FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   10% off BA Flights with Chase BA Visa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1467338-10-off-ba-flights-chase-ba-visa.html)

josephstern May 15, 2013 8:03 am

10% off BA Flights with Chase BA Visa

Not a bad deal:

Book now to receive our popular 10% discount throughout the summer and the rest of 2013. When you book any British Airways flight in any cabin using your British Airways Visa Signature card, you can continue to save 10% on your entire purchase price, including taxes, fees and carrier charges. As an added bonus, you can also apply this discount on bookings for up to eight friends and family members traveling on the same flight. Simply book your flight online at ba.com/chase10, use promotion code CARDOFFERU, and travel before December 31, 2013.*
Link ends here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_us#

layz May 15, 2013 8:51 am

Looks like the same offer as those in the UK with the bmi diamond club credit cards have received.

Even though the annual fee is higher on the BA PP Amex than the bmi plus cards for some reason this offer has not been extended to those who just hold that card.

lwildernorva May 15, 2013 9:38 am

Chase/BA have made this offer since I've had the card in 2011. Each year, BA indicates the offer will continue through the last day of the current year but then extends the offer into the following year.

So long as BA extends this benefit and you take one trip per year, the Chase card is well worth the $95 annual fee. I have saved over $500 this year in booking tickets for trips to Ireland and Italy for my sister and me.

seanp7 May 15, 2013 9:42 am

I've had the card since 2011 too but forgot about this offer and the email reminded me.

Brings some of the CW Summer Sale Europe fares down another $150-200 or so. I'm a little annoyed it doesn't work on IB flights (eg. JFK-MAD), since they market JV routes and prices, etc these days.

chance88088 May 15, 2013 10:34 am

Unfortunately (for those of us who live in the UK and also have a US address and can obtain the credit card) only good on flights originating in the US. As I just found out as I tried to book a flight back to the US for Christmas in the latest sale.

tooblue May 15, 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by chance88088 (Post 20755459)
Unfortunately (for those of us who live in the UK and also have a US address and can obtain the credit card) only good on flights originating in the US. As I just found out as I tried to book a flight back to the US for Christmas in the latest sale.

So it is rather misleading for the email to say: "When you book any British Airways flight . . .".

By the way, if you are old enough to join AARP, you could benefit from AARP discounts as well as the Chase discount. You can, of course, nest ex-US tickets between ex-UK tickets.

If nothing else, at least the Chase BA Visa avoids BA's CC charges.

larryflyer May 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by layz (Post 20754854)
Looks like the same offer as those in the UK with the bmi diamond club credit cards have received.

Even though the annual fee is higher on the BA PP Amex than the bmi plus cards for some reason this offer has not been extended to those who just hold that card.

<pedant>

bmi cards now rebranded as MBNA Diamond Club cards (removing all mention of bmi).

Only the fee-charging Diamond Club cards are eligible for the 10% off BA flight bookings, not the free cards :-(

</pedant>

More significantly, the Chase offer (in the USA) gives 10% off the entire price, including taxes, fees and carrier charges. The new MBNA offer (in the UK) clearly states "Discount valid for flight purchase only and excludes taxes, fees and carrier charges."

josephstern May 15, 2013 1:55 pm

I can't say I've seen a coupon that gives a discount on taxes before. I guess BA just eats that part. Or maybe the taxes are based on the fare, so if the fare goes down, so do the taxes.

Globaliser May 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 20756705)
I can't say I've seen a coupon that gives a discount on taxes before. I guess BA just eats that part. Or maybe the taxes are based on the fare, so if the fare goes down, so do the taxes.

BA has run quite a few promotions in the UK that are 10% off the total, so these are different from (eg) the shareholders discount which is off the base fare only.

Depending on what ticket you're buying, much of the additional discount (compared to 10% off base fare) may well just be the 10% discounted off the fuel surcharge anyway, which many here would regard as fairer than only 10% off the base fare.

David-A May 15, 2013 5:58 pm

10% off the fare+fuel surcharge would be a proper discount.
10% off the fare is frequently trivial such that cashback from another sales channel can be greater than it.

Crampedin13A May 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by David-A (Post 20757918)
10% off the fare is frequently trivial such that cashback from another sales channel can be greater than it.

That feature is one of the things that is actually worth having the RBC BA Visa in Canada over the RBC Avion Visa that people overlook.

amargrossa May 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by David-A (Post 20757918)

I Believe the 10% applies to the total price
fare + taxes + fees (including surcharge)

I've used the 10% off many times

since my work only permits Y travel, I usually pay the extra to get to WTP, my overlords are happy I got them 10% off, I get 2.5 miles for every $1 spent on the ticket - and I get to travel in WTP (and uua to CW on occassion) for barely anything

David-A May 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by amargrossa (Post 20758823)
I Believe the 10% applies to the total price
fare + taxes + fees (including surcharge)

It might well do, I wasn't actually referring to the Chase offer, I was following on from Globalisers post above mine, pointing out the difference between a 10% off total and the UK exBMI credit card discount and also shareholder discounts of 10% - which only take it off the fare element.

