olddallas
Excellent idea, but the sort of thing that is hard to think of at the time. However, having seen the suggestion before hand I might remember when in a similar situation. Now how can I do this in the far more common situation of dealing with a phone CSR who doesn't know the rules?
The problem is that the sort of person who does not wish to comply with lounge access rules is also very often...
Originally Posted by visualAd
Data protection laws will probably prevent you from using it in a court, so you would need to seek permission before taking the photo and I cannot see them granting such permission.
...misinformed about data protection laws. The Data Protection Act 1998 does not apply to data you retain for social, personal, or domestic purposes, nor does it mean you need someone's consent to keep or retain their data for other purposes (you just have to fulfill one of a long list of options).

I agree that taking a photograph would have been likely to get matters escalated further and perhaps end up with the passenger getting offloaded.

If a subordinate of mine was established to have called a customer a pain in the arse, they would be very likely to be calling the Jobcentre in the near future.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Nothing wrong with that,please continue to enjoy
I, and every other person who travelled with me trough LHR on BA, have had the same experience - mostly ignorant, full of themselves and unfriendly staff. There is a helpful one on occasion, but this is a rare thing. The OP's wife experience just confirms that.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
No, contrary to your charmless suggestion, I don't get off on being abused and treated badly. Furthermore, I note that the OP agrees with me that in his experience, BA staff generally are polite and helpful.

If you and every other person travelling with you through LHR on BA have had consistently bad experiences with ignorant and unhelpful BA staff you have either been exceptionally unlucky or, more probably, you're getting back what you give out. Try treating people with a bit of respect - you'll be surprised how helpful and courteous they can be.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by Jennyjo
No, contrary to your charmless suggestion, I don't get off on being abused and treated badly. Furthermore, I note that the OP agrees with me that in his experience, BA staff generally are polite and helpful.

If you and every other person travelling with you through LHR on BA have had consistently bad experiences with ignorant and unhelpful BA staff you have either been exceptionally unlucky or, more probably, you're getting back what you give out. Try treating people with a bit of respect - you'll be surprised how helpful and courteous they can be.
Your veiled insults aside, the measure of a good customer facing employee is their ability to deal with difficult passengers with grace and without getting their feathers ruffled.

It doesn't matter at all if people are being disrespectful, the sort of behavior that is discussed on this thread (and in many on this forum) should never been seen from a BA/BAA employee ever, under any circumstances.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by BizFlyin
Your veiled insults aside, the measure of a good customer facing employee is their ability to deal with difficult passengers with grace and without getting their feathers ruffled.

It doesn't matter at all if people are being disrespectful, the sort of behavior that is discussed on this thread (and in many on this forum) should never been seen from a BA/BAA employee ever, under any circumstances.

I agree that a good employee should deal with difficult passengers with grace. I was making no veiled insults - merely pointing out that a consistent pattern of rudeness and ignorance from BA staff suggests a pattern of behaviour eliciting such responses - if indeed the claim by that poster to being consistently badly treated is true.

I agree too with that the behaviour under discussion with the OP is completely unacceptable, and is highly offensive. I was side-tracked by someone else's unhelpful generalisation that BA staff tend to be ignorant, unhelpful and "up themselves".
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:02 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Dear all

I wanted to confirm that we did get it wrong this time and the OP should have been allowed to access the lounge. I am extremely sorry about this and we have been in touch with the airport management team to bring this to their attention as soon as possible.

Warm regards

Nicci
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:25 am

I can accept most things as I am extremely easy going and most likely would shrug and go and find a bar or restaurant in the terminal. It takes an awful lot to make me react but being called a "pain in the ar*e" would most definitely have been the tipping point for me.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by indianwells
I can accept most things as I am extremely easy going and most likely would shrug and go and find a bar or restaurant in the terminal. It takes an awful lot to make me react but being called a "pain in the ar*e" would most definitely have been the tipping point for me.
They can call me what they like. I'd have happily let her call the police, airport security or even the A Team if she so desired. I'd have made quite the little show.

If this had happened to my wife, however, I'd be furious beyond measure.

There's an entire thread dedicated to this issue (refused entry on domestic connection when arriving in J/CE), and I think it's p*ss poor of BA for this to be such a regular occurrence.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by indianwells
Me too. I'm pretty easy going but if someone said that to me as a customer I'd want their scalp. But it's so outrageous it almost defies belief. Telling a customer they're becoming a nuisance would be indefensible but "pain in the arse"? She would have to be certifiable. OP - but did the agent actually use the expression "pain in the arse" or were you paraphrasing the gist? I'm not questioning the substance of your report, still less trying to defend the lounge agent's behaviour, but my mind is boggling so please satisfy my curiosity.

Good thread. This is such an egregious case that it should make BA address the training issue more seriously. Nicci's response shows it has registered.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
Dear all

I wanted to confirm that we did get it wrong this time and the OP should have been allowed to access the lounge. I am extremely sorry about this and we have been in touch with the airport management team to bring this to their attention as soon as possible.

Warm regards

Nicci
Nice feedback, and thank you Nicci.

At an admin level, this subject really needs someone who can speak and write English to communicate the rules cogently on BA.com and to staff.

If anyone can speak and write cogently these days ... That may be the biggest challenge
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by k_getchell
Next time I'm in Heathrow will be next Friday. I will be asking at Galleries First to speak with the Premium Services Manager to discuss this matter. Let's see just how accessible the person in charge actually is. I suspect that the manager being 'too busy' to discuss the matter with my other half yesterday wasn't necessarily the case. We shall see!
Please feedback on what they say!

Is there an official copy of the lounge access rules anywhere?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:59 am

Does anyone with time on their hands - and with the necessary knowledge - fancy doing a first draft for BA to use on their website and guidance notes for lounge staff.

Even better if anyone within BA fancies doing it I'm sure your colleagues and numerous customers would be very grateful.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Does anyone with time on their hands - and with the necessary knowledge - fancy doing a first draft for BA to use on their website and guidance notes for lounge staff.

Even better if anyone within BA fancies doing it I'm sure your colleagues and numerous customers would be very grateful.
This really isn't how multi-billion dollar organisations work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.