10% off BA Flights with Chase BA Visa

Old May 15, 2013, 8:03 am
Original Poster

10% off BA Flights with Chase BA Visa

Not a bad deal:

Book now to receive our popular 10% discount throughout the summer and the rest of 2013. When you book any British Airways flight in any cabin using your British Airways Visa Signature card, you can continue to save 10% on your entire purchase price, including taxes, fees and carrier charges. As an added bonus, you can also apply this discount on bookings for up to eight friends and family members traveling on the same flight. Simply book your flight online at ba.com/chase10, use promotion code CARDOFFERU, and travel before December 31, 2013.*
Link ends here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_us#
Old May 15, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Looks like the same offer as those in the UK with the bmi diamond club credit cards have received.

Even though the annual fee is higher on the BA PP Amex than the bmi plus cards for some reason this offer has not been extended to those who just hold that card.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Chase/BA have made this offer since I've had the card in 2011. Each year, BA indicates the offer will continue through the last day of the current year but then extends the offer into the following year.

So long as BA extends this benefit and you take one trip per year, the Chase card is well worth the $95 annual fee. I have saved over $500 this year in booking tickets for trips to Ireland and Italy for my sister and me.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
I've had the card since 2011 too but forgot about this offer and the email reminded me.

Brings some of the CW Summer Sale Europe fares down another $150-200 or so. I'm a little annoyed it doesn't work on IB flights (eg. JFK-MAD), since they market JV routes and prices, etc these days.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Unfortunately (for those of us who live in the UK and also have a US address and can obtain the credit card) only good on flights originating in the US. As I just found out as I tried to book a flight back to the US for Christmas in the latest sale.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by chance88088
Unfortunately (for those of us who live in the UK and also have a US address and can obtain the credit card) only good on flights originating in the US. As I just found out as I tried to book a flight back to the US for Christmas in the latest sale.
So it is rather misleading for the email to say: "When you book any British Airways flight . . .".

By the way, if you are old enough to join AARP, you could benefit from AARP discounts as well as the Chase discount. You can, of course, nest ex-US tickets between ex-UK tickets.

If nothing else, at least the Chase BA Visa avoids BA's CC charges.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Originally Posted by layz
Looks like the same offer as those in the UK with the bmi diamond club credit cards have received.

Even though the annual fee is higher on the BA PP Amex than the bmi plus cards for some reason this offer has not been extended to those who just hold that card.
<pedant>

bmi cards now rebranded as MBNA Diamond Club cards (removing all mention of bmi).

Only the fee-charging Diamond Club cards are eligible for the 10% off BA flight bookings, not the free cards :-(

</pedant>

More significantly, the Chase offer (in the USA) gives 10% off the entire price, including taxes, fees and carrier charges. The new MBNA offer (in the UK) clearly states "Discount valid for flight purchase only and excludes taxes, fees and carrier charges."
Old May 15, 2013, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

I can't say I've seen a coupon that gives a discount on taxes before. I guess BA just eats that part. Or maybe the taxes are based on the fare, so if the fare goes down, so do the taxes.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by josephstern
I can't say I've seen a coupon that gives a discount on taxes before. I guess BA just eats that part. Or maybe the taxes are based on the fare, so if the fare goes down, so do the taxes.
BA has run quite a few promotions in the UK that are 10% off the total, so these are different from (eg) the shareholders discount which is off the base fare only.

Depending on what ticket you're buying, much of the additional discount (compared to 10% off base fare) may well just be the 10% discounted off the fuel surcharge anyway, which many here would regard as fairer than only 10% off the base fare.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: MUCCI
10% off the fare+fuel surcharge would be a proper discount.
10% off the fare is frequently trivial such that cashback from another sales channel can be greater than it.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by David-A
10% off the fare is frequently trivial such that cashback from another sales channel can be greater than it.
That feature is one of the things that is actually worth having the RBC BA Visa in Canada over the RBC Avion Visa that people overlook.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by David-A
I Believe the 10% applies to the total price
fare + taxes + fees (including surcharge)

I've used the 10% off many times

since my work only permits Y travel, I usually pay the extra to get to WTP, my overlords are happy I got them 10% off, I get 2.5 miles for every $1 spent on the ticket - and I get to travel in WTP (and uua to CW on occassion) for barely anything
Old May 15, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by amargrossa
I Believe the 10% applies to the total price
fare + taxes + fees (including surcharge)
It might well do, I wasn't actually referring to the Chase offer, I was following on from Globalisers post above mine, pointing out the difference between a 10% off total and the UK exBMI credit card discount and also shareholder discounts of 10% - which only take it off the fare element.

It would be understandable to exclude taxes and 3rd party fees.

Last edited by David-A; May 15, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Old May 16, 2013, 12:14 am

Is this compatible with upgrading WTP to Club? I had a WTP flight booked with the 10% off, but when upgrading with Avios over the phone they said they had to cancel the 10% discount.

Thanks
Old May 16, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by fenax
Is this compatible with upgrading WTP to Club? I had a WTP flight booked with the 10% off, but when upgrading with Avios over the phone they said they had to cancel the 10% discount.

Thanks
Welcome to Flyertalk Fenax (rather congratulations on your first post^)

I did this successfully on a recent multi-city ticket in March, and was not asked to return the 10%

I had checked with BAEC's silver line before booking because I had read a few isolated posts which mirrored your experience. I explained to them clearly what I wanted to do, and she politely checked, then re-checked with her supervisor to confirm to that the 10% would not be revoked. It would not however, apply to any additional fees during the UuA process.

But now you've gotten me worried and I'm going to check my statements incase they did reverse it without telling me.

I had started this thread to discuss this particular issue, but didnt hear from anyone who had shared your experience.

Last edited by amargrossa; May 16, 2013 at 1:57 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.