Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow closed : 16:30hrs 12 July '13 - [Empty plane fire, parked Ethiopian B787]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow closed : 16:30hrs 12 July '13 - [Empty plane fire, parked Ethiopian B787]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum

I'm not an engineer and I can't tell why a plane catch fire staying on the ground, but safety on the 787 is becoming a real dangerous issue
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Most of the press seem blissfully unaware the BA has actually taken delivery of a 787
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, lots of random hotel schemes...
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Maybe a silly question, but how does t5 conformsance work with delays like this? Do I have to go through at t-35 for the original or new flight time? Guessing that airside might be a bit lively now and would rather avoid if I can as have both the (well behaved) kids with me so will be with the masses rather than lounge, although I guess the lounges are rather densely populated right now as well!
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Am in the F lounge now waiting for news on BA763. Has been showing as "Gate Open" all afternoon and have conflicting info from lounge dragons, no one is at the gate. Rhaaaaaaaaa.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by mcinverness
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Maybe a silly question, but how does t5 conformsance work with delays like this? Do I have to go through at t-35 for the original or new flight time? Guessing that airside might be a bit lively now and would rather avoid if I can as have both the (well behaved) kids with me so will be with the masses rather than lounge, although I guess the lounges are rather densely populated right now as well!
Galleries First is ok and GC South was good earlier as well.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I'm not an engineer and I can't tell why a plane catch fire staying on the ground, but safety on the 787 is becoming a real dangerous issue
My understanding is that the batteries are used for powering some systems when the engines are not running. Therefore they are is use even when the aircraft may seems to be idle.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
My partner is in Prague and his flight is now due in LHR after midnight.

So I've proactively booked the Hilton T5 on points for him and as it's a points booking I wouldn't expect anyone to cover that cost.

Getting there will be a pain, no Hoppa bus at that time so I phoned the hotel they said they could arrange a taxi from T3 for around £15 which I believe is better than a black cab as they rip you off due to the hotel being on the wrong side of the Greater London/Slough border.

They were told to go to a desk to get meal vouchers, but they've ran out. There's also a possibility there'll be no food in CE if the aircraft had a quick turnaround. In that case room service would be the only viable option unless M&S is still open in arrivals.

I think BA would probably cover out of pocket expenses (taxi + food, but probably no drinks) particularly as I'm saving them the cost of the hotel. If they do and he needs to eat at the hotel, would he have any issues with the hotel invoice being in my name (as they were my points)? I think room service needs to be charged to the room. Perhaps Hilton can change the name on the invoice.

He didn't follow the golden rule of travel, always book flights on Amex. Then he'd have been covered by that insurance as he has a supplimentary card for my platinum.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by tuff
Slumming it in the first Lounge isn't too much of a hardship.
Originally Posted by LiviLion
I'd still rather be on my way home in 1A at this moment - it's decidedly warm in here IMO and I've been up since 04:30 this morning.
I can see both sides of this: we spent several anxious hours in the lounge at T5 during IRROPS, trying to get home following a bereavement. Undoubtedly the lounge is a more comfortable place to wait than the main departures area, but you reach a point where you just want to get home - and where you sit in the meantime becomes unimportant.

As for the sympathy for Boeing execs. - hmm...

Let's just be thankful that no-one was on the Ethiopian aircraft, and that the Thomson flight returned safely.

Livilion and others, I hope you are on your way soon.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:07 pm

The fire damage is in the area where the OHR or Overhead Rest compartment for the Cabin Crew is located. I assume the aircraft was plugged into the FEGP or Fixed Electrical Ground Power (again not confirmed) and perhaps some short has perhaps caused a fire.

Either that or an aircraft cleaner has had a crafty fag and not put it out completely.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by CO FF
Where are the battery packs in the 787? (Or should I stop worrying about facts and just idly speculate?)

Is this just a malfunction in galley equipment that - in a bad-luck coincidence for Boeing - wiped out $4b of market value?
Batteries are in equipment bays, i believe one forward and one aft. Equipment bays are under the cabin floor. It would appear that the fire was no where near the batteries. Bad luck for Boeing and the aircraft for sure.
Not sure the aircraft was powered up?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MNManInKen
Quote:

Originally Posted by apodo77

I am going to call it now. FA left an oven on and it overheated and caught fire.

I hope someone is going to sue Boeing for the scandalous design that meant no warning light went on somewhere to warn the oven was left on. After all, my car has a light that tells me the bonnet is open.
Nah, this was built in the great US of A not by those dodgy European chappies, wouldn't even get to court over there.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by vibrex
Batteries are in equipment bays, i believe one forward and one aft. Equipment bays are under the cabin floor. It would appear that the fire was no where near the batteries. Bad luck for Boeing and the aircraft for sure.
Not sure the aircraft was powered up?
How do we know the fire didn't start under the floor and rise up through the galley, scorching the roof. We've not seen any interior photos, but it must have been a reasonably large fire to burn the roof like that.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Man, the 787 is one snake-bit model.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:14 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Currently sitting at SXF waiting on my EZY flight back to LGW. I'm delayed would you believe.

(Ps not my choice to fly home EZY. The companies')

Only thing I can say is thank god I'm not flying home on a 787. Bloody death trap.

BA better start figuring out how to extend those 767s.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
How do we know the fire didn't start under the floor and rise up through the galley, scorching the roof. We've not seen any interior photos, but it must have been a reasonably large fire to burn the roof like that.
Some of the footage seems to show fire crew standing inside the back of the aircraft, unlikely they'd be able to do this if the fire had risen up through the floor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.