It would be understandable to exclude taxes and 3rd party fees.

fenax May 16, 2013 12:14 am

Is this compatible with upgrading WTP to Club? I had a WTP flight booked with the 10% off, but when upgrading with Avios over the phone they said they had to cancel the 10% discount.

Thanks

amargrossa May 16, 2013 1:42 am

Originally Posted by fenax (Post 20759225)
Is this compatible with upgrading WTP to Club? I had a WTP flight booked with the 10% off, but when upgrading with Avios over the phone they said they had to cancel the 10% discount.

Thanks

Welcome to Flyertalk Fenax (rather congratulations on your first post^)

I did this successfully on a recent multi-city ticket in March, and was not asked to return the 10%

I had checked with BAEC's silver line before booking because I had read a few isolated posts which mirrored your experience. I explained to them clearly what I wanted to do, and she politely checked, then re-checked with her supervisor to confirm to that the 10% would not be revoked. It would not however, apply to any additional fees during the UuA process.

But now you've gotten me worried and I'm going to check my statements incase they did reverse it without telling me.

I had started this thread to discuss this particular issue, but didnt hear from anyone who had shared your experience.

lotus918 May 23, 2013 8:49 am

Originally Posted by ;
Is this compatible with upgrading WTP to Club? I had a WTP flight booked with the 10% off , but when upgrading with Avios over the phone they said they had to cancel the 10% discount.

Simliar experience here. Booked online WT+ and upgraded to CW for 25K avios but couldn't find the place to add the 10% discount code so just booked it anyway. Called up and the EC folks next day and they told me I can't get 10% discount on an upgrade (which makes no sense to me as I've clearly paid the full WT+ fare). They also said if I'd done it online it does work even though it shouldn't, which again wasn't my experience as my booking was online.

Anyway, we're only talking a ~$300, irritating but not exactly going to break the bank!

lotus918 May 23, 2013 8:51 am

It just occurred to me I didn't use the ba.com/chase10 link to make the booking, probably why I didn't get the 10%

amargrossa May 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by lotus918 (Post 20798487)
It just occurred to me I didn't use the ba.com/chase10 link to make the booking, probably why I didn't get the 10%

You need to add in the discount code at the top right on the page where it gives you the fare

I did the UUA on a phone booking so cant really comment

Nevsky Dec 2, 2017 11:11 pm

Thought it is time to update this thread. This has been extended each year since and I have heard this is likely to be extended through 2018. Announcement expected soon.

MADPhil Dec 3, 2017 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Nevsky (Post 29127941)
Thought it is time to update this thread. This has been extended each year since and I have heard this is likely to be extended through 2018. Announcement expected soon.

They left it a bit late this year!

zabes64 Dec 14, 2017 11:07 am

Already the 14th and still hasn't been updated has me worried, it's the single reason I keep the Chase BA Visa. Need to make a booking soon as well, anyone hear anything?

zabes64 Dec 15, 2017 10:53 am

UPDATE

The cardofferu will be extended on December 18th though Dec 31, 2018.

MADPhil Dec 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by zabes64 (Post 29178057)
The cardofferu will be extended on December 18th though Dec 31, 2018.

So they are going to have a two day sale this weekend?

zabes64 Dec 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Bookable now

Was able to use the code today for flights next year.

oskidunker May 21, 2018 4:06 pm

When will the 10% visa discount be xtended?

As far as I can determine, it ends June 30, 2018. Am looking to book Club Workd for a trip July 2019 Do they usually only do this for six months at a time?

eae May 21, 2018 5:53 pm

They tend to extend it every year in October or November...

Fly2Where May 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by eae (Post 29779492)
They tend to extend it every year in October or November...

The current promo is ending in Jun 2018....

ctownflyer Jun 12, 2018 10:43 am

Any update on this?

YYCCL3 Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am

Not 100% related, but the 10% discount for RBC BA Visa cardholders (Canada) was not extended. It just expired recently and there is no other info.

scubadu Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am

I think one thing worth noting is that this discount isn't even listed as a card benefit any longer. It seems this was one of the key value propositions for the card and I'd assume they would advertise the benefit if was going to continue.

I'll admit, I never followed this one as close as the AARP discount, so not sure what their "MO" is for renewing this discount, but its June 12th now, so definitely cutting it close.

