Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Newbie here...looking for some advice please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie here...looking for some advice please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I can't believe this board at times. In the OPs position I would also be rather annoyed. Whilst we do not know the full story, if it appears to you when you're on board, that just by complaining a lot, then you get an op-up, then I'd be fuming. Imagine if everyone was like that. This is after all the BA Board where whenever someone comments on not getting a free op-up, the response is that if you want an upgrade, then pay for it.

As to people moaning about the OP getting 10K for it, this is the same place where lots of ways to get extra avios is isn't it? Good luck to mdkdue, if BA decide to hand out some avios, nice one. If anyone else on this board were offered some sort of freebie after providing feedback, then I'm sure they'd take it. This is exactly the same as that.

T
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toothy
I can't believe this board at times. In the OPs position I would also be rather annoyed. Whilst we do not know the full story, if it appears to you when you're on board, that just by complaining a lot, then you get an op-up, then I'd be fuming. Imagine if everyone was like that. This is after all the BA Board where whenever someone comments on not getting a free op-up, the response is that if you want an upgrade, then pay for it.

As to people moaning about the OP getting 10K for it, this is the same place where lots of ways to get extra avios is isn't it? Good luck to mdkdue, if BA decide to hand out some avios, nice one. If anyone else on this board were offered some sort of freebie after providing feedback, then I'm sure they'd take it. This is exactly the same as that.

T
Thanks Toothy, your comments are appreciated, and you make a very good point.

I was starting to wish I had never posted at all!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
On planes and in life, some people blag for various things. They just do.

Many dont do it. Some just do it, some do it until they make a right nuisance of themselves. There are people just like that.

As for crew, its like parents giving in to kids when they are just too busy and too tired. Not saying it is right but it happens and we have all done it.

The Op got for his paid for. BA did not deliver anything more or less. No wrong or failing was committed to the Op. If anything, the Op probably had a far quieter flight than he would otherwise have had.

Just put yourself in the crew's position - you have a million and one things to do to ensure the flight goes smoothly but one passenger will not stop pestering you and can continue doing this for the rest of the flight. In the extreme case of nuisance, the crew would have had to delay the flight to remove the passenger and all passengers and crew would be inconvienced.

From a BA management perspective, this is a matter for CSD discretion. We know that BA management discourages upgrades if they can be avoided. The management policies are there.

Now if the Op were to turn up at the gate on crutches, etc, etc . However, almost everyone of us would never stoop that low.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mdkdue
Thanks Toothy, your comments are appreciated, and you make a very good point.

I was starting to wish I had never posted at all!
Just to reiterate, my comments were not a dig at you per se, but the rather willy nilly way that avios are handed out. It would be nice to think that BA have a sophisticated method of balancing out the number of miles in circulation versus the ability to redeem them so that they do not relentlessly devalue, but the cynic in me says that this is the sort of thing that contributes towards increased redemption levels and fees over time.

I would of course be happy to stand/sit corrected on this one!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Just put yourself in the crew's position - you have a million and one things to do to ensure the flight goes smoothly but one passenger will not stop pestering you and can continue doing this for the rest of the flight. In the extreme case of nuisance, the crew would have had to delay the flight to remove the passenger and all passengers and crew would be inconvienced.
That's the point though. As a point of principle, the person winging and moaning shouldn't be the person to be upgraded, if anyone should be upgraded, it is the one quietly going about their business, following crew instructions and making their life easy. Maybe that's just me, but if someone's going to be an awkward bugger to me, then don't expect any favours.

I'm sure if PUCCI were on the flight then the lady in question would of had a hairbrush to argue with rather than an upgrade

T
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
There may have been factors of which we're unaware but on the face of it no-one emerges covered in glory.

• The pestering passenger, for making a nuisance of self to get moved forward.
  • The cabin crew for giving in to pester power.
  • BAEC for doling out avios to OP. I'm struggling to see in what way his flight was materially affect by someone else being moved forward. It must be easier to dish out Avios every time instead of reading the letters and reaching a considered conclusion but as a habitual response it devalues the currency.

BAEC take the biscuit for the grovelling apology to OP. In what way did they not receive the level of service to which they were entitled? On that basis, surely all the pax in the cabin who were not moved forward should be bunged 10k avios.

That said, I wish OP well in his quest to move up the cabins. We've all been there and fully empathise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.