Wiki Posts
Search

Chase 10% Discount and UuA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Chase 10% Discount and UuA

Am planning a fair bit of long haul travel this year for both business and pleasure and was wondering if it was possible to book WT+ tickets in T with the Chase 10% discount, and then upgrade to CW using avios (provided availability exists)

The BA book with cash and upgrade using avios option doesnt allow for promotional codes to be used - so I wonder whether its possible to UuA later in MMB

I read one OT mention in another thread of someone being asked to pay the discounted amount (i.e. the discount had to be cancelled) before upgrading - but this wasnt addressed/followed up.

Has anyone had any experience with this? would appreciate your thoughts.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by amargrossa
Am planning a fair bit of long haul travel this year for both business and pleasure and was wondering if it was possible to book WT+ tickets in T with the Chase 10% discount, and then upgrade to CW using avios (provided availability exists)

The BA book with cash and upgrade using avios option doesnt allow for promotional codes to be used - so I wonder whether its possible to UuA later in MMB

I read one OT mention in another thread of someone being asked to pay the discounted amount (i.e. the discount had to be cancelled) before upgrading - but this wasnt addressed/followed up.

Has anyone had any experience with this? would appreciate your thoughts.
As far as I'm aware there's no problem combining the 10% discount with a subsequent upgrade. One thing to watch out for is that you cannot utilise the 10% discount unless all flights in the booking are operated by BA. You can't include BA codeshares on other airlines.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I've done it on several occasions, including a trip to Dublin this past December. As golfmad notes, the 10% discount applies only to itineraries consisting solely of flights on BA metal, which limits your options (for instance, for Dublin, no flights on Aer Lingus LHR-DUB). If you find UuA will work for you, remember the discount applies on those charges as well.

Over the past couple of years, I've probably saved close to $1000 in booking flights for myself and traveling companions using the Chase BA discount--more than offsetting the almost $200 I've paid in annual fees.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
How does the 10% discount apply. Who is it available to?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by allturnleft
How does the 10% discount apply. Who is it available to?
First of all, you have to be logged into your BAEC account. There's a promotional code to enter during the purchase process and there's a check to determine whether the logged-in user is a valid user of the promotional code. Only BA Chase card holders with the card linked to their BAEC account can use the code. Hope that answers both your questions.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Full details of how the discount is applied and how to get the necessary card are available at: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...0/public/en_us. The T&Cs define those who may use the discount and the requirement to pay with a BA Chase Visa Card.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks golfmad and lwildernrova! I've used the discount successfully before when booking for myself and others in Y, but never used it for UuA in MMB, or Book with cash and Upgrade with Avios

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
If you find UuA will work for you, remember the discount applies on those charges as well..
where would one enter the promo code? or can this only be done on the phone?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Thanks golfmad and lwildernrova! I've used the discount successfully before when booking for myself and others in Y, but never used it for UuA in MMB, or Book with cash and Upgrade with Avios

where would one enter the promo code? or can this only be done on the phone?
When you get to the first screen where you get the total cost of your itinerary, you should see a click down box that says "Do you have a promotion code or eVoucher?" Click on that and there are two entries. You want to click the radio button for "yes" by "Do you have a promotion code?" Enter the Chase BA code.

Keep in mind that the discount is NOT offered automatically for paying with a Chase BA card; you must follow these steps to get the discount.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:32 am

Keep in mind that the discount is NOT offered automatically for paying with a Chase BA card; you must follow these steps to get the discount.
I know. We had to go to a wedding in London at the end of December last year, and I didn't expect that BA would be my choice (it usually is, but we thought we were going to use AMEX points where other airlines are much cheaper due to the fees). When we couldn't do that it got so exasperating trying to get the right dates and flights that I found the best deal was WTP+. Never having used the 10% discount before I had forgotten about it in the heat of the moment and only realized a few days later that I could have saved $250! Won't do that again. Still, we were upgraded to Club both ways, so I am not complaining.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:40 am
Original Poster

When you get to the first screen where you get the total cost of your itinerary, you should see a click down box that says "Do you have a promotion code or eVoucher?" Click on that and there are two entries. You want to click the radio button for "yes" by "Do you have a promotion code?" Enter the Chase BA code.
Chase BA card; you must follow these steps to get the discount.
I know how to do it for a regular cash booking, but was referring to entering it when booking and upgrading (the option to do so seems to be missing)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:57 am

I know how to do it for a regular cash booking, but was referring to entering it when booking and upgrading (the option to do so seems to be missing)
I know I've done it online, but cannot create a dummy booking in order to track down the steps necessary. You can also call BAEC, which is how it was done on my last booking in December when I upgraded only the IAD-LHR portion of an IAD-LHR-DUB-LHR-IAD itinerary.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help

I guess I'll have to do it by phone since I can't seem to find the option online (for book and upgrade)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:49 am

afaik, the 10% discount only applies to online bookings, thru the chase link.

ie, you can't call in and get the discount, and there is no way to follow the Chase link to "book with cash and upgrade"

[I posted a thread a while back asking about this]

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-work-mfu.html

but you might be able to book the discount Chase fare online, then mfu later-- if available, but I am not clear whether there are any additional fees attached to a post purchase MFU vs "cash and upgrade".

please let us know what you find
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

So... upon speaking to a wonderful lady on the BAEC Silver line who humoured my numerous questions (and even checked with her supervisor to double check) I have some "answers"

According to the lovely lady, the ONLY way to apply the 10% to a WTP-CW UuA booking is to:

1. Book (whether online or on the phone) in WTP using the 10% discount - making sure you are booking onto a flight where reward availability exists in CW

2. Then Upgrade using Avios (whether online or on the phone) and pay additional YQ (approx $370 ex JFK) where the 10% does not apply

However...
lwildernorva wrote:
I've done it on several occasions, including a trip to Dublin this past December. As golfmad notes, the 10% discount applies only to itineraries consisting solely of flights on BA metal, which limits your options (for instance, for Dublin, no flights on Aer Lingus LHR-DUB). If you find UuA will work for you, remember the discount applies on those charges as well.
lwildernorva, It would be great to know if/how you succeeded in having the 10% applied to the UuA charges (additional YQ) as well
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dr benway
afaik, the 10% discount only applies to online bookings, thru the chase link.

ie, you can't call in and get the discount, and there is no way to follow the Chase link to "book with cash and upgrade"
You can indeed call in and have the discount applied - as I did, when for some odd reason my BA Chase Card wasn't working on BA.com. Granted it was a tedious process that involved getting called back after 20 minutes because several overlords had to approve the discount application - nonetheless the 10% was applied via phone (though this was not on a "book with cash and upgrade" ticket)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.