Wiki Posts
Search

BA is too expensive ..

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
BA is too expensive ..

Yup, wanted to do DXB-DUB on a RT, and KLM is almost HALF the price of the BA round tip ...

Oh well, I will fly BA on another flight later ( on the money I saved on this RT).
Mind you, economy will be hideous ...

Hopefully, there will be a pay-for-entrance lounge in AMS...

Still a loyal BAEC silver ... When I can afford it!
Old May 7, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tmac-100
Yup, wanted to do DXB-DUB on a RT, and KLM is almost HALF the price of the BA round tip ...

Oh well, I will fly BA on another flight later ( on the money I saved on this RT).
Mind you, economy will be hideous ...

Hopefully, there will be a pay-for-entrance lounge in AMS...

Still a loyal BAEC silver ... When I can afford it!
Commiserations. Like many people, I guess, I spent a great many years flying sub-optimal routes with crappy airlines because they were affordable. If that's your situation, take comfort. If you follow the path of others who've served their time, you'll eventually find yourself more often flying the airlines (and cabin!) you really want. Either because you have more resources, or your spending priorities change, or you spend way too much time obsessing over ways to collect miles.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by fripperies
Commiserations. Like many people, I guess, I spent a great many years flying sub-optimal routes with crappy airlines because they were affordable. If that's your situation, take comfort. If you follow the path of others who've served their time, you'll eventually find yourself more often flying the airlines (and cabin!) you really want. Either because you have more resources, or your spending priorities change, or you spend way too much time obsessing over ways to collect miles.
Everyone has individual choces and preferences. But I would not lump KLM into the "crappy" bucket. Ay a savings of a 100 %, the trade off has to be between actual differences rather than a genaralization ?
Old May 7, 2013, 1:09 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
BA often are I'm afraid. My PA today priced up my regular LHR-VIE-LHR flight and BA were around £450 in Y and LH / OS were circa £290.

Pretty much identical flight timings too, departures both ways being within 40 minutes of each other. Sorry BA, not this time
Old May 7, 2013, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
Everyone has individual choces and preferences. But I would not lump KLM into the "crappy" bucket. Ay a savings of a 100 %, the trade off has to be between actual differences rather than a genaralization ?
50% saving surely - 100% saving would make a nice free flight

The OP seems to me to have made a sensible decision to take the best value airline of the day and not blinkeredly book BA despite the additional cost

If the OP has a Priority Pass card, there are 2PP lounges at AMS , one in the Schengen departure area and another in the non-Schengen departure area
Old May 7, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I remember for my 21st b'day (two decades back now, cough....) my folks gave me some cash. I spent it on a summer holiday in SE Asia. Flew KLM as they had the best price - £400 NCL-AMS-SIN and back. I survived. Had lounge access at NCL by virtue of my Air UK card, then spent a pleasant couple of hours being introduced to wheat beer in an airside bar at AMS, so I thought I was doing well on my adventure.

Then I got upgraded on the AMS-SIN leg.

Let me think when BA last upgraded me - oh yes, that's right - they've never done it

Bitter, moi?
Old May 7, 2013, 1:49 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by fripperies
Commiserations. Like many people, I guess, I spent a great many years flying sub-optimal routes with crappy airlines because they were affordable. If that's your situation, take comfort.

KL are a pretty good airline when flying Y and if you're lucky you can usually get a BARGAIN upgrade from Y to C for about £160 on the AMS-DXB route when you check in. I did this route a lot back in 2012 and was always able to get an upgrade on the route, even upstairs on a 747 a few times too.

Not to be sniffed at if you can fly KL in C for less than the cost to fly BA in Y using the above method.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T1 to T5 transit at LHR v AMS....
Old May 7, 2013, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Let me think when BA last upgraded me - oh yes, that's right - they've never done it

Bitter, moi?
Never?! Ever? Wow. It isn't cos you is a Vegetarian is it?

Much as though I prefer BA, for that price difference I would definitely go KLM. Having said that, it would not be unusual to get a great long haul flight price in J on BA starting and ending in AMS, if KLM or Air France are the only effective competition.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Everybody makes choices everyday. It's about perceived value. If KL presents better value, OP should fly KL.
Old May 7, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Never?! Ever? Wow. It isn't cos you is a Vegetarian is it?
Nope, never. As noted, KLM have op-upped me, so have United (a good few times), Northwest (a couple of times), Swiss, etc.

Admittedly it was 1999 when I last set foot in BA's World Traveller cabin and I haven't been in WT+ since 2001, but even so.....
Old May 7, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
The downside to KL is the 9 across 777 in Y.
Old May 7, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
The downside to KL is the 9 across 777 in Y.
erm, just like BA have 9 across in the 777? I think the pinch point is 10 across (as BA tried and then retreated from & KLM seem to have)
Old May 7, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

The OP seems to me to have made a sensible decision to take the best value airline of the day and not blinkeredly book BA despite the additional cost

If the OP has a Priority Pass card, there are 2PP lounges at AMS , one in the Schengen departure area and another in the non-Schengen departure area

Point well taken.

Would have been better if I said ' " can fly two R/Ts on KLM for the price BA wanted for one ' !
Old May 7, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

It would cost him 50% less to fly on KLM, but 100% more to fly on BA. HMPS was talking about 100% savings so you are correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.