Funny thing is they definitely do promote this discount as a benefit on the recently released Iberia card:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...fits/discounts

One never knows, but seems like this one might be ending...

Regards

luitje Jun 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 29858404)
One never knows, but seems like this one might be ending...
Regards

If it does, they are effectively stripping the only advantage this card has over AmEx. Amex now converts at 1:1 rate with Gold accruing 3x on airline tickets, 2x on gas, restaraunts, and supermarkets, and 1x on all other spend vs. Chase's 3x no BA only and 1x on everything else. 10% discount is actually the only reason I still keep BA card in my wallet (saved me quite a bit on BA tickets). Only perk they'll then have left is transfering points in increments of 1 (AmEx only does in 1K increments). Is Chase killing the card?

scubadu Jun 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by luitje (Post 29859702)
If it does, they are effectively stripping the only advantage this card has over AmEx. Amex now converts at 1:1 rate with Gold accruing 3x on airline tickets, 2x on gas, restaraunts, and supermarkets, and 1x on all other spend vs. Chase's 3x no BA only and 1x on everything else. 10% discount is actually the only reason I still keep BA card in my wallet (saved me quite a bit on BA tickets). Only perk they'll then have left is transferштп points in increments of 1 (AmEx only does in 1K increments). Is Chase killing the card?

Agreed, this benefit is the most compelling part of the card.

No idea if they are killing it, but they just started offering the Iberia card.

Regards

CKBA Jun 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 29858249)
Not 100% related, but the 10% discount for RBC BA Visa cardholders (Canada) was not extended. It just expired recently and there is no other info.

I used it for a couple of flights in September 2018 - so extended beyond June 2018.

YYCCL3 Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by CKBA (Post 29859818)
I used it for a couple of flights in September 2018 - so extended beyond June 2018.

Correct, the discount was good for flights up until December 31, 2018 for bookings made prior to June 2018. But the discount is no longer offered on new bookings.

CKBA Jun 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 29859936)
Correct, the discount was good for flights up until December 31, 2018 for bookings made prior to June 2018. But the discount is no longer offered on new bookings.

Darn, I was able book flights with BA because of the 10% discount - will have to book AA or another US carrier now... :-(

Gshumway Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Chase's 3x no BA only and 1x on everything else

Actually Chase lists both IB and EI purchases also earning 3x:

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...ritish-airways

AT A GLANCETake your dream getaway soonerEarn 3 Avios on purchases with British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus & 1 Avios on all other purchases. Redeem Avios on British Airways, American Airlines, Aer Lingus, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, OpenSkies, Qantas, Qatar Airways and all of the other oneworld carriers. Terms apply.*

ExpatExp Jun 13, 2018 2:59 am

If it does, they are effectively stripping the only advantage this card has over AmEx. Amex now converts at 1:1 rate with Gold accruing 3x on airline tickets, 2x on gas, restaraunts, and supermarkets, and 1x on all other spend vs. Chase's 3x no BA only and 1x on everything else… Only perk they'll then have left is transferштп points in increments of 1 (AmEx only does in 1K increments).

Thank you for the analysis, luitje. I'm rubbish at working these things out. So if the 10% off discount goes away, it's better to cancel the card and use my Amex Platinum for BA spend? I don't mind the 1K transfer increments.

luitje Jun 13, 2018 7:59 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp (Post 29860971)
So if the 10% off discount goes away, it's better to cancel the card and use my Amex Platinum for BA spend? I don't mind the 1K transfer increments.

Yes, you will be accruing 5x miles with AmEx Plat, 70% more than with BA Chase. Also, AmEx routinely has promotions with BA at around August-October, when they convert with a 30-50% bonus. I normally collect miles throughout the year and then tranfer to my BA account at the tme of these promos. I don't think with 1:1 rate they will keep 50% promo rate, but even at 20%, you will be getting 6x avios per dollar - twice the amount you get with Chase BA card.

oskidunker Jun 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Everything I have found says the discount ends June 3oth. July we should know if it will be extended.

But I found this on One Mile at a Time.
in order to take advantage of this offer, just enter code CARDOFFERU on the booking page in the “Promotion code” section. Note that there seems to be a new version of the British Airways website (which I find to be awful), and on that I can’t find where to enter the code, so I recommend using the old version of the site.

skippythelizard Jun 15, 2018 8:55 pm

I booked a flight using this code a couple days ago for a flight in August ...so the book by June 30, fly by December 31 may still apply. But I do have some advice about using the promo code with the new website. The new website does have a link to add a promotion code, and when you click it (after selecting flights), it brings the booking to the old version of the website. Entering the promo code at this stage would give me an error and a blank promotion. I got around this by logging out before going through the flight selection....adding the promo code, then logging in when prompted for passenger info.