Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

France air traffic control strike 11-13 June

Old Jun 9, 13, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, Flying Blue silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Exclamation France air traffic control strike 11-13 June

French Air Traffic control have announced strike action from Tuesday 11 June to Thursday 13th June.

There could be some flight disruption. A mention now on BA.com. Sorry on phone so struggling to do link but wanted to give a heads up to people who might be affected.

I'm due to fly Air France during the strike. Wish me luck!
Old Jun 9, 13, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

What are they moaning at now?
Anyhow, good luck on both counts.
Old Jun 9, 13, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Actually, it is not only France but much of Europe. There was also fear the UK ones would join but at this stage it looks like they won't. Protest is about the opening of Air Traffic Control to competition across the EU. They argue it will jeopardise air safety.
Old Jun 9, 13, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Actually, it is not only France but much of Europe. There was also fear the UK ones would join but at this stage it looks like they won't. Protest is about the opening of Air Traffic Control to competition across the EU. They argue it will jeopardise air safety.
We live in interesting times, can't help but think that striking may make it even more likely to go ahead sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 9, 13, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm normally the last person to be sympathetic to strikers, but I have to admit that air traffic control is not something I want to see going to the lowest bidder!
Old Jun 9, 13, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Amex, CX MPC, IHG PC, LX M&M
Any idea if this will have an affect on overflights? Or will it be exclusive to flights arriving and departing France?
Old Jun 9, 13, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by marcusnugg View Post
Any idea if this will have an affect on overflights? Or will it be exclusive to flights arriving and departing France?
last time i was on a swiss flight GVA to BCN, early evening. we were boarded, doors closed and then i saw the captain standing in the aisle beside me. not a good omen i thought. sure enough, french ATC had literally minutes earlier begun their strike so airspace over france was closed.
i would assume that the same would happen today.
Old Jun 9, 13, 5:30 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by marcusnugg View Post
It is of course affecting any overflights. Although for many itineraries that normally fly over it, France can effectively be avoided at the cost of longer itineraries and busier air corridors, again, this is not a French strike but a European one and multiple countries are due to be affected. Not in all of them, however, do prospective strikers need to announce their strike so there is some uncertainty about the exact scope of the disruption to be expected. I expect that airlines will know more by Tuesday.
Old Jun 9, 13, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, Flying Blue silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold
The French Director General of Civil Aviation has asked airlines to reduce their schedules at major French airports by 50% during the strike. BA.com reports that they will be updating which flights are affected today.

Link to ba.com

Link to a French newspaper (in French)
Old Jun 10, 13, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It's not about competition, it's about the cost cutting that is being imposed under the Single European Sky performance improvement system enshrined in European Law.
Old Jun 10, 13, 2:42 am

Some background reading here...

http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/...od-2-2015-2019
Old Jun 10, 13, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Don't rule out further, more wide spread disruption across Europe on Wednesday.

;(
Old Jun 11, 13, 3:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It doesn't look too bad so far, just a few cancellations (Lyon, Toulouse, Barcelona, one Paris) so far. Of course the day is yet young....
Old Jun 11, 13, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It doesn't look too bad so far, just a few cancellations (Lyon, Toulouse, Barcelona, one Paris) so far. Of course the day is yet young....
I guess it depends whether you are in one of the affected flights or not but essentially the plan seems to be just under 50% cancellations (which is what was requested by French ATC in advance of the strike)

Plan for today accroding to BA:

5 out of 11 cancelled to Paris
5 out of 11 cancelled to NCE
2 out of 4 cancelled to LYS
1 out of 3 cancelled to MRS
1 out of 3 cancelled to TLS

Some of the flights that are going are badly delayed. My main query is how does BA decide which go or don't. It seems that mostly afternoon flights are cancelled in priority, so for NCE, for instance the 5 flights cancelled include 4 in a row.

The plan looks the same for tomorrow more or less on all destinations, no confirmed cancellation for Thursday as yet.
Old Jun 11, 13, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
How about Geneva flights? Are they likely to be affected this Thursday?

Search this Thread