Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

School Hols - T5 lounge dragons baring teeth

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for a great post, VC10 Boy.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:13 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by bafan
Yeah. Perfect. Like GC isn't already full to capacity at peak times...
Look, this is the BAEC forum on FT. The proper response to this is just to ban all the silvers
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by economyman

The additional guest rule does not apply to the CCR so only one guest is allowed. Considering there are less than 500 CCR card holders apparently and these are typically members who bring a lot of revenue BAs way, extending the 2 guests rule to the CCR as well would be welcome and I think reasonable. Not sure it would have a significant impact on the loads in the lounge and not allowing it is a bit stingy. I think Premiers are allowed 2 in both CCR and the arrivals lounge.
I suspect it may well have an impact actually, by virtue of CCR card holders being rather frequent flyers and the CCR not being very large. It needs a pretty strict capacity control. There also seem to be a lot of long-term stayers there (3+ hours) probably due to connection time so it really needs a strict capacity control to keep it a relatively tranquil place.

I'd say no to that as a CCR card holder.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by economyman
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
BA could easily change the rules to allow GGL/CCR to take more guests into the lounge.
Well actually it has.

GGLs are allowed one extra guest above GCH so 2 guests in Flounge and 1 in arrivals lounge.

The additional guest rule does not apply to the CCR so only one guest is allowed. Considering there are less than 500 CCR card holders apparently and these are typically members who bring a lot of revenue BAs way, extending the 2 guests rule to the CCR as well would be welcome and I think reasonable.
Perhaps I'm slow tonight ... I know the current rules. The OP did too.

Are you saying BA have changed the rules, or that they haven't ... but should?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I think it would be very simple for BA to issue say 3-5 extra guest single use cards (valid traveling BA only and BA lounges) that we GCH etc could decide when to use when traveling with family. Would end this issue and make sure the lounge is not overrun. The GCH can then decide which family trips to use.

Could even make it valid just for GC.
Originally Posted by dubbin
This "simple" idea is suggested every time the issue comes up (at least 3 times a year, during the holidays). If BA thought it was a good idea, they would have done it by now.
Doesn't mean it isn't a good idea though (after all BA has plenty of what it considers to be good ideas and FTers consider to be bad ideas). I imagine the main difficulty would be to prevent people making extra passes.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:25 pm

I hear from within that lounges are heaving currently due to holidays... One would think it would be the opposite, but it does seem like many golds do fly during holiday and bring guests (which I presume is the cause for lounges being extra busy)
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
I had my first CCR experience yesterday and was pleased that it wasn't heaving (I was there from 10.00-12.00). No celebs in sight either at that time!

Originally Posted by Petrus
I hear from within that lounges are heaving currently due to holidays... One would think it would be the opposite, but it does seem like many golds do fly during holiday and bring guests (which I presume is the cause for lounges being extra busy)
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by layz
I don't think there's any harm in asking as long as you're polite about it. The important thing is to expect refusal and take it with good grace if it happens.

Now is the lounge attendant being rude when she said 'enjoy the shops', it's possible (and that's the way it sounded to the OP), but she might not have intended it to sound that way. Some people actually like shopping.

Sometimes people say things that may sound rude, but it wasn't intended that way.
+1

Actually if some posters / readers lived by that creed, the forums could be more fun?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Originally Posted by HMPS
+1

Actually if some posters / readers lived by that creed, the forums could be more fun?
The vultures need to be de-fanged. They are free to apply the rules correctly and uniformly, but they have no business giving gratuitous advise.

I don't want to get into a detailed story, suffices to say the last time a lounge vulture tried to give me some condescending gratuitous advise, I did escalate the situation by calling her supervisor and to my complete satisfaction, left the vulture seething and in a frustrated huff.

I fly beacuse I choose to, and to de-fang lounge vultures.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; Galaxy Nexus Build/JWR66V) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by WhitePlains
Originally Posted by HMPS
+1

The vultures need to be de-fanged. They are free to apply the rules correctly and uniformly, but they have no business giving gratuitous advise.

I don't want to get into a detailed story, suffices to say the last time a lounge vulture tried to give me some condescending gratuitous advise, I did escalate the situation by calling her supervisor and to my complete satisfaction, left the vulture seething and in a frustrated huff.

When did the lounge dragons get upgraded to vultures?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by WhitePlains

Advice, surely?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue

Perhaps BA could think out of the box on this... You are allowed to guest into the lounges as Silver and higher.... So every time you don't they give you a credit (perhaps even a voucher) which you can use either to guest extra members of you family in when going on the annual holiday or colleagues when you need that quick chat before a flight and touch base... They could even limit it to say 5 in the year....

What do you guys think?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:48 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Perhaps BA could think out of the box on this... You are allowed to guest into the lounges as Silver and higher.... So every time you don't they give you a credit (perhaps even a voucher) which you can use either to guest extra members of you family in when going on the annual holiday or colleagues when you need that quick chat before a flight and touch base... They could even limit it to say 5 in the year....

What do you guys think?
Absolutely not - as the day would come when at the start of the School holidays you'd have tribes of people in those Lounges. I would by now have been able to have 5 guests on probably 4 occasions.

I wonder how many of these people bringing the entire family actually paid for the tickets that gained them access in the first place? Let me explain. I am really concerned that, as a result of yet another conversation on board that these sorts of things are bait for the taxman. If taking yourself, and your family into Lounges such as F is not a "perk" I don't know what is. If it is part of your fare - so be it - but it does concern me.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I suspect it may well have an impact actually, by virtue of CCR card holders being rather frequent flyers and the CCR not being very large. It needs a pretty strict capacity control. There also seem to be a lot of long-term stayers there (3+ hours) probably due to connection time so it really needs a strict capacity control to keep it a relatively tranquil place.

I'd say no to that as a CCR card holder.
You may be right. Neither of us probably has enough information to be sure so I guess we have to leave it up to BA to decide. As a CCR card older I too would not want it to be too busy.

Some sophisticated software could probably be implemented though that would allow BA to know approximately how many people to expect in each lounge at any given hour on any given day and could apply a discriminatory rule at the entrance based on how busy the lounge is expected to be. It could even be taken a step further, sending a message to a CCR card holder telling her/him that on their trip tomorrow to NY they can bring in both travel companions due to low expected capacity. The same could apply to GCH in the F lounge and so forth. I can see how this could cause all kind of operational and customer relationship issues too but it's an idea...
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by shorthauldad

Perhaps I'm slow tonight ... I know the current rules. The OP did too.

Are you saying BA have changed the rules, or that they haven't ... but should?
I was referring to the rule change allowing GGL card holders to bring in extra guest to the lounges in general (not the CCR)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.