Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Refused Access to Lounge on Paid J - How to deal with this

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Access to Lounge on Paid J - How to deal with this

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:07 am

I would have said "Get the Police." At least that would have stirred the attention of the manager and perhaps they would have continued the conversation.

Does anyone have a link to the One World lounge entitlements page? It might be helpful for those sending friends and family to have a printed page at the ready. This happens far too often at LHR to be a random occurrence.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rapariga
Why did you think ahead of time that she might have problems?
Because I have seen others with similar issues on this forum and have also experienced poorly informed agents not realise that CX Gold is equivalent to BA Silver and AA Executive Platinum is not equivalent to BA Gold.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by riced
I would have said "Get the Police." At least that would have stirred the attention of the manager and perhaps they would have continued the conversation.
As a British Citizen I would have stood my ground knowing I was in the right and happily had a conversation with the police.

Other half is an American with an indefinite leave to remain visa so generally we have the view that it's better not to cause problems as who knows when/if brushes with the law (no matter whether in the right or the wrong) will have an impact on visa renewals.

In hindsight it's probably good I wasn't there. Suspect I wouldn't have taken too well to being called a pain in the ... by a member of BA staff!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all the responses. I had already considered contacting BA about this as I do believe the tone of this conversation was not acceptable. Hadn't thought about escalation to Frank van der Post.

Thanks to sigma421 for the suggestion of involving Frank van der Post and c-w-s for contacting AA as well as BA. Wouldn't have considered these steps.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
British Airways. To Serve. To Cry.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by olybeast
if you've got the name of the dragon who clearly didn't follow the rules then tell BA

complain to BA using this:
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/5...sengersac3.jpg

let us know how you get on
That image dates back to pre t5.

I too would have told them to call the police. The area the op was in is part of the public terminal, with an Amex facility and a BA "museum".

As well as a letter to the highest level detailing the name of the person who needs a p45, I'd strongly suggest writing to a reputable travel journalist, perhaps Simon Calder (either in the independent, or the bbc's fast track travel clinic)

It is unacceptable for Ba staff to threaten to arrest their customers.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
This is appalling. No passenger should be treated this way, whether they were entitled to lounge access or not.

Please do report this incident to BA, with as much detail as possible that would help to identify the member of staff involved. This person should not be working for BA.

Though there are those on this forum who would say it could all have been avoided by a smile and a greeting (or even a joke) from your other half.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Not in the same league but I can confirm that the staff at the entrance to GF were not at their most welcoming today. Mrs PK and I (both BA G card holders for a few months more) approached with our adult daughter (no status) I approached the desk and my BP was scanned followed by my daughter. The staff member looked at Mrs PK and then told me that I was only allowed to bring one guest into this lounge. I smiled and replied that Mrs PK was also a G card holder. 'Oh all right then' was the response. My wife was not spoken to nor welcomed at any point

Really not out of the top drawer of examples of how to make reasonably premium customers feel valued.

The guy tidying up just past the desks could not have been more charming or welcoming however....

Last edited by pomkiwi; Aug 31, 2013 at 3:29 pm
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by riced

Does anyone have a link to the One World lounge entitlements page? It might be helpful for those sending friends and family to have a printed page at the ready. This happens far too often at LHR to be a random occurrence.
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by rapariga
Why did you think ahead of time that she might have problems?
It's a fairly common issue for lounge access by class of service after having arrived off a longhaul in J or F and connecting to a shorthaul in domestic or ET. The agents seem to become confused and forget about OW rules that the J or F longhaul arrival allows access when connecting to another oneworld flight regardless of status or the class the short haul connecting flight is booked. If you retain your long haul boarding pass it sometimes jogs their memory and assists one in obtaining the access that is allowed under the rules.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Which is what we did for family members ... Bring the old BP and present that. And a copy of the Lounge brief as backup. As it happened, there was no problem, armed and eqiuipped for the challenge.

Nor should there have been one!

And that's where BA is getting it so very wrong. We have no problem, via status and booking class. But we're new enough in this situation to understand how annoying/embarrassing the inconsistencies can be.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
This behaviour is completely unacceptable. Take the staff member's name and complain at the highest levels. If you're on a lounge desk your sole purpose in life is to understand who to let in and who to not. If you can't grasp that, then you should foxtrot-oscar.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:10 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
This behaviour is completely unacceptable. Take the staff member's name and complain at the highest levels. If you're on a lounge desk your sole purpose in life is to understand who to let in and who to not. If you can't grasp that, then you should foxtrot-oscar.
Agree entirely. ^ ^
Old Aug 31, 2013, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
And crucially, less of the "You're now being a pain in the arse and I'm going to call the police if you don't leave immediately". That would have really gotten my blood boiling and I would have actually gotten them to bring the police.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Do people ever just take out their mobile phone and take a photograph of the staff member with whom they're having difficulty in these circumstances?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.