FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   10% off BA Flights with Chase BA Visa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1467338-10-off-ba-flights-chase-ba-visa.html)

luitje Jun 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 29858404)
One never knows, but seems like this one might be ending...
Regards

If it does, they are effectively stripping the only advantage this card has over AmEx. Amex now converts at 1:1 rate with Gold accruing 3x on airline tickets, 2x on gas, restaraunts, and supermarkets, and 1x on all other spend vs. Chase's 3x no BA only and 1x on everything else. 10% discount is actually the only reason I still keep BA card in my wallet (saved me quite a bit on BA tickets). Only perk they'll then have left is transfering points in increments of 1 (AmEx only does in 1K increments). Is Chase killing the card?

scubadu Jun 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by luitje (Post 29859702)
If it does, they are effectively stripping the only advantage this card has over AmEx. Amex now converts at 1:1 rate with Gold accruing 3x on airline tickets, 2x on gas, restaraunts, and supermarkets, and 1x on all other spend vs. Chase's 3x no BA only and 1x on everything else. 10% discount is actually the only reason I still keep BA card in my wallet (saved me quite a bit on BA tickets). Only perk they'll then have left is transferштп points in increments of 1 (AmEx only does in 1K increments). Is Chase killing the card?

Agreed, this benefit is the most compelling part of the card.

No idea if they are killing it, but they just started offering the Iberia card.

Regards

CKBA Jun 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 29858249)
Not 100% related, but the 10% discount for RBC BA Visa cardholders (Canada) was not extended. It just expired recently and there is no other info.

I used it for a couple of flights in September 2018 - so extended beyond June 2018.

YYCCL3 Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by CKBA (Post 29859818)
I used it for a couple of flights in September 2018 - so extended beyond June 2018.

Correct, the discount was good for flights up until December 31, 2018 for bookings made prior to June 2018. But the discount is no longer offered on new bookings.

CKBA Jun 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 29859936)
Correct, the discount was good for flights up until December 31, 2018 for bookings made prior to June 2018. But the discount is no longer offered on new bookings.

Darn, I was able book flights with BA because of the 10% discount - will have to book AA or another US carrier now... :-(

Gshumway Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Chase's 3x no BA only and 1x on everything else

Actually Chase lists both IB and EI purchases also earning 3x:

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...ritish-airways

AT A GLANCETake your dream getaway soonerEarn 3 Avios on purchases with British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus & 1 Avios on all other purchases. Redeem Avios on British Airways, American Airlines, Aer Lingus, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, OpenSkies, Qantas, Qatar Airways and all of the other oneworld carriers. Terms apply.*

ExpatExp Jun 13, 2018 2:59 am

If it does, they are effectively stripping the only advantage this card has over AmEx. Amex now converts at 1:1 rate with Gold accruing 3x on airline tickets, 2x on gas, restaraunts, and supermarkets, and 1x on all other spend vs. Chase's 3x no BA only and 1x on everything else… Only perk they'll then have left is transferштп points in increments of 1 (AmEx only does in 1K increments).

Thank you for the analysis, luitje. I'm rubbish at working these things out. So if the 10% off discount goes away, it's better to cancel the card and use my Amex Platinum for BA spend? I don't mind the 1K transfer increments.

luitje Jun 13, 2018 7:59 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp (Post 29860971)
So if the 10% off discount goes away, it's better to cancel the card and use my Amex Platinum for BA spend? I don't mind the 1K transfer increments.

Yes, you will be accruing 5x miles with AmEx Plat, 70% more than with BA Chase. Also, AmEx routinely has promotions with BA at around August-October, when they convert with a 30-50% bonus. I normally collect miles throughout the year and then tranfer to my BA account at the tme of these promos. I don't think with 1:1 rate they will keep 50% promo rate, but even at 20%, you will be getting 6x avios per dollar - twice the amount you get with Chase BA card.

oskidunker Jun 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Everything I have found says the discount ends June 3oth. July we should know if it will be extended.

But I found this on One Mile at a Time.
in order to take advantage of this offer, just enter code CARDOFFERU on the booking page in the “Promotion code” section. Note that there seems to be a new version of the British Airways website (which I find to be awful), and on that I can’t find where to enter the code, so I recommend using the old version of the site.

skippythelizard Jun 15, 2018 8:55 pm

I booked a flight using this code a couple days ago for a flight in August ...so the book by June 30, fly by December 31 may still apply. But I do have some advice about using the promo code with the new website. The new website does have a link to add a promotion code, and when you click it (after selecting flights), it brings the booking to the old version of the website. Entering the promo code at this stage would give me an error and a blank promotion. I got around this by logging out before going through the flight selection....adding the promo code, then logging in when prompted for passenger info.

davewho?? Jun 25, 2018 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by skippythelizard (Post 29871915)
I booked a flight using this code a couple days ago for a flight in August ...so the book by June 30, fly by December 31 may still apply. But I do have some advice about using the promo code with the new website. The new website does have a link to add a promotion code, and when you click it (after selecting flights), it brings the booking to the old version of the website. Entering the promo code at this stage would give me an error and a blank promotion. I got around this by logging out before going through the flight selection....adding the promo code, then logging in when prompted for passenger info.

The workaround I just did was using the "multi city" search and putting in my flights which were return. It still displays the old site and I was able to add the code then to receive the discount. When I tried using the standard R/T search this wasn't available.

Hope this helps some of you.

scubadu Jun 26, 2018 4:41 am

Well, I don't think the outlook for this discount continuing is very good. It's now June 26th. I don't think they ever let the AARP discount get this close to the wire before extending.

And as mentioned, the fact that this discount is NOT listed as a card benefit in the marketing literature here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...ritish-airways

seems pretty telling to me.

Regards

oskidunker Jun 26, 2018 8:23 am

Then I am booking Virgin Atlantic in J

Given the same price, I will go with the Virgin experience as every seat has isle access.Plus I dont have to pay to select a seat.

golfmad Jul 2, 2018 9:41 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 29907489)
Well, I don't think the outlook for this discount continuing is very good. It's now June 26th. I don't think they ever let the AARP discount get this close to the wire before extending.

And as mentioned, the fact that this discount is NOT listed as a card benefit in the marketing literature here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...ritish-airways

seems pretty telling to me.

Regards

Looks like it's been extended to December 2018 using code CHASEBA2018

See ba.com/chase10

oskidunker Jul 2, 2018 7:28 pm

Guess that wont help me as I need to start travel July 10,2019

good deal for those that can take it.