Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Dirty Trick" against British Airways by FT's Sarah Steeger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
What utter stupidity.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by oscietra
Oh no it's not.

And you should not confuse duration of study with being more highly educated - you only have to look at Scotland's 4 year degree programmes to see that!
Very well, show me some evidence.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
He was a seasoned traveller flying several times a month and it was the only time he made a mistake. That said, he always told the story making it clear that it was wholly his fault, unlike Ms Steeger.
Everyone is capable of making a mistake. For example, my then travel agent once booked her sister and herself onto flights from BKK back to the UK after a holiday. Because of different overall itineraries, they were on different bookings. Because the flights departed just after midnight, she managed to make the two bookings on different days, 24 hours apart.

Even Sarah Steeger could have written a useful article along the lines of "I was so stupid - please learn from my mistake and not the hard way".

It's the attempt to blame someone else that's the real vice here.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Oh no it's not.

And you should not confuse duration of study with being more highly educated - you only have to look at Scotland's 4 year degree programmes to see that!
You really want to go there Englander? Glass houses. Stones
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:56 am

So when did the UK go to military time? I grew up in Britain and it was always am pm but then again I also lived thru decimilazation and long for pounds shillings and pence.

But seriously times confuse the you know what out of me as in the US there is no 24 hour clock.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sdix
So when did the UK go to military time?
It's not "military time". It's Planet Earth time, at least for transport.

And as far as I can recall, it's been universally used here for transport for at least 35 years.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: Meow Mix

I asked her on twitter whether she was being "serious" and she said that there is a follow up to the article it might have been misconstrued.

/AE
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by angeloedades
I asked her on twitter whether she was being "serious" and she said that there is a follow up to the article it might have been misconstrued.

/AE
So she's seen which way the wind has blown and is now going to climb down from her original position. I'll be interested to see how she manages that given the rather strong terms used.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, Aegan Miles and Bonus
I'm speechless.....almost. Childlike behavior at best.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Thankfully the comments are almost universal in their condemnation of the piece; it would be good to see it withdrawn.
I'm not sure you need the "almost" qualifier. Scanning through the comments it looks like 100% condemnation. Airlines may have lots of "dirty tricks" but this is certainly not one of them.

I bet if she had been nicer to the agents they would have been more helpful in accommodating her...perhaps even for free.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: kayaker
I was also quite surprised by that article, especially how she tried to spin it as BA's "dirty trick," when all of us know that you have to double check things.

As to her trying to play it off as "misconstrued," I wonder if this is going to spark a follow-up article a la the series she did on FA annual training ("re-qual"?) where she griped about the process, got lambasted for it, and then changed her tune and talked about how amazing it all was.

Honestly, I've been quite disappointed by how little substance her articles have given, especially since they were supposed to be a "behind-the-scenes" look at a FA's life.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Much easier to get confused by the US date system, which is randomly either mm/dd or dd/mm wherever you turn.

And why, when using a 12-hour clock, do so many US websites say 01:20pm (instead of 1:20pm) just to add extra confusion?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Well, this article certainly stirred a reaction here, not surprising given its high octane title. I am going to close this thread here. I think Sarah has received a thorough pasting here. Rightly or wrongly, it reflects badly on the otherwise friendly and considerate community we have here.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.