Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

France air traffic control strike 11-13 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

France air traffic control strike 11-13 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
I expect I'll be retired for some time before you as a passenger sees any positive evolution.
Now you might be the one being optimistic about the fact that we will be able to retire at all! More seriously, I take your point and have no doubt that you are right here, maybe it will indeed take ages to have an impact, but I still think it makes sense intuitively and practically: considering Belgium as an airspace that is completely separate from the Netherlands or Slovenia from Croatia simply seems very counter-intuitive in view of the globality of European air traffic IMHO.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Frankly I am disgusted at the French government siding with the unions. However, this raised discussion over who controls the skies over any particular country. Logically the EU should have a sort of "FAA" that controls such matters.

You can see that going down a storm with the Daily Express/Mail readers and their mates at UKIP. Still this is OMNI territory - suffice to say that I suspect that this is the start of a really fun summer over the skies of Europe - Iberia, Alitalia, French ATC and whoever else jumps on that bandwagon all are lining up to cause delays and cancellations and those are the ones that come to mind. I just wish that more advanced notice could not be given so that people can make choices where possible. Most knew nothing about this (the Capt included) until they showed up at the airport.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:32 am

You probably need to be disgusted with the German government as well as they seem to be taking the same stance as the French.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
You probably need to be disgusted with the German government as well as they seem to be taking the same stance as the French.
Extra annoying then that they feel the need to strike. If the French and German governments agree and they can drum up support from a small number of other Member States then I would have thought they could block this proposal in Brussels without needing any strikes. (NB this isn't an expert opinion, just based on other experience with the Commission)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by BAAZ
Extra annoying then that they feel the need to strike. If the French and German governments agree and they can drum up support from a small number of other Member States then I would have thought they could block this proposal in Brussels without needing any strikes. (NB this isn't an expert opinion, just based on other experience with the Commission)
As I understand it day three of the strike was called off due to the French and German governments taking the stance they have. If they hadn't the third day of strike action would have taken place. Whether that validates the taking of strike action in the first place, well your view probably depends on your political leanings.

FWIW my view is that change may well be necessary, but the way SES 2+ and RP 2 is going to go about it may not yield the results the architects or airlines expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.