Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow closed : 16:30hrs 12 July '13 - [Empty plane fire, parked Ethiopian B787]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow closed : 16:30hrs 12 July '13 - [Empty plane fire, parked Ethiopian B787]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Live pictures on BBC News now - in another stroke of bad luck for Boeing, the words 'Dreamliner 787' are painted in great big letters on the side of the plane. Almost certainly every front page tomorrow will feature a picture of a clearly marked 787 in difficulty.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
there's just been an update on the displays. My flight was 1800, showed as 1831 for ages, now showing 20:02.

Lots of others departures updated too.

(The various news sites are saying no-one, pax or crew, on board, and no casualties - hope that is indeed the case)
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BA-Flyer

I am however surprised that Heathrow only has enough fire cover to deal with 1 incident at a time.

Surely if you have a problem on the ground then it is better to stop arrivals and departures until the incident is assessed and contained? You don't want to being more planes into a situation which may cause more harm.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jordan D
LHR reopening, I think: LH3384 (DUS-LHR) is on finals.
BA1488 to GLA appears to have departed.

Programs: BA Gold, EB Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
I feel sorry for the Boeing executives who once again must protest that the 787 is a safe plane. Not at all surprised this is a 787, since they never fixed the original fault - simply contained it.

I am however surprised that Heathrow only has enough fire cover to deal with 1 incident at a time.
Sorry for them? If they've simply covered up a potentially dangerous issue id at the very least expect them to be fired.

Programs: BA Amex, CX MPC, IHG PC, LX M&M
At least the fire crew don't have far to go

Their West Fire Station is right next to the stand!
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
09L open for landing.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
9L open for landings

and 9R departing now too.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Icarusian
It is indeed worrying. Hopefully all is ok with the Thomson flight returning to MAN. Obviously the safety of pax and crew needs to be the focus but with BA's new delivery it would be a shame if it were grounded before it took pax anywhere
Its already landed after spending a couple of hours getting rid of fuel, which rules out fire issues.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Some flights have up to 7 hour delays. Ouch.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by MNManInKen
Do planes have fire detectors active while parked up?
Depends if any power was being supplied to the aircraft. Fire extinguishers on Boeings( and most other aircraft) are powered by a HOT BUS directly from the/a battery regardless of switch position. Detectors for engines tend to be powered from DC standby busses and usually require ground power to be plugged in, or the battery switched on to be active.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
That is encourging. CPH-LHR flight delayed circa 3 hours. Told to check the screens for updates and passengers were allowed to rebook to tomorrow flight if connections are missed. Pilot briefed us himself with full update, so no complaints with the service from BA (so far).
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
From the pics I have seen the fire is just in front of the tail fin.

So a problem with the electrics in the Galley area rather than the batteries which are to the middle and front and on the underside on the plane.??
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by phol
Its already landed after spending a couple of hours getting rid of fuel, which rules out fire issues.
I would hazard a guess that it's a knee-jerk safety precaution on their part.

Time will tell, but I'm sure everyone on that plane (and their families) will be happy if it was a potential fault that could've occurred during their flight.

Having said that - if that's the case, then why aren't more 787's being grounded right now?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Heathrow closed : 16:30hrs 12 July 13 - [Empty plane fire, parked Ethiopian B787]

The aircraft on the ground have now started to move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.