Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

School Hols - T5 lounge dragons baring teeth

Old Aug 1, 13, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL

Just got turned away from CCR because I had an extra guest (my 12 year old son). Lounge dragon was right but rather brusque and suggested to my wife that she enjoy the shops on the way round to the First Lounge which was rather patronising. First time I've had an extra guest request turned down. Also saw 2 families with kids get turned away from First Lounge. Be warned they are being strict!
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lolbert View Post
Just got turned away from CCR because I had an extra guest (my 12 year old son). Lounge dragon was right but rather brusque and suggested to my wife that she enjoy the shops on the way round to the First Lounge which was rather patronising. First time I've had an extra guest request turned down. Also saw 2 families with kids get turned away from First Lounge. Be warned they are being strict!
Presumably your lady wife is a Gold cardholder too, so between you, you could of course have 3 guests (5 in all) in Flounge? Were you hoping to rake in a lot of sympathy, or just a little?!
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:09 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Do you not get an extra guest as a GGL member? Or is your son an extra extra guest?
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Do you not get an extra guest as a GGL member? Or is your son an extra extra guest?
I fear it's 2 guests s/he was trying to leverage into CCR, self, wife, bairn. 2 guests allowed in Flounge of course...
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Presumably your lady wife is a Gold cardholder too, so between you, you could of course have 3 guests (5 in all) in Flounge? Were you hoping to rake in a lot of sympathy, or just a little?!
Just pointing out that there is a policy of strictly enforcing the rules currently which hasn't always been the case.

Yes, I was allowed to take my 2 guests into the First Lounge as a GGL and my wife is Gold anyway.
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:35 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
^

I, for one, am pleased to see the rules being applied correctly.
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:40 am
Original Poster

I prefer it when agents are able to use some discretion. Most of the time I fly on my own so it's not an issue but 4/5 times a year I am with family so it's always appreciated when an additional guest is allowed (which is typically the case).
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:44 am

I prefer it when agents are able to use some discretion. Most of the time I fly on my own so it's not an issue but 4/5 times a year I am with family so it's always appreciated when an additional guest is allowed (which is typically the case).
So you prefer it that the rules are enforced when not necessary but would like them waived when they actually apply?

Old Aug 1, 13, 1:45 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold

+1 to the agents enforcing the rules.

-1 to OP for demeaning language (dragons baring teeth).
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:53 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dubbin
?????

You are (the shade of) Mary Whitehouse and I claim my 5.

cheers,

Henry
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by dubbin View Post

-1 to agents for demeaning language (enjoy the shops on the way round to GF).

+1 to the OP for good use of non-perjorative metaphor in the title.

(I have never thought of dragons as scary or bad, they have always been misunderstood "oh, you don't like me burning your village? I had no idea and thought you rather liked the excitement but now I know then I shan't do it again".)
Old Aug 1, 13, 1:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by dubbin View Post

Sorry + 5 to the Lounge Dragons for being put in the situation by someone who thinks that the rules could/should be bent for anyone.

Let's say that had that discretion and allowed it; the next minute someone would show up here saying that the Lounge Dragons (and I do dislike that expression) had no teeth.

Poor things they really can't win so they apply the rules. More power to their elbows.
Old Aug 1, 13, 2:00 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I suppose it is more provocative than "lounge access agents apply rules consistently".

How many Avios can the OP expect for having to slum it in the Flounge?
Old Aug 1, 13, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If everyone took their whole family into the lounge, it will get filled up very quickly. The food would go very quickly and the service times increased. The rules are there to help everyone, not the few. Otherwise it will end up like a public lounge.
Old Aug 1, 13, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I don't think there's any harm in asking as long as you're polite about it. The important thing is to expect refusal and take it with good grace if it happens.

Now is the lounge attendant being rude when she said 'enjoy the shops', it's possible (and that's the way it sounded to the OP), but she might not have intended it to sound that way. Some people actually like shopping.

Sometimes people say things that may sound rude, but it wasn't intended that way.